Examples of current inflation - add yours!

That must be regional. In the Upper Midwest, it’s not uncommon to receive cash discounts, but I haven’t seen an up charge for credit card use.

We are in California on vacation and starting to.see restaurants charging an additional 3% if you use a credit card to pay the bill. Anyone else see that? Geez we thought it was a good deal to get 2% cash back for using the card.

I haven't seen it here, yet. Isn't that a violation of the contract with the credit card company and the merchant? I'd always thought that it was, that being why sometimes there is a "discount" for paying cash but not a surcharge for using a credit card. This is perhaps what the lawyers call a "distinction without a difference" but I have seen that.

I haven't seen it here, yet. Isn't that a violation of the contract with the credit card company and the merchant? I'd always thought that it was, that being why sometimes there is a "discount" for paying cash but not a surcharge for using a credit card. This is perhaps what the lawyers call a "distinction without a difference" but I have seen that.

I believe that was overturned years ago. I've seen way too many merchants doing this so I doubt they are all violating their credit card contract.

Some government agencies also charge a fee if paying by credit card. I know my county tax commission will require an upcharge if paying real estate taxes by credit card but not if paying by Tele-Check from my checking account.

At Costco - 2 pack of Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread- $4.19 pre-pandemic, $4.29 through earlier this year, now $4.99.

Nature's Own 2 bread 2-pack stayed at $4.99 through last month. Bought it today, price is now $5.39.

From a local church FaceBook page: "The cost of donuts has gone up about 65%. Donuts are now $1.69 each, and the other goodies such as apple fritters are now $2.89 each. Our weekly bill from (Local Business Name) Donuts is now $37.10 up from $23.00." It goes on to say that they rely on donations in the basket at the coffee table and not the general collection.

I know that decent banked goods cost money, but wow. I wonder if they'll just start asking for volunteers to bake cookies, which is what my previous church did.

Definitely have seen an increase in restaurants and repair shops starting to charge 3%. Used to never see this.

The company that just repaired my roof charges 3% if you use a credit card.

House painters and floor cleaners within the last 2 years, here in CA, also quoted 3% CC surcharge.

Only my dentist - though it's a "discount" instead of a surcharge (if you DON'T charge - you save (IIRC) 3%.)
Time to negotiate with your dentist [emoji6]

My dentist gives me 10% discount if I pay cash.

From a local church FaceBook page: "The cost of donuts has gone up about 65%. Donuts are now $1.69 each, and the other goodies such as apple fritters are now $2.89 each. Our weekly bill from (Local Business Name) Donuts is now $37.10 up from $23.00." It goes on to say that they rely on donations in the basket at the coffee table and not the general collection.

I know that decent banked goods cost money, but wow. I wonder if they'll just start asking for volunteers to bake cookies, which is what my previous church did.

Proof in graph below. The gap between bakery goods and general food inflation has widened. Year over year bakery is 7%.

I'm not much into doughnuts. I was at my local convenience store getting coffee, and I had to do a double take to see doughnuts priced at $2.39 each. For a doughnut in a case, possibly frozen? This is nuts.

Attachments

• bakery.JPG
    bakery.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 21
yes, this seems like gouging. Who will buy?

The successful business owner will set the price at the level that maximizes his profit. If he can do that at $2.39, so be it. There are alternatives to doughnuts, like chocolate chip cookies which are easy to make at home. :D. Economic man knows this and plans accordingly.

We go to Costco at least once a week and of course during the afternoon it is retired people .Everyone complaining about the high inflation . Can’t put into print what some say . But we always went to Fantasy Fest in Key West over Halloween . We call our DF who always finds us the good prices …….506.00 a night plus taxes one block from Duval ….With airfare as it is we will be happy to go to the Texas Renascence festival . Camping at the Ren Fest is free. .

That's a bit scary. Not reporting cash sales?
I seriously doubt it. Very honest dentist. He does that because he knows some of us no longer have dental insurance and every little bit helps.

He does that for cleanings and x-rays. For a $5,000 bill I have no idea.

Bought an old Alvarez guitar . I called the manufacturer to get information on the guitar . In 1980 the guitar sold new for 239.00 . He said with todays inflation 239.00 would be 1069.00
WOW.

That's a bit scary. Not reporting cash sales?

I've never actually paid cash. I use a check. Come to think of it, I've never seen cash change hands at my dentist, though I suppose it happens. YMMV

I believe that was overturned years ago. I've seen way too many merchants doing this so I doubt they are all violating their credit card contract.

I suspect that is what happened because we had lunch with some friends a week ago and they were claiming that to charge a 3% surcharge violated the merchant's acreement with the credit card company. I later googled it and got this:
Whether or not credit card surcharges are allowable depends on the state in which the merchant is located. As of 2023, credit card surcharges are legal in 48 states and the District of Columbia. The two states that prohibit surcharges are California and Colorado.

In states where surcharges are allowed, merchants are generally limited to charging a surcharge that is equal to or less than the cost of the credit card processing fee. The maximum surcharge allowed varies by state. For example, in New York, the maximum surcharge is 4% of the transaction amount.

Merchants that charge credit card surcharges are required to disclose the surcharge clearly to customers. The disclosure must be made in writing, either on a sign at the point of sale or on the customer's receipt. ...

I'm not much into doughnuts. I was at my local convenience store getting coffee, and I had to do a double take to see doughnuts priced at $2.39 each. For a doughnut in a case, possibly frozen? This is nuts.

For anyone who enjoys going to Dunkin, and is a member of their rewards program, much of the year you can get a regular donut for $1 when ordering a beverage on the mobile app. Not a big fan of donuts myself either but I'll occasionally get one.

Agreed on the convenience store prices but as someone who bakes cookies for church occasions, I'm always stunned at the cost of decent raw ingredients (butter, not margarine; sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup, real vanilla flavoring, etc.). It makes me suspicious about how they manage to make the ones in the grocery store bakery section (or the packaged varieties such as Sara Lee) for so much less. I know prices of flour and yeast went way up during COVID- apparently everyone went on a baking binge and then started hoarding.

Back
Top Bottom