Extroverts and intellectual conversation: How do you find people

lsimpson33

Dryer sheet aficionado
In normal (non-Covid) times, how do you find intellectuals to converse with?

I just moved from a job where I was surrounded by intellectuals and used to lunchtime conversations such as “what is the meaning of morality?” to an office where everyone is too busy/not interested in having these types of conversations. And I’m finding I need to figure out how to bring some of those conversations back into my life.

I’ve tried joining book clubs, but only one I’ve found has this type of conversation and they only meet every other month. The other book clubs seem more interested in drinking wine and ready simple novels. I’ve even flirted with the idea of taking classes at a local college just to have them, but dread being surrounded by “kids.”

Would it be possible to start a group with the criteria you are looking for, by advertising on social media?

Isn't this site providing you with enough intellectual stimulus?

I just moved from a job where I was surrounded by intellectuals and used to lunchtime conversations such as “what is the meaning of morality?” to an office where everyone is too busy/not interested in having these types of conversations. And I’m finding I need to figure out how to bring some of those conversations back into my life.

I’ve tried joining book clubs, but only one I’ve found has this type of conversation and they only meet every other month. The other book clubs seem more interested in drinking wine and ready simple novels. I’ve even flirted with the idea of taking classes at a local college just to have them, but dread being surrounded by “kids.”

I would check with the college to see if they offer OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) courses. They are open to people 50 and up, and according to all I know who have taken them, they are great. Some are for fun, some are for intellectual stimulation, all are noncredit. Many are taught by retired professors around here. My 82-year-old aunt (retired professor) has taught classics course for years through the program. Most universities of any size have the program.

Good luck; I hope you find your compatible group!

OLLI is a good idea.

You might check meet up.org for a group focused on discussion of ideas.

You used the example of "what is morality," so I'll also mention that you can sometimes find a small group of open-minded seekers in a small group setting at certain churches. They tend to be the exception and might not have the latitude you're looking for, but it's another option.

... but only one I’ve found has this type of conversation and they only meet every other month.

Get involved, and over time suggest they meet up more frequently. Or, make your friends within the group and set up your own play dates outside the club.

I have found 2 sources of intellectual stimulation. The Unitarian church near me has a Sunday morning gathering before the service, that has a speaker make a presentation on some topic. Could be political, scientific, medical, whatever. Before they canceled it due to the V19, I used to go there all the time, and enjoyed it. Very interesting speakers. And they encourage audience participation. I'm not even a member of the Unitarian church, but I donate a modest amount now and then. The general public is welcome to these presentations.

Oh, the other source of intellectual stimulation is the senior center I attend. A group meets once a week to discuss just about anything you feel like.

I’m at a university and have been lucky to have intellectual conversation around me for my entire working life. I’m also in two book clubs, one rather frivolous and social, and one that discusses works of theology, philosophy, or “classic” literature. I actually formed the latter group. If you can’t find what you are looking for, getting even two or three committed people together for a good candid discussion of an intellectual book is very stimulating!

*** Extroverts and intellectual conversation: How do you find people ***

did you mean highly educated or intelligent ( they can be very different )

extroverts that are truly intelligent ( able to apply all that knowledge gained ) are a rare breed , i dare say you might be chasing ( idiot ) savants mostly .

i suppose there is no club for NERDs new you if not you might have to lurk in libraries , book stores or newsstands that have high quality magazines

intellectuals hang around some universities they are not all on sporting scholarships

good luck

I was lucky enough to go to a magnet high school, with the top students from many local high schools. A lot of them are professors, doctors, or researchers, and I hear a lot of very informed opinions on many topics via those high school friends. And from that experience I've learned to make friends with the shyer, nerdier types...like me, except it was normalized in my formative years, so I can be an extrovert among nerds. :)

And now I find that many of those friends have very smart friends of their own, so I've started making online friends via other friends. I've even met quite a few of those in person in previous years.

But more to your question, I've found more interesting people locally by volunteering, particularly at the library. And like John Galt III, I've found a lot of interesting people who are easy to talk to via local Unitarian Universalist churches when we were involved there.

Wow...it's apparently so much harder for you smart people to connect.......those of us in the hold-my-beer sector simply step outside and yell abuse at passing cars. :)

Last edited:
My family has always had friends that were intellectuals. I'm talking PhD's in Chemical Engineering for the most part and one also had a law degree. I also had one buddy that had a M.D. and PhD by age 25 from University of Pennsylvania.

They were all smart enough to realize that few people in their world were intellectual. They chose to be regular folks after work hours and keep the intelligence at work.

My only problem was understanding some of their humor. Went right over my head.

Wow...it's apparently so much harder for you smart people to connect.......those of us in the hold-my-beer sector simply step outside and yell abuse at passing cars. :)

Besides, functioning at a low level of abstraction makes for a pleasant and uncomplicated life and human interaction.

Besides, functioning at a low level of abstraction makes for a pleasant and uncomplicated life and human interaction.

You can be an introverted nerd and still enjoy humor. As I tell me friends, I only kid those that I really like.

For mental stimulation, I belong to a breakfast club that meets Wednesday mornings (pre-Covid). Many outside speakers as well as members give presentations on a wide variety of subjects. Excellent Q&A follows most presentations and I always find myself learning something and enjoying the back and forth.

There are a ton of videos on YouTube on micro subjects of your choice, podcasts on Apple (I like the Skeptics Guide to the Universe) that help stir my brain when I need some stimulation.
The podcasts have really helped as of late when my human interaction time has been down.

Last edited:
I don't seek out intellectual people, but we've met most of the friends we see regularly through clubs. These days it is senior clubs. Our local senior clubs have activities like dinners, dances and hikes where it is easy to talk to people and find people with similar interests.

I would check with the college to see if they offer OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) courses. They are open to people 50 and up, and according to all I know who have taken them, they are great. Some are for fun, some are for intellectual stimulation, all are noncredit.

Good suggestion but... OLLI's are shutdown due to Covid and probably cannot reopen until there is improved spacing, which means cutting enrollment. They offer very limited on-line content, but no in-person activity.

OLLI student, UNLV

I second the meet-up.com suggestion

Now, I look to Ted's talk, Smithsonian documentaries and documentaries in general, and restricted members web sites. There are a few science related reddits that I enjoy.

I look for that stimulation online.

I married someone who was very intellectual and now we have daily conversations. My only problem is that sometimes I think he is smarter than me. He beats me in Scrabble and most card games.

I would check with the college to see if they offer OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) courses.

+ 1 I love these. The version where I live now has some online offerings. OP, you may consider offering a class yourself at some point!

You don’t mention whether your interests in discussion lean more towards the “how it works” or “why am I here” end of the spectrum; perhaps it’s all inclusive?

I’ve found anytime curious people gather, it’s fun. I don’t care whether they bring their beer and ask me to hold it or have a PhD, if they are inquisitive, I find them delightful.

Last edited:

Interesting. So what did you figure out? You know, about the meaning of morality? I have a very good friend that I talk with whenever I can. He graduated HS. If I asked him what the meaning of morality is, he would answer without hesitation. "Treating folks the way you would want to be treated." That's just about the most intellectual thing I could imagine and I have a masters degree and taught several college courses. Naturally, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom