Eyeglasses - Transition Lenses?

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Deciding whether to go the Transitions eyeglasses route. Had them long time ago and they didn't work well. I heard they now are much improved.

Anyone have experience wearing the current version.

Photogray lenses look like you are wearing your AARP card on your face, IMO...:LOL:

I had them but they weren't good enuf in the sun and took too long to fade when indoors. So I didn't get them again.

Deciding whether to go the Transitions eyeglasses route. Had them long time ago and they didn't work well. I heard they now are much improved.

Anyone have experience wearing the current version.

Glad you asked the question. I have been thinking about buying a pair. I would like a few reviews too.

I like mine, my latest are about a year old now. The transition is much quicker than it used to be, though still gradual. I'd like it to be darker, but it's OK. I usually never wear dark glasses over them.

I like mine, my latest are about a year old now. The transition is much quicker than it used to be, though still gradual. I'd like it to be darker, but it's OK. I usually never wear dark glasses over them.
My experiences exactly. I'm very happy with them, and glad to not be buying (and keeping track of) a pair of sunglasses.

Coach

I love mine. I've had Transitions lenses on every pair of glasses since they came out. Changing glasses for indoor and outdoor would drive me crazy if I had to change to sunglasses. With the Transitions I forget about them and they just work. I think the current ones get light faster than the older ones did.

I like mine. For me they darken enough, and quickly enough. Not a real problem. Just so you know, they are not acceptable as sunglasses for driving. They react to UV rays, but yhe glass in modern cars cuts the UV, so the Transitions lenses do not have anything to react with when you are in the car. If you need shades for driving, you will need something to put over the Transitions.

R

My experience was the same as above--not dark enough outside and too dark inside. I'll stick with my sunglasses.

I am near sighted and wear glasses mostly for driving. I like my transitions lenses. I also have prescription sunglasses and wear these for sunny days.

I had these years ago also and have been thinking about getting a pair again. I am tired of having to wear the big sunglasses over my glasses. I am confused by the wide range of responses. I have an appt to get my eyes checked next month. I would love to see enough responses that it would be easy to say yea or nea.

I like mine. For me they darken enough, and quickly enough. Not a real problem. Just so you know, they are not acceptable as sunglasses for driving. They react to UV rays, but yhe glass in modern cars cuts the UV, so the Transitions lenses do not have anything to react with when you are in the car. If you need shades for driving, you will need something to put over the Transitions.

R

My eye glass guy told me the same thing about driving. But I have a prescription pair of sunglasses for driving and golf. I just think it would be nice when going outside to have some eye protection without having to change to sunglasses. I'll probably give them a try.

Mine get plenty dark in the sun. I had a pair and lost them :( and went right out and got another pair. I LOVE them. I'd hate to be without them.

Thanks. Glad to have your feedback. Looks like pretty positive experiences, enough to push me over the edge and get a pair.

Now I have to decide which "Transitions"

I'm going to 39dollarglasses.com - it's more like $160 for progressives and the SMARTshades™ clearLIGHT™ Photochromic Lenses (not Transitions brand)

or get more spendy :
$200 for Transitions® VI SolaMAX® Polycarbonate Lenses or
$240 for Transitions® VI Varilux® Airwear® Lenses.

Experience with these? Transitions really better? Thanks.

I have 3 or 4 year old Transition lenses for my no-line reading/computer glasses. Mine have always changed from light to dark very quickly.
I use regular cheap dollar store sunglasses when not reading or 'puter-ing outdoors.

While folks are commenting on glasses, I have a question. :D
Bright sunlight (especially reflected off snow or water) makes me sneeze uncontrollably. :confused: Does anybody else ever experience this?

While folks are commenting on glasses, I have a question. :D
Bright sunlight (especially reflected off snow or water) makes me sneeze uncontrollably. :confused: Does anybody else ever experience this?

My late husband....always sneezed when first going out into bright sunlight.:D

It's a slippery slope from photogray lenses to knee-high black socks with sandals....;)

If you get the right sandals there's no danger of slipping at all.............. I've had transitions I think ever since they made them. I can't even remember not having them. They do tend to stay darker than I'd like for a minute or two when I come inside but this ranks about 53,072 on my list of complaints about various products.

I've had transition lenses back when and still have them and love them. Each time I get an eye checkup my optometrist brings up the idea that maybe I need a pair of prescription sunglasses (some say they don't change dark fast enough while driving). However, I've never had an issue with the lenses. My two favorite lens options ... transitions and hi-index (so my lenses are nice and thin). :cool:

Just got my new Transitions from 39dollarglasses and I'm liking them. Made in the USA - titanium rimless non-reflective progressives. They are changing back and forth quickly. I think they've been improving them over the years. $239.

OP:

Hope you enjoy your transition glasses. The last pair I bought at Costco, cost aroun $ 125. Lens and frame. I'm nearsighted.

Accoriding to my Optomologist, Costco is fine. Limited frame selection though.

At my regular eye glass place would have cost $ 400- 500.

OP:

Hope you enjoy your transition glasses. The last pair I bought at Costco, cost aroun $ 125. Lens and frame. I'm nearsighted.

Accoriding to my Optomologist, Costco is fine. Limited frame selection though.

At my regular eye glass place would have cost $ 400- 500.
That's quite a good price - is the price for Progressives-Transitions ultra thin lenses UV and Non-Glare rimless?

I loved using Costco both in California and Minnesota when there were 5 of us... We no longer use them now that we are 2 and we realized the sizing and limited selection wasn't working for our current needs and tastes Plus I always ended up buying stuff I wouldn't normally buy...."Dear how are we ever going to use all that?" or "I didn't know you were interested in a 14 video set of WW2." :D

With my prescription it is not easy to get rimless progressives around here not sure Costco would carry what I want...would I have to have a membership...and how much is that now...

That's quite a good price - is the price for Progressives-Transitions ultra thin lenses UV and Non-Glare rimless?

I loved using Costco both in California and Minnesota when there were 5 of us... We no longer use them now that we are 2 and we realized the sizing and limited selection wasn't working for our current needs and tastes Plus I always ended up buying stuff I wouldn't normally buy...."Dear how are we ever going to use all that?" or "I didn't know you were interested in a 14 video set of WW2." :D

With my prescription it is not easy to get rimless progressives around here not sure Costco would carry what I want...would I have to have a membership...and how much is that now...

Best bet would be to call or visit a Costco store. Find a friend to get you in.

My glasses are rimless. I think UV is pretty standard now days.

Back
Top Bottom