FakeBook Sign Off

If your ISP uses DHCP rather than a fixed address which a lot do, then about all they can tell is the ISP you use. Unless you pay for a fixed IP address, most ISPs prefer DHCP to their modems since for example if you go on vacation the address might go to someone else during your absence if the modem is turned off.
From :Computer Forensics: Tracking an Offender | Internet Fundamentals | InformIT

"IP address can be statically or dynamically assigned. Computers that are assigned a static IP address always use the same IP address until it is manually changed to a new address, which is becoming increasingly less convenient in a time of constant reorganizations and mobile computers. Dynamic addresses are automatically assigned to a computer when it registers itself on a network using a protocol called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS), a Microsoft protocol that is rapidly becoming obsolete. For network administrators, DHCP neatly solves the tedium and confusion of manually assigning constantly moving Internet devices. Virtually all ISPs use DHCP to assign addresses to their dial-up customers, and many permanently connected home users have dynamically assigned addresses that can change whenever their cable modems are powered off and on. Use of DHCP is definitely on the increase, but unfortunately, DHCP makes detective work a little more difficult."

AS noted if you power off your modem for a while or the power goes out you may get a new IP address. (If your behind a router you may also use a local dhcp server on the in home network, which may have an IP address of 192.168.1.x (of which there are likley millions of boxes with each address as the router converts these local addresses to routeable addresses thru something called NAT. This is partly why the old IPv4 still works a lot of devices sit behind routers/firewalls that do the conversion. If you have more than one device connected to the internet you likley use local dhcp as well.

Even ISP's that use dynamic IP assignment typically give you the same IP over and over. As an aside, at home you can have client devices use DHCP but get assigned the same IP over and over from your router. (This is called a DHCP reservation.) I do this for my close to one hundred devices connected on my local network (all these little buggers add up).

When I post or read on most Internet forums, I use a VPN (Private Internet Access in my case) to do so. So my IP can be from one of many places I choose around the world. For some sites this can be a problem as they blacklist VPN source IP addresses.

However, just having your phone number doesn't allow them to harvest information from your phone itself. If you install the FB app, THEN they'll have complete access to your contacts, your network usage, and a steady stream of other, real-time data.
Grrrr! Thank you. I did not know that!! :mad:

I never had the FB app on my phone until just recently. I've been shopping around for deals on used bikes and have been using FB's marketplace. I was exchanging messages with a couple of sellers and downloaded both the FB app and FB messenger so that I wouldn't miss a message if I was away from my laptop.

Deleting both now.

Even ISP's that use dynamic IP assignment typically give you the same IP over and over. As an aside, at home you can have client devices use DHCP but get assigned the same IP over and over from your router. (This is called a DHCP reservation.) I do this for my close to one hundred devices connected on my local network (all these little buggers add up).

When I post or read on most Internet forums, I use a VPN (Private Internet Access in my case) to do so. So my IP can be from one of many places I choose around the world. For some sites this can be a problem as they blacklist VPN source IP addresses.
+1 to all of this

Don't let DHCP fool you into thinking you are anonymous.

Your IP address is also just one information piece used to identify you.

Browser version, browser settings and preferences, active plugins (ad blockers), mac address or IMEI number (phone), installed software, OS version, cookies settings, geographical origin, ..

Even if your IP jumps, it is usually within a set range of local possibilities and using other techniques you get reassigned to your profile.

Using a VPN helps quite a bit, even that's not perfect.

Your IP address is also just one information piece used to identify you.

Browser version, browser settings and preferences, active plugins (ad blockers), mac address or IMEI number (phone), installed software, OS version, cookies settings, geographical origin, ..

Even if your IP jumps, it is usually within a set range of local possibilities and using other techniques you get reassigned to your profile.

Using a VPN helps quite a bit, even that's not perfect.

My approach is use the internet like there is no such thing as full anonymity. The no such things as a totally secure bike lock. Layers of security and protection, but not 100%.

Back
Top Bottom