FakeBook Sign Off

Weird development- in the past week on FB I've gotten 3 Friend requests from ruggedly handsome guys in my age range- names not familiar, no friends in common. The latest (according to his profile) is a widower in the Army in Afghanistan. I'm widowed but still show my status on FB as married. Part of me wants to accept one of these just out of curiosity and see how long it takes for the sales pitch ("we're soul mates, please send airfare so I can come visit you").... Nah.

Hey! Now this is getting a bit creepy :(.
It was another neighborhood based forum where they used their screen name and shared their real data something like 10 years ago. I was just seeing if they were active somewhere else!

Be careful!

The good news is that this person came back and is alive and well. And I've dumped the name from my memory because I'd rather know them as I do here.

It was another neighborhood based forum where they used their screen name and shared their real data something like 10 years ago. I was just seeing if they were active somewhere else!

Be careful!

The good news is that this person came back and is alive and well. And I've dumped the name from my memory because I'd rather know them as I do here.

You did the right thing dumping the name from memory.

I've learned to use different screen names for different sites.

If your ISP uses DHCP rather than a fixed address which a lot do, then about all they can tell is the ISP you use. Unless you pay for a fixed IP address, most ISPs prefer DHCP to their modems since for example if you go on vacation the address might go to someone else during your absence if the modem is turned off.
From :Computer Forensics: Tracking an Offender | Internet Fundamentals | InformIT

"IP address can be statically or dynamically assigned. Computers that are assigned a static IP address always use the same IP address until it is manually changed to a new address, which is becoming increasingly less convenient in a time of constant reorganizations and mobile computers. Dynamic addresses are automatically assigned to a computer when it registers itself on a network using a protocol called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) or Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS), a Microsoft protocol that is rapidly becoming obsolete. For network administrators, DHCP neatly solves the tedium and confusion of manually assigning constantly moving Internet devices. Virtually all ISPs use DHCP to assign addresses to their dial-up customers, and many permanently connected home users have dynamically assigned addresses that can change whenever their cable modems are powered off and on. Use of DHCP is definitely on the increase, but unfortunately, DHCP makes detective work a little more difficult."

AS noted if you power off your modem for a while or the power goes out you may get a new IP address. (If your behind a router you may also use a local dhcp server on the in home network, which may have an IP address of 192.168.1.x (of which there are likley millions of boxes with each address as the router converts these local addresses to routeable addresses thru something called NAT. This is partly why the old IPv4 still works a lot of devices sit behind routers/firewalls that do the conversion. If you have more than one device connected to the internet you likley use local dhcp as well.

This is all well and good and true. The persistent stickiness can provide a window for correlation. The problem is that "big data" engines have a way of correlating even dynamic information. Am I paranoid? No. That's just what big data analysis does. It is why so many of us get invitations from their local [-]FA[/-] annuity salesman inviting them to steakhouses for [-]information[/-] hard sale sessions, for example.

If their (advertisers) algorithms were any good, they’d have long ago determined that I don’t want any of their crap...

This is all well and good and true. The persistent stickiness can provide a window for correlation. The problem is that "big data" engines have a way of correlating even dynamic information. Am I paranoid? No. That's just what big data analysis does. It is why so many of us get invitations from their local [-]FA[/-] annuity salesman inviting them to steakhouses for [-]information[/-] hard sale sessions, for example.
Note since everyone at a home will appear at the same IP address with the model cited (to the external site, the router keeps track of which routes go where in the local area and translates the addresses) the tracker would end up seeing a mixture of the family, not as separate individuals. The web site sends to the external address which is all it knows. (makes the data more confusing). In particular if you go away for a few days turn the internet access modem off and it will get a new address in all likehood.

If their (advertisers) algorithms were any good, they’d have long ago determined that I don’t want any of their crap...

This is actually a good point. I think to some extent the advertisers are being screwed, too.

Pretend I sell, let's say, wheelbarrows. I pay someone who promises me that their algorithm will present my ad to people who are likely to be interested in wheelbarrows.

Instead, it's shown mostly to people who've already bought a wheelbarrow.

Who is the loser there? The viewer only lost a little screen real estate and network bandwidth. The ad provider made money. But the poor wheelbarrow manufacturer effectively just threw their advertising money away.

Here's another one. I have one stupid solitaire game I play on my phone when I'm really bored. There is a line of buttons along the bottom that you have to press occasionally as part of playing the game.

The developer has designed it so that an ad will pop up and cover that small button bar at just the right moments, randomly throughout the game, so that you're likely to click on the ad when you really wanted a button.

Presumably, the app developer can brag about the extraordinarily high click-through rate for this app. Advertisers probably pay more for that. But they're really getting empty, "accidental" clicks. Not any real interest in their product or service. Again, I almost (not quite, but almost) feel sorry for the advertiser.

You did the right thing dumping the name from memory.

I've learned to use different screen names for different sites.

And then at the other extreme, we have posters here who throw their real name all around, and have said they keep the same screen name at other sites as part of their 'branding'.

AFAIK, they've never had any problems with that, but it's far beyond what I'd feel comfortable with.

-ERD50

Note since everyone at a home will appear at the same IP address with the model cited (to the external site, the router keeps track of which routes go where in the local area and translates the addresses) the tracker would end up seeing a mixture of the family, not as separate individuals. The web site sends to the external address which is all it knows. (makes the data more confusing). In particular if you go away for a few days turn the internet access modem off and it will get a new address in all likehood.
Correct. So?

I've seen some of the big data work in play and it is amazing what it can pick out from mixed streams.

Just be careful out there.

Other family members have known people who because of their jobs went through simulated interrogation where their interrogator used information (family, etc.) from social media accounts thought deleted.

Last edited:
Correct. So?

I've seen some of the big data work in play and it is amazing what it can pick out from mixed streams.

Just be careful out there.

Since your web browser tells everyone who it is if folks use different devices with different web browsers that is one way.

Other family members have known people who because of their jobs went through simulated interrogation where their interrogator used information (family, etc.) from social media accounts thought deleted.
I worked in insurance and there have been some notorious cases in which someone claiming a major injury or disability also posted pictures of themselves on FB which contradicted their claims- a "depressed" male college student enjoying Beer Pong with a group of pretty young women, someone claiming severe injuries water-skiing, etc. On one board I'm on, a participant said she might have to disconnect from social media- apparently she's filing a lawsuit and the attorneys don't want her posting anything, even under an anonymous screen name.

I've heard that it's darn hard to get a FaceBook profile totally deleted. They'll inactivate it without too much trouble but that doesn't mean it's gone.

Animal rescues depend on Facebook a lot to network for fosters and donations.
Unfortunately, their posts are not reaching as many people as possible because Facebook wants $ to make the posts seen on all the "likers" Facebook timelines.
Unfortunately, there is no alternative at the moment.

It worked for us. We started getting hits on facebook about a month after this dog took off up here in the mountains last December. Here is a picture of her the day we got her back at about 6 weeks in the woods. She is fat and happy now.

Attachments

• IMG950455.jpg
    IMG950455.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 18
On the lighter side, during my work days I once received a VERY interesting email one night. My name was supposed to be in the "Subject" line but ended up in the "To" line by mistake. An entertaining morning followed.
Had a similar experience. I used to work for a large consulting firm. I left them to take a position with one of their megarcorp clients. The consulting firm mistakenly assumed that, as an "alumni", I would give them preferential treatment on projects. They were wrong. ;)

Early on we were working a deal with my former firm and I pushed back on a number of issues, just as I would with any other service provider. The client partner responds to my email with an expletive-filled rant about me. He thought he was forwarding it internally, but in fact he had hit "reply all", so I was on the distribution list.

I got it, then hit reply all and wrote: "Just a suggestion: If you are going to trash your client, you might want to exclude them from the distribution list".

An entertaining morning followed for me as well. :D

And the medical facilities won't ask for your SS number too now? At least the ID card part will be fixed....:rolleyes:

Sure they will. They want it in case they need to send bill collection after you.

I didn’t say anything about a name per se, it’s all the other personal data I’m worried about. I always use an alias anyway...

Me, too. For instance, on Facebook, I go by the name of "Midpack."

I believe passionately in my tag line. Guess that's the main reason I've never been interested in going on FB. The fact that most news now comes through social media should give us pause. When opinion can be so easily manipulated to reflect a political bias should give one pause but as always, YMMV.

I believe passionately in my tag line. Guess that's the main reason I've never been interested in going on FB. The fact that most news now comes through social media should give us pause. When opinion can be so easily manipulated to reflect a political bias should give one pause but as always, YMMV.

Of course Facebook and Youtube are really giant rumor mills nothing more and nothing less. (Youtube is back with Videos about the fake planet that is going to wipe the earth out June 12) Oh! for the revival of the editor with the huge wastebasket beside his/her desk to throw rumors out.
Or in another sense we got what we wished for with all the talk in the 1990s about the global village. Rumors now spread like in a village. It is actually harder to define fake news than it was in the 1960s all be it from the US point of view anything from the USSR was fake news (propaganda) by definition.

So I'm watching TV last night and here comes a FakeBook commercial about how they're gonna be much more honest and caring. Now, they'll only sell your sh!t to someone who knows the super-duper secret handshake. Like with puppies and bunny rabbits, and we just love on y'all.

Made me want to puke.

So I'm watching TV last night and here comes a FakeBook commercial about how they're gonna be much more honest and caring. Now, they'll only sell your sh!t to someone who knows the super-duper secret handshake. Like with puppies and bunny rabbits, and we just love on y'all.

Made me want to puke.

You don't like puppies and bunny rabbits? What's wrong with you! :LOL:

Made me want to puke.
Yep. It's revolting. *More* honest and caring? Even more honest and more caring than they were before? How is that possible?? I seem to recall all kinds of heartfelt proclamations about how serious they were about protecting privacy.

Except it was all lies then, and remains complete bulls**t now.

I have a FB account that I use to follow a couple of organizations. I gave fake info for my profile, except that FB wants me to give a real phone number in order to complete my profile. They are very earnest in telling me that they need my number to help me get access to my account if I forget my password. In fact, they think this is so important that I get a reminder to add my phone number every time I log on.

What they don't say is that once they get my number, they can access my phone and harvest lots of data from it that they can use for their own purposes.

Yep. It's revolting. *More* honest and caring? Even more honest and more caring than they were before? How is that possible?? I seem to recall all kinds of heartfelt proclamations about how serious they were about protecting privacy.

Except it was all lies then, and remains complete bulls**t now.

I've personally never felt they weren't honest. In fact, the home page of the Dutch version of Facebook to this day plainly states:

With Facebook you are connected and share everything with everyone in your life
This is the foundation they are built on, so obviously I agree with you they won't change that. Mark has also stated a few times that privacy is no longer a social norm. He's now learning that may not be the case.

On the other hand, as someone once said: It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! His whole life and personal success is based on realizing a Brave New World.

Last edited:
Yep. It's revolting. *More* honest and caring? Even more honest and more caring than they were before? How is that possible?? I seem to recall all kinds of heartfelt proclamations about how serious they were about protecting privacy...

What they don't say is that once they get my number, they can access my phone and harvest lots of data from it that they can use for their own purposes.

Reminds me of the local restaurant which claims theirs is the "world's best margarita." Then, on the menu, they advertise a "better" one for more money.

Anyone who thinks any big corporation "cares" is deluding themself.

However, just having your phone number doesn't allow them to harvest information from your phone itself. If you install the FB app, THEN they'll have complete access to your contacts, your network usage, and a steady stream of other, real-time data.

Back
Top Bottom