Two more...

Attachments

• MiscOctober2012 047.jpg
    MiscOctober2012 047.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 2
  • MiscOctober2012 036.jpg
    MiscOctober2012 036.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 4
Temperature dipped just below 40 F last night and we had some very light frost in low areas. Playing around with a macro lens:

Attachments

• Fall_colors-1.jpg
    Fall_colors-1.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Fall_colors-2.jpg
    Fall_colors-2.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Fall_colors-3.jpg
    Fall_colors-3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
Colors starting to come on where I'm at near Chicago. Took two long drives last week and noticed:

1) Colors get better and better as you drive north in Michigan (as you'd expect), but very little color (still mostly green) up in the Traverse City to Mackinac Island area. That's puzzling to me...
2) Better color across OH and PA but not much happening (yet?) out in MD.
3) FB reports for Brown County (southern IN) are still mostly green.

Not sure temps (ideally sunny & cool but not freezing) or moisture (too dry this spring and summer) have been optimal for color this year...

3) FB reports for Brown County (southern IN) are still mostly green.

Just east of Nashville on Hwy 46, turn south onto Hwy 135. Take 135 all the way south to about Corydon. Then take I-64 west for a bit, and return north toward Bloomington on Hwy 37. Excellent drive for scenery and solitude.

Just east of Nashville on Hwy 46, turn south onto Hwy 135. Take 135 all the way south to about Corydon. Then take I-64 west for a bit, and return north toward Bloomington on Hwy 37. Excellent drive for scenery and solitude.
DW and I are planning on a weekend in Bloomington & Brown County in the next weekend or three. Just trying to avoid an IU football weekend with fall colors peaking ideally. Thanks...

DW and I are planning on a weekend in Bloomington & Brown County in the next weekend or three. Just trying to avoid an IU football weekend with fall colors peaking ideally. Thanks...

IU has football? :LOL:

Fresh from the digital camera...pics were taken 3 days ago along Rt 13, right in the heart of the lake effect snow corridor SE of Lake Ontario.

The colors in upstate NY are simply fabulous :cool:

Fall is great in the north east US. Probably better up your way for colors. It's not just the colors but the smells of the fallen leaves, the chill, the bounty of the harvest, the relaxing way the individual leaves decend from on high.
My favorite season.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 4
I live in the deciduous woods in NW Virginia. Mostly poplar, oak, and hickory trees and one very beautiful 35 ft holly. Our lot was logged for the large money-bearing trees about 35 years ago (not clear cut) and by now most of the big stumps are gone. We have one particularly fruitful one this year. We had been going through a drought and recently had a lot of rain resulting in lots of fungus! This is a new color of mushroom for me. I had never seen this hue before this week. The picture only shows about one third of the 'shrooms on the stump.

Mike D.

Attachments

• stumpFungus.jpg
    stumpFungus.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 3
Fall is great in the north east US. Probably better up your way for colors. It's not just the colors but the smells of the fallen leaves, the chill, the bounty of the harvest, the relaxing way the individual leaves decend from on high.
My favorite season.
Fabulous pics! Your foliage looks to be just a week or so behind us.

As much as I grouse about the winter, having 4 true seasons is great.

It's hard to describe the visual magic of seeing a waterfall of leaves blowing off a tree in a medium breeze, drifting across a road or field, slowly circling down to the ground.

The flocks of migrating birds fly by in waves, changing direction and height in some sort of instinctive choreographed motion.

The previously all-green landscape comes ablaze in colors that would rival any skilled artist's pallet. Red, oranges, browns, yellows...in all hues. Everywhere I look, I am amazed at the glorious spectrum. It is hard to keep my eyes focused on the road while driving. I do a lot of pulling over.

I've got pretty red maples right across the street. Funny, the ones on my side of the street are still just a washed out green.

Ha

Fall is great in the north east US...
New England has the best fall foliage. I have not traveled to many other countries with fall foliage in order to tell with authority, but could not imagine if something would be better.

I can still picture in my mind a photo I saw many years ago in National Geographic, perhaps even before I came to this country. It showed the backs of two little kids, dressed in warm clothes, going out for trick-or-treat among the fallen leaves and golden trees, with some whitewashed houses in the background, and in the late light of dusk. It left a lasting impression.

We did make a leaf-peeping mission a few years ago driving through the White Mountain region (can't remember when), but will come back again. That time, we also dropped by Salem, right before Halloween too. The atmosphere was a unique experience.

Last edited:
Hopefully you don't apply similar 'logic' to your investments ("GE is the best stock to own. I have not owned many other companies, but could not imagine that anything else would be better")! ;-)

Last edited:
Well, many times, one must be satisfied with what one thinks is good enough, oui?

By the way, I own more than 100 companies, and would do better if I would just hold the few good ones instead of over-diversifying.

Last edited:
I have 2 red maples in my front yard that started to turn a couple of weeks ago, here in south eastern Virginia. They have always been early birds. Other red maples I see aren't turning yet.

Last edited:
The Chinese Pictache trees in my yard turn a nice reddish/orangish color in the fall, right before they dump 20-30 bags of leaves in my yard...

The Chinese Pictache trees in my yard turn a nice reddish/orangish color in the fall, right before they dump 20-30 bags of leaves in my yard...
Remember my roundup and chop up and spread out method with the lawn tractor ? I haven't touched a rake in decades. :D
My new John Deere tractor, with its 18" turning radius, is all ready to get going on that chore. :LOL:
The trick is to do the leaves in stages before they either get too wet or deep, or both. :angel: Make small piles on the roundup part.
I usually do 1 batch when half the leaves fall off my huge maple tree out back. Then a second round when the more stubborn little buggers finally fall off.

Remember my roundup and chop up and spread out method with the lawn tractor ? I haven't touched a rake in decades. :D
My new John Deere tractor, with its 18" turning radius, is all ready to get going on that chore. :LOL:
The trick is to do the leaves in stages before they either get too wet or deep, or both. :angel: Make small piles on the roundup part.
I usually do 1 batch when half the leaves fall off my huge maple tree out back. Then a second round when the more stubborn little buggers finally fall off.

Music for John Deere tractor...

Craig Morgan - International Harvester - YouTube

Kenny Chesney - She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy - YouTube

Nope still really green, looking at a few showers today will keep the High Desert mountains green a little longer.

3 different red Sages from today, Salvia darcyi, red mexican mountain sage S. greggii, autumn sage, and S. elegans, pineapple sage. Still have 20-25 hummingbirds coming around.

S. darcyi.jpg

Because I said New England has the best fall foliage, at least among places that I have been, I looked back at my travel photos to see if I had any good autumn pictures. I believed I snapped pictures of some beautiful scenes around New Hampshire on that leaf-peeping trip, but it was before I bought my first digital camera in 2002. I don't even know where all my old photos are. There's a concurrent thread about photo digitizing. I need to get going on that too.

Still, I looked back at my digital photo set, trying to see if I could get some fall-color photos, just by looking at the date of photo directories. Not so much luck in finding anything with color. Fall color in Florida? Are you kidding me? How about Savannah? Nope.

Where I am, it's either all desert plants in the low elevation, and evergreen up in the high country. There's fall foliage up in Flagstaff, but my photos taken there would have been like 35-year-old (don't know where they are either), and I still remember that it was nothing like New England.

The following are the meager few that I re-discovered, browsing through my photos.

img_1238971_0_c064ab2e1dea4d623b76544d95f2d239.jpg

img_1238971_1_1ae4972632dd3e2f67d46392f4600eaf.jpg

img_1238971_2_912aa1624af4c487ade288b8906ac39e.jpg

I rediscovered a photo of a fall wedding at a small town chapel in Madurodam.

img_1238971_3_b1662a981613912faf3dfb2733c66bc2.jpg

A photo of another part of that town is the following.

img_1238971_4_885a81dc41beddcb5c2419248b8ecbd7.jpg

New England has a more encompassing landscape for fall foliage. There may be places in the world that have the same large forests of the right deciduous trees, but how does one "infinity" beat another "infinity"?

Last edited:
I and DW went camping. The best colored leaves were the poison ivy!!! >:D

Back
Top Bottom