Fall Colors yet?

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No color change in this part of TX, too early. And when it does come, it's not all at once due to the many different varieties of trees here. I'm not counting a big tree I walk by that has turned all yellow and is dropping its leaves, I think it is dying, probably fallout from drought stress.

Anything happening by you?

Was in Colorado last weekend and saw some isolated color.

Half over already in the near North in Ontario.... about 1/3 into it here in the Toronto area. Expect it would be the same in New England and northern tier states.

Mid November before you see a lot of color here. Nice cool temps though. That should help slow the grass down. :)

Maroon%20Bells%2006%20-%20Chanel%20Ahrendsen.jpg

things moving quickly here in Colorado. This is the "Maroon Bells" near Aspen. Dry, hot summer and first snow in the mountains last weekend will make this an early fall color season.

Barely any color here, but not expected until mid to late October here in Chicagoland. Hope we get good color this Fall, yellow, orange, red with some green. Last 2 years it's been mostly yellow & brown and the wind blew the leaves off the trees pretty quickly. Fall is my favorite season hands down...winter my least favorite hands down.

Last edited:
Saw plenty of color over the weekend in Golden Gate Canyon, especially as elevations got to 9,000 feet or so. Trees are just turning down where I live in the burbs.

things moving quickly here in Colorado. This is the "Maroon Bells" near Aspen. Dry, hot summer and first snow in the mountains last weekend will make this an early fall color season.
We're headed to the Ouray/Telluride area today. Smoke from fires in Idaho is severely reducing visibility. Was this photo taken recently?

Color is just starting here in parts of Maryland.

I've seen a few maples turning bright orange at the top of the trees. We've had some warmer than usual weather for late September in upstate NY, so it will be a little while before the rest of the trees turn.

I saw hardly any color on the trees surrounding the lake when I pulled my boat yesterday. Bummer....:(

I just noticed last week a bit of a change. They don't peak in WV until about mid-October though.

Just starting to turn here in northern Vermont, but some isolated trees have fully turned but they tend to be the less healthy trees. Peak is typically early to mid October.

The foliage is beautiful. I like it best on post cards, I'm staying in Florida.

I'd say we have about half of our fall colors here in northern Michigan now. Should be in peak color by late next week or so. Typically we only get a few nice sunny days while the colors are at their peak, and then wind and/or rain comes and the leaves are mostly down. But if you hit it at the peak, it's really beautiful.......

RockyMtn said:

Great looking picture, Rocky. I was in Aspen this past march for the first time ever. I loved the area.

Beautiful picture!

We were in central Colorado in August and we noticed that the Colorado Pine beatle is doing some serious damage on thousands of acres. The color of a tree killed by the beatles is gray. I hope y'all can get a handle on that!

Barely any color here, but not expected until mid to late October here in Chicagoland. Hope we get good color this Fall, yellow, orange, red with some green. ... Fall is my favorite season hands down...

With the drought, I expect a lot of brown, but we will see.

We usually spend a w/e downtown Chicago in November, and it's interesting that there is a 'micro-climate' right around Millennium Park (lake effect and some other factors). Some maps show that small area as a whole zone number warmer than the surrounding area.

The trees there hold their color a full month after the trees out in the burbs/sticks have lost theirs. It's nice to see the season stretched out a little. And fall is my absolute favorite, was beautiful here the past few days.

-ERD50

As I look across the backyard, there is only one tree that has started to change color.
But it looks like winter is creeping in.

backyard.jpg

Last edited:
Fresh from the digital camera...pics were taken 3 days ago along Rt 13, right in the heart of the lake effect snow corridor SE of Lake Ontario.

The colors in upstate NY are simply fabulous :cool:

Attachments

• MiscOctober2012 028.jpg
    MiscOctober2012 028.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 2
  • MiscOctober2012 037.jpg
    MiscOctober2012 037.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 1
  • MiscOctober2012 042.jpg
    MiscOctober2012 042.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 1
  • MiscOctober2012 044.jpg