Fast food _McD's fish sandwich..shrinking?

A fine sandwich

I really like Filet O Fish but for me that counts as a snack, not a meal. It's more of a munchie or even a side dish.

The bun is the secret on that sandwich. Good stuff.

I usually hold the tartar and apply my own Mayo which my doctor suggested I do from the 10th of Never until today.

I am a connoisseur of la fish sandwiches. +1 for the Culver's cod sandwich, and +1 for the crispy Arby's fish sandwich (not their other two fish sandwiches). I will also add the Bojangler from Bojangles's (only available around Lent).

The last time I had a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish was on January 3, 2018. How do I know that? Because when I opened the package the cheese was completely missing from the sandwich! Whomever was working the fish sandwich station simply tossed the piece of cheese in the general direction of the interior of the carton. I took a picture of it, just for grins. I went back through my photos and found the picture, which was dated 01/03/2018.

Use the photo to compare sizes of current Filet-O-Fish to the Filet-O-Fish of six years ago. (Be aware that the placement of the filet on the bun was off-center--it would never stick out past the edge of the bun if it were properly centered.)

Filet-O-Fish Fail.jpg

I got this MC Disappoinment a few years back.....:mad: Two dabs of tarter sauce...WTH?

AF1QipOXgwJ1mfecmS1IEMFXlRqvnCh8SaJDL1NF3THM=w900-h1281-p-k-no

Loved them when I was a kid.

Read an article on them a few weeks ago and the half slice of cheese is by design. It was determined a full slice was to much for the fish taste in the sandwich.

Last edited:
I didn't notice any in the teaspoon full that was on it.:D

You're lucky as we usually get a 1/4 cup of tartar sauce on ours and have to wipe most of it off to just taste the fish. We also noticed the fish sandwich has become a minnow sandwich due to the size. If I owned any individual McD stock, I would have sold it since the pandemic just to make a point.

VW

Another vote for Arby's fish sandwich. The fish filet is larger than the bun and tasty. 2 for $6 deal. You can also get 1 fish and 1 roast beef or 2 roast beef for $6.

anybody else remember "4 for $5" Arby's roast beef sandwiches?

Another vote for Arby's fish sandwich. The fish filet is larger than the bun and tasty. 2 for $6 deal. You can also get 1 fish and 1 roast beef or 2 roast beef for $6.
I insisted we get Arby's, one fish and one beef for me. They added two fish and two fries. The cost was under $20, so I made points.

Both sandwiches were sizable, and tasted fine to me. Unfortunately my people forgot to get tartar and horsey sauce. Lol. I managed.

I insisted we get Arby's, one fish and one beef for me. They added two fish and two fries. The cost was under $20, so I made points.

Both sandwiches were sizable, and tasted fine to me. Unfortunately my people forgot to get tartar and horsey sauce. Lol. I managed.

I wonder how long Arby's will be different from the others with their specials and pricing? Years ago, I used to stop there when travelling, but it's been a good while. We have one Arby's in town that I know of and maybe I'll go there one day next week for the fish.

You're lucky as we usually get a 1/4 cup of tartar sauce on ours and have to wipe most of it off to just taste the fish.
Same around here. Maybe not a full 1/4 cup, but a lot...

I wonder how long Arby's will be different from the others with their specials and pricing? Years ago, I used to stop there when travelling, but it's been a good while. We have one Arby's in town that I know of and maybe I'll go there one day next week for the fish.
We have two in the area I know of, but one is closed due to remodeling. Haven't been in either for years. But I think I've moved the needle a little bit to fast food.

I used to take my in-laws there, so I have fond memories of Arby's.

anybody else remember "4 for $5" Arby's roast beef sandwiches?
I remember 5 for $5 in California and they had a lot of meat on them for that price.
Nowadays my favorite is the 2 for $7 French Dip Sandwiches with coupon of course. Arby's app also gives additional deals in the app. Right now they're giving me $3 off $15 and $1 4 Pce Mozzarella sticks and $1 Sliders. I haven't been there in months, maybe today will be the day....

Those things have been around along time, most things seem to shrink with age.

Sad but true. Inflation has cooled a bit but there is a long way to go as vendors of all stripes jump on the band wagon. Oh, well. I've virtually quit eating fast food, but even "real food" has gone up a lot - no matter what the official numbers say. YMMV

I'm too cheap for a breakfast sandwich machine! Frying pan and toaster for me. Hopefully will be making my own English muffins once I retire. Maybe gather eggs from our feral chickens after I build nesting boxes to keep the mongooses away. Could make Canadian bacon or ham from a feral pig! But I don't think I'll go that far.

We are sympatico on the chickens and feral pig. But it you have some smooth black rocks and a hand lens you can cook everything right on your back porch.

Just a thought.

I used to enjoy a filet-o-fish sandwich on occasion. But, first I had to remove about 2/3 of the tartar sauce. Then I read that it contained more bad fats than an ordinary burger and even a cheeseburger. Apparently, they fried the things in high trans fat oil, which I assume they aren’t doing today. So on the few occasions where I do my “Drive 400+ miles in one day” routine, I order a simple cheese burger at my 20 minute stops at McDonalds.

It seems that with fast food, the simpler the food, the less unhealthy it is.

We also go to McD's when doing long drives. We want a dependable, quick, small snack and a bathroom (not always so pleasant :( , but at least available).

One thing I like is we go inside, and see the menu kiosk, shows the calories. I get the double cheeseburger/hamburger, has less calories than the deep fried chicken.

They most definitely have shrunk it over the years, regardless of the comments from McD's lately that they have not. TBH we don't go anymore to them for anything but breakfast, but the last time we went for lunch the shrinkage on the fish sandwich was very noticeable.

When I read these kinds of threads, I think to myself, "OMG, we sound like our parents!"

Does anybody else feel that way? LOL!

When I read these kinds of threads, I think to myself, "OMG, we sound like our parents!"

Does anybody else feel that way? LOL!

Yep!

I talked to my parents recently - they don't like McDonalds anymore and prefer Arbys.

Anyone remember Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips? That is the only fast food fish meal I have eaten, back when I was younger and not worried about eating fast food :).

All of this talk about Arby's and their fish sandwiches, had us get them. They are good and the price is also good.

I do. They still have some really good deals. Arby's is underrated.

They are although more people are finding them, especially with their specialty burgers and fish sandwiches. I find the same with Burger King, who we went to recently after not being there in many years.

Back
Top Bottom