Fast food _McD's fish sandwich..shrinking?

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
I was helping a friend on a home project yesterday late morning and in the early afternoon we decided a break was necessary.

I usually don't eat at fast food places, but my friend wanted to go to one.

We went to a McDonalds nearby and I ordered a fillet of fish sandwich as I remember eating them decades ago. I took the bun off (I gave up bread) and I was surprised as to the size of the filet as it appears noticeably smaller than the old Filet-O-Fish they took off the menu in the late 1990's.

And....to top this....the cheese was covering slightly less than 1/2 the filet. And the cheese was in several tiny little rectangles and was about 1/2 the thickness of a normal piece of cheese. Very strange, and clearly not what the older version of this was like.

Plus, it was $5....which I consider pretty expensive. And it was not that good. :mad:

Is this the new norm for these places?

Raise price delete quality. Sounds about right. :rolleyes:

I used to like the McMuffins for breakfast. Now we make our own at cost of about $1 using a Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich machine.

I was helping a friend on a home project yesterday late morning and in the early afternoon we decided a break was necessary.

I usually don't eat at fast food places, but my friend wanted to go to one.

We went to a McDonalds nearby and I ordered a fillet of fish sandwich as I remember eating them decades ago. I took the bun off (I gave up bread) and I was surprised as to the size of the filet as it appears noticeably smaller than the old Filet-O-Fish they took off the menu in the late 1990's.

And....to top this....the cheese was covering slightly less than 1/2 the filet. And the cheese was in several tiny little rectangles and was about 1/2 the thickness of a normal piece of cheese. Very strange, and clearly not what the older version of this was like.

Plus, it was $5....which I consider pretty expensive. And it was not that good. :mad:

Is this the new norm for these places?
You picked the wrong day, it's only $2.99 on Fridays for Lent and yes I do think they're a lot smaller than they used to be but they still taste good to me

Not too often but I will get a double filet of fish - no tartar. Still less than 500 calories, but kind of pricey. It seems like the double is usually freshly made, whereas a single may have sat under a lamp for while.

Raise price delete quality. Sounds about right. :rolleyes:

I used to like the McMuffins for breakfast. Now we make our own at cost of about $1 using a Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich machine.

I'm too cheap for a breakfast sandwich machine! Frying pan and toaster for me. Hopefully will be making my own English muffins once I retire. Maybe gather eggs from our feral chickens after I build nesting boxes to keep the mongooses away. Could make Canadian bacon or ham from a feral pig! But I don't think I'll go that far.

I had a very good cod sandwich at Culvers.

Yep, pay more for less. I see that same pattern in everything I buy. Sad!!

It’s the new norm everywhere. Grocery stores have products that are smaller and cost more. Even a bag of dog food is smaller and cost more. Sneaky way to increase prices.

Same experience with Wendy's yesterday. Been years & will be years before returning. Just not fulfilling anymore.

Small, junk and expensive. Triple threat.

Subway is now selling the $5 1 inch sub. Value menu. (Thanks Babylon Bee).

It’s the new norm everywhere. Grocery stores have products that are smaller and cost more. Even a bag of dog food is smaller and cost more. Sneaky way to increase prices.
Dog kibble pricing is insane, they dropped from 50 to 40 lbs for and the price went up $10 and that's for the Walmart brand. I used to pay less than $8 for 12 cans and now it's close to $16. I did find some Tractor Supply 50 lb bags and they e-mailed me a 25% off coupon so that really helped with my last order but it's almost all gone already in less than a month.

I used to enjoy a filet-o-fish sandwich on occasion. But, first I had to remove about 2/3 of the tartar sauce. Then I read that it contained more bad fats than an ordinary burger and even a cheeseburger. Apparently, they fried the things in high trans fat oil, which I assume they aren’t doing today. So on the few occasions where I do my “Drive 400+ miles in one day” routine, I order a simple cheese burger at my 20 minute stops at McDonalds.

It seems that with fast food, the simpler the food, the less unhealthy it is.

Those things have been around along time, most things seem to shrink with age.

We just got a really good fish sandwich at Arbys! They were 2 for $6.00.

Arby's seems to still give a decent amount of food for the price. We get their coupons in the mail about every two months and one of them is two regular roast beef sandwich, two small fried and two small drinks for 14.99. We go and the meat still seems to be loaded on them. I used to eat a lot of burgers at different places and noticed the quality and size has gone down quite a bit and the prices up. Now about the only burger places I’ll eat at are local ones.

Another vote for Arby's fish sandwich. The fish filet is larger than the bun and tasty. 2 for $6 deal. You can also get 1 fish and 1 roast beef or 2 roast beef for $6.

Another vote for Arby's fish sandwich. The fish filet is larger than the bun and tasty. 2 for $6 deal. You can also get 1 fish and 1 roast beef or 2 roast beef for $6.

This sounds like the best deal around now. I wonder how long it will last. I'll have to get the fish and give it a try.:)

Go to your local Catholic curch where I'm sure they're having a Lenten Fish Fry. Around here in SW PA there is a competition to see who can provide the best value. The cod filet is every bit of 9" long. Some parishes offer crab cakes, perogies, and homemade baked goods. If you feel you're getting ripped off, you know it's going to charity. :)

Back
Top Bottom