Favorite male and female singer's voices

Man, that's really mean!

But since I had never heard Yoko Ono sing, I had to find out for myself. Here's a performance.

And about Bob Dylan, I like him myself. I remember reading a story about Bob Dylan's mentor having a slurred voice because of a stroke, and it rubbed off on Bob. :)

Last edited:
I heard her "sing" at a Survival Sunday gig, and it was like a cat being torn apart by a coyote.

I always wondered what John Lennon REALLY thought of Yoko's voice.

People often say that "Love is blind", but it can also be deaf.

Two favorite female vocalists. Karen Carpenter - smooth and silky and did a wide variety of songs. Close second would be Whitney Houston for the same reasons.

I heard her "sing" at a Survival Sunday gig, and it was like a cat being torn apart by a coyote.

I don't know much about Ono's work, but here's a snippet from a Wikipedia article.

Ono released her first solo album, Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band, in 1970... Her album included raw, harsh vocals, which bore a similarity with sounds in nature (especially those made by animals)... Some songs on the album consisted of wordless vocalizations... and other musical artists who have used screams and vocal noise in lieu of words...

I am not going to look for it on youtube.

People often say that "Love is blind", but it can also be deaf.

LOL.

I didn't care for John Lennon's voice either. IMO, it's a little better than Ono's. Then again, I've been to Bob Dylan's concert. I was sitting at cheap seats but I could hardly understand what he was singing.

LOL.

I didn't care for John Lennon's voice either. IMO, it's a little better than Ono's. Then again, I've been to Bob Dylan's concert. I was sitting at cheap seats but I could hardly understand what he was singing.

I had a similar experience and a Bob Dylan concert even when sitting near front row. Plus, sometimes was a bit difficult to see through all the say, "clouds of smoke" :LOL:

I had a similar experience and a Bob Dylan concert even when sitting near front row. Plus, sometimes was a bit difficult to see through all the say, "clouds of smoke" :LOL:

I can relate to that. He was singing Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35. All I could make out was "every body must get stoned" or words to that effect. No one seems to care what he was singing .... :D

There are many singers I like, so it is impossible to narrow down to one male and one female. And there are some singers whom I like but only with a few songs, so perhaps I was in love with the songs instead.

But hey, do not make fun of Neil Diamond. I particularly like his rendition of "The Windmills of Your Mind".

This is my thought as well - including the Neil Diamond comment. Reading the favorites named here brings back some good memories. :)

Seeing the mention of Joan Baez and Bob Dylan, I saw her perform in Nashville (in a coffeehouse) and she did a spot on imitation of Dylan.

Here's a chart I saw recently comparing the range of some singers. A few surprises... The Vocal Ranges of the Greatest Singers | ConcertHotels.com.

Looks to me Ella got the popular vote so far. It's not surprising.

Glad to see someone still remember Connie Francis. I grew up listening to her a lot.

Last edited:
Male: Robert Plant
Female: Joni
Also agree about the vocalist on Great Gig in the Sky...fabulous. Saw "Brit Floyd" last week. They're a Floyd tribute band that tours worldwide, and they put on a great show.

Male: Steve Perry
with honorable mention to Andrea Bocelli

Back
Top Bottom