Favorite movies and/or t.v. series

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
Hello all!

I searched for a thread on this but didn't find one - if it exists and I missed it, please share the link! DH and I are getting into renting movies and t.v. series at the library. We usually don't go to the movies, and we don't have HBO, etc., so we have a huge range of things to select from. It's sort of overhwhelming. I'd like to hear from the group what your top 5 recommendations for movies or t.v. series to watch would be.

We like pretty much everything except really super gory stuff. Right now we are watching the Dexter series which is fascinating and creepy, yet oddly addictive. LOL.

Thanks for ideas and leads!

simple girl said:
Hello all!

I searched for a thread on this but didn't find one - if it exists and I missed it, please share the link! DH and I are getting into renting movies and t.v. series at the library. We usually don't go to the movies, and we don't have HBO, etc., so we have a huge range of things to select from. It's sort of overhwhelming. I'd like to hear from the group what your top 5 recommendations for movies or t.v. series to watch would be.

We like pretty much everything except really super gory stuff. Right now we are watching the Dexter series which is fascinating and creepy, yet oddly addictive. LOL.

Thanks for ideas and leads!

Go get Firefly. Only ran for one season, but it's amazing.

I agree about Firefly; great show. We also loved the original Nikita series and The Profiler. I can't think of more at the moment but I feel that we've seen it all!

24! Some seasons were better than others, but if you like action type shows, I don't think you can do any better.

Just thought of a great movie if you haven't seen it. "Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning.

6 Feet Under
West Wing
The Sopranos
Jericho was pretty good. It's only 2 seasons though. It's the story of a small mid-western town surviving after a nuclear apocalypse engulfs the US.

30 Rock. It's still on, but we didn't start watching it until our daughter gave us the first series on dvd. Love it. Helps that Mrsin has been with GE for over 35 years, hee.

Coupling - the original BBC series. Get it on Netflix streaming or DVD.
Raising Hope - currently showing on Fox, I think.
Mike & Molly - current
Modern Family - current

PBS Murder Mystery : Especially the Wallander series based on Mankell Henning's books with Kenneth Branaugh in the lead and the Inspector Lindley series based on Elizabeth George's books
MI-5 - Sometimes on PBS, but available on Netflix streaming.

24 was great! Also, I got into The Event recently, however I think it got canceled because of low ratings.

Entourage is definitely one of my favorites (Ari Gold).

And as far as TV, you KNOW when you're up late at night and there's nothing else to watch, House Hunters on HGTV always seems to fit the bill.

Also, I got into it late, but Modern Family is hilarious.

Another vote for Breaking Bad on AMC. I don't watch a ton of television, but Breaking Bad is absolutely captivating. I've never missed an episode and never will.

the Wallander series based on Mankell Henning's books with Kenneth Branaugh in the lead.
Having read Henning Mankell for years my lady & I were pleasantly surprised by Branagh's performance, (I had always considered him a 'scenery chewer'),.......but he is Wallander.

Wallander was very good, but our very fave is 'Foyle's War"; get it on Netflix and watch from the beginning. I'm looking forward to starting over in a year or two. Same director did "Collision" as a Masterpiece Contemporary. Not in the same league as Foyle, but good.

We don't have cable and can get all these from the library system, most are current shows: Breaking Bad, The Closer, Leverage, True Blood, Dexter, White Collar, Burn Notice, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Friday Night Lights, The Wire, Hot In Cleveland, Monk, Psych, Weeds.

Every year or so we borrow all of the X-files episodes from our local library.
What fun! That is the last tv show we watched with any regularity.

For DW and I would be The Sopranos. If it was just me, I liked Lost and Prison Break.

X-files - the entire series. Brilliant writing and they didn't talk down to the viewers.

There is still a very active xpa chat group (x-philes anonymous). At its peak, there were doctors, lawyers, engineers, physicists, librarians, military officers and even an astronaut in our little group. Very interesting bunch of people to talk to and we still keep in touch.

I haven't watched anything on a regular basis since it went off the air.

Lost

It was almost impossible to follow week to week, so we stopped watching and waited until we could get an entire season. It was wonderful watching that way!

We also like House, Criminal Minds and Bones.

For TV series, I like older British comedies (keeping up appearances, fawlty towers, are you being served, etc...), American TV series from the 70's or 80's (dallas, hart to hart, the fall guy, the A-team, etc...) and contemporary HBO mini-series (game of throne, true blood, boardwalk empire, John Adams, Rome, etc...). I don't watch any network TV, but I became a fan of '24' and 'prison break' thanks to Netflix. I also love the 'Poirot' TV series that played for years on Biography.

For movies, I like historical dramas, action movies, court dramas and comedies.

What a great response! Thanks everyone - I'm compiling a list to refer to when I search my library's archives. Keep'm coming!

Back
Top Bottom