Favorite winter comfort foods

My favorite winter comfort food is borsch. I don't have a recipe, but I know my wife uses shredded red beets, shredded red cabbage, smoked sausage and polish sausage. She makes a huge batch after we harvest our red beets and she cans most of it. The soup comes out thick like a stew, and makes me strong like bull, lol.

Until about 3 years ago id never tried it, but after a beet harvest and having lots of canned beets already we tried it and fell in love. Now its a staple, and a winter favorite.

... Sandra made a comment that it consisted of onions, bell peppers, and carrots. Donna, whom I pretty much never agree with, was quick to jump in there and tell her to save those carrots for another recipe, and that the Holy Trinity was onions, bell peppers and celery...

Perhaps she confused Holy Trinity with mirepoix which has carrot, but mirepoix has celery and not bell pepper.

Holy Trinity (American Cajun): onions, celery, green bell peppers, in the ratio of 2/1/1, olive oil

Mirepoix (French): onions, celery, carrots, in the ratio of 2/1/1, butter

Soffritto (Italian): onions, celery, carrots, in the ratio of 2/1/1, olive oil

Sofrito (Spanish): onions, red and green bell peppers, tomatoes, in the ratio of 2/1/2, olive oil

Another hearty dish that I like in cold weather is Hungarian goulash (not to be confused with American goulash). Goulash can be made with beef or pork, and I usually use beef. My children love the goulash I make, and one time I used pork and they did not like it. I normally do not put potatoes in the stew, and serve it over wide noodle. Goulash moped up with warm bread is also crazily good.

Photo from the Web:

20160205-beef-goulash-hungarian-recipe-food-lab-26.jpg

PS. Edited to add Holy Trinity. The ratios of ingredients are roughly the concensus, as I interpret from a Web search. Note the double amount of onions compared to the other 2, although people often use equal amounts of each.

Last edited:
And speaking of stews that you mope up with bread, of course I have to mention Cioppino, which I have not made for a while.

I still have some halibut, and of course a lot of shrimp in the freezer. All I need is to pick up a Dungeness crab at Costco, and some New Zealand green mussels. But I will wait for the weather to cool down a bit more. The high temperature still hit 93F today. It has to be cool if not cold for one to appreciate a piping hot bowl of Cioppino.

Photo from Wikipedia:

Cioppino.jpg

And speaking of stews that you mope up with bread, of course I have to mention Cioppino, which I have not made for a while.

I still have some halibut, and of course a lot of shrimp in the freezer. All I need is to pick up a Dungeness crab at Costco, and some New Zealand green mussels. But I will wait for the weather to cool down a bit more. The high temperature still hit 93F today. It has to be cool if not cold for one to appreciate a piping hot bowl of Cioppino.

I just froze the remnants of a Blow-that-dough order of Dungeness crabs that I bought for my DW's birthday. (I am not a Costco person, so I didn't even know that was available.) We had to buy 4 crabs, and we have gotten about 9 people-meals out of them so far, with about another 6 or 7 to go.

Foreshadowing your train of thought, my DW and I were discussing how best to enjoy the remaining crab in the future. I lobbied for cioppino! I didn't meet much resistance! :D

The Dungeness crabs at Costco are frozen and not live. I can get live crabs at an Asian grocery store some miles away. The frozen crabs are just as good.

Besides crab, good firm fish, big shrimps, and mussels, I would throw in some squid rings into the Cioppino pot if I could get some.

PS. The base of my Cioppino is soffritto, cooked until it turns very soft, along with some tomatoes. And do not forget to add wine to the broth. My preference is pinot noir.

Last edited:
The Dungeness crabs at Costco are frozen and not live. I can get live crabs at an Asian grocery store some miles away. The frozen crabs are just as good.

Besides crab, good firm fish, big shrimps, and mussels, I would throw in some squid rings into the Cioppino pot if I could get some.

PS. The base of my Cioppino is soffritto, cooked until it turns very soft, along with some tomatoes. And do not forget to add wine to the broth. My preference is pinot noir.

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I was delighted with your rundown, upthread, of the differences of the veggie bases. I only wish that you included the Trinity in your list, so that we could quote it the way we quote Fairmark's IRA withdrawal matrix. :)

Your cioppino tips are lovely, and will be incorporated. Personally, I like at least a little cheap sherry in my cioppino -- lends a hint of sweetness.

I have edited my earlier post to fix the mistake.

About adding alcohol to the Cioppino, I think the majority of cooks use white wine. I have experimented with adding both red and white wines, with pinot noir and chardonnay, as one cook has recommended. I am not sure I could tell the difference. Well, maybe I could if I cooked 2 pots side-by-side. :)

PS. Because the ingredients vary each time I cooked Cioppino (different fish, different shellfish depending on what is available), plus I season the pot to my whim, each time the Cioppino came out slightly differently. People always eat it up, so it is apparently easy to make.

The only tricky thing I found is not to overcook the proteins. I prefer that people already sit down at the table as I add the last ingredient: the squid rings.

Last edited:
Here's the story why Cioppino is my fondest dish.

I had it the first time in 1980, in our honeymoon trip. We were at the Seattle Space Needle Restaurant having lunch. I did not know what the dish was, but the ingredients sounded good on the menu. I enjoyed it, but then forgot all about it.

Many years later, maybe 15 years, I happened to spot a food article in the Sunset Magazine covering this dish. Looking at the photo, I remembered that it was what I had earlier, on that memorable afternoon sitting in the revolving restaurant. And on reading the article, I decided that it was something I could try to make. And it turned out OK.

And before trying to make Cioppino, I had never cooked anything other than boiling eggs and making instant noodle. Well, I did grill steaks and hamburgers, but I now recall that I always overcooked them, and they were not that good.

One thing led to another, and I tried to cook more and more dishes. Cooking is so much fun.

Everything sounds so good!
Here are a couple more:

Corn Casserole

1/2 cup butter,melted
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup milk
1 can whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 can cream style sweet corn
1/2 teasp. salt
pepper to taste.
Whisk flour into melted and cooled butter. Whisk in sugar, eggs, milk.
stir in corn, Season with salt and pepper.
Pour into 8x8 shallow baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 for approx. 1hour and 15 minutes, until the center is set and top is brown and carmelized.
Serve warm.
Great with ham or chili.

Smoked Sausage Casserole
2 packages smoked sausage, sliced
2 packages hash browns ( like the ones with onion and peppers)
1 can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 bag shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
Mix all together, Cook in the CrockPot on high for 4 hours.

I had it the first time in 1980, in our honeymoon trip. We were at the Seattle Space Needle Restaurant having lunch. I did not know what the dish was, but the ingredients sounded good on the menu.

I have to admit that I was first exposed to this dish as one of those damn tourists at Fisherman's Wharf. Now, I had previously lived in the Bay Area, so I didn't mind so much playing the tourist a number of years later. But we sat in one of those outdoor areas with all the other tourists. Like you, we thought it sounded good and ordered it unknowingly, and we were delighted with the dish.

I have always cooked; very simple fare when I was young, but I have gotten more and more into it as the years have rolled by.

I lived in San Francisco for over 30 years. A family tradition was to go to the Tadich Grill for cioppino the day after Thanksgiving.

I make mine with white wine and I like it with a good hit of chili flakes and fennel added with the soffritto.

I lived in San Francisco for over 30 years. A family tradition was to go to the Tadich Grill for cioppino the day after Thanksgiving.

I make mine with white wine and I like it with a good hit of chili flakes and fennel added with the soffritto.

Ah yes, I think fennel would work here to add a brighter note to the dish. And with fennel, I would use white wine, and something not oaky. The trick is how much fennel to use, in order for the flavor to not become dominant. I do not often use fennel, so would have to think of something to use the rest of the bulb. Hmmm... I wonder if I could cheat by using a thimble of fennel seeds.

So many dishes, so many variations... And an old guy can and should eat only so much.

I was also curious about Tadich Grill, and looked it up. Claimed to be the oldest SF restaurant. Sadly, it has been closed due to the pandemic.

Last edited:
It has been snowing for three days where we live.

Our winter comfort food is different this year- Penang Curry. Not going to get to Thailand this winter so we cook up a batch of our own. Great Asian grocery stores where we leave so we are able to get the proper made in Thailand ingredients.

Another hearty dish that I like in cold weather is Hungarian goulash (not to be confused with American goulash). Goulash can be made with beef or pork, and I usually use beef. My children love the goulash I make, and one time I used pork and they did not like it. I normally do not put potatoes in the stew, and serve it over wide noodle. Goulash moped up with warm bread is also crazily good.

5646880.jpg

Strictly speaking, the beef stew commonly called Hungarian goulash (Web photo shown above) is Pörkölt.

The true Hungarian goulash has more broth and also vegetables such as potatoes and carrots, and is a soup.

Both have lots of paprika, and are good for your tummy on a cold and blustery day.

Photo from the Web:

guylas-bowl-min-e1466416336295.jpg

Last edited:
Made one of my favorites today, it's quick to make.

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
mild green chiles ( or chopped jalapenos if you like heat)
4 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth
2 14.5oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
15oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
sliced avocado
sour cream
Colby jack shredded cheese
corn tortillas

Heat oil over med/high and saute onion and chiles 5 min. stirring
Add garlic and stir 1-2 min. more
Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice and seasonings. Bring to boil, then lower heat and gently boil 7 min. stirring occasionally.
Add cilantro and boil 1 more minute.

Tortilla Strips
Heat oven to 375 degrees
Brush corn tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut in 1/2" strips and place in single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden about 15-18 minutes.

Serve soup with sour cream, sliced avocado, lime wedge, shredded colby jack cheese and crispy tortilla strips.

Do stout and porter beers count? :)

Outside of that, just about any beefy stew.

Any thick soup-split pea, bean soup, etc. For past few years it’s been pumpkin peanut curry soup, with canellinni beans to thicken. I make my own pumpkin purée for pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. Last year I used butternut squash and it was even better.

I’ve come up with a low carb version of both the pie (pumpkin mousse instead) and the soup.

IMO, any soup served with sour cream is a comfort food to me. My mom made borscht and meat piroshki regularly and both MUST be served with sour cream. I’m half Russian.

Last edited:
Yesterday I made vegetable beef soup and then I made chili for supper. We have good leftovers in the fridge and I can take some to my Mom and sis today.

Made one of my favorites today, it's quick to make.

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup diced onion
mild green chiles ( or chopped jalapenos if you like heat)
4 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. chicken broth
2 14.5oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
15oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
sliced avocado
sour cream
Colby jack shredded cheese
corn tortillas

Heat oil over med/high and saute onion and chiles 5 min. stirring
Add garlic and stir 1-2 min. more
Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, chicken, corn, lime juice and seasonings. Bring to boil, then lower heat and gently boil 7 min. stirring occasionally.
Add cilantro and boil 1 more minute.

Tortilla Strips
Heat oven to 375 degrees
Brush corn tortilla with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Cut in 1/2" strips and place in single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and golden about 15-18 minutes.

Serve soup with sour cream, sliced avocado, lime wedge, shredded colby jack cheese and crispy tortilla strips.

This sounds really good!

Because it is a terrible waste of beer. ;) Assuming it's good beer anyway. If it's cheapie stuff, OK

Cassoulet with duck confit. See photo below, linked from the Web.

If winter food is something that will stick to your rib, then cassoulet certainly qualifies.

Now, I have only had it in restaurants, and have not tried to make it although it's not hard. The only real task is to acquire some duck confit, which you can even make yourself, but I have not tried that either. Well, maybe some day...

Non-featured-Instant-pot-cassoulet-recipe-NEW.jpg

Make a side of cornbread while it simmers and you're well fed for a few days ;-)

From my wife's collection, not mine ;-)

Sausage Bean Chowder serves 10-12
1lb bulk sausage (pork, turkey, mild/hot to your taste)
2 (16oz) cans kidney beans (undrained)
2 (15 1/2oz) cans diced (or finely diced - sometimes marked "petite diced") tomatoes (undrained)
4C water
1 medium onion, chopped (adjust to taste - we like a little less onion)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp salt (adjust to taste - we use very little salt when cooking)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 chopped green pepper (optional)
1 C diced potatoes (increase if you like potatoes or need to stretch the recipe)

In a large pot (there's about 12 cups of "stuff" in that list) cook sausage until brown. Pour off fat. (You may find it easier to cook the sausage - especially if it's the paste-texture turkey sausage - in a large skillet. You will still need the big pot for simmering everything.)
Add kidney beans, tomatoes, water, onion, bay leaves, salt, garlic salt, thyme and pepper to browned sausage.
Simmer covered 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and green pepper. Cook covered 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove bay leaves (and green pepper if bagged) and serve.

We are giving this a shot today! Substituted navy beans for kidney beans because that is what we had. Also added some sautéed fresh mushrooms because we had them and needed to cook them.

Thanks for sharing!

I just had my comfort food -- bacon. But it's not quite just a winter comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom