Fess up: Doctoring recipes

Garlic? Oh, heck, I've been known to just drizzle olive oil over an entire head of garlic and bake it. Squeeze out the resulting garlic 'paste' and spread it over warm foccacia bread (like a thick pizza crust, without the toppings). Yum!

I've been known to just drizzle olive oil over [-]an entire[/-] half a dozen heads of garlic and bake [-]it[/-] them. Squeeze out the resulting garlic 'paste' and spread it over warm foccacia bread (like a thick pizza crust, without the toppings). Yum!

Fixed it for you.
This has long been a favorite of ours.

I usually follow a recipe, especially a new one, unless I don't have something on hand. Most of the recipe reviews on epicurious.com show the cooks adapted the dishes ( they always give themselves top ratings too). But most of our non-baking is just using what is on hand to make something new, which is sometimes spectacular, sometimes dreadful.

I have some old recipes and cookbooks that are so stingy in their use of spices and herbs, with 1/4 teaspoon of this and that, that I always increase them. Tastes are sure different today.

Garlic? Oh, heck, I've been known to just drizzle olive oil over an entire head of garlic and bake it. Squeeze out the resulting garlic 'paste' and spread it over warm foccacia bread (like a thick pizza crust, without the toppings). Yum!
Absotively! One of our fav Italian restaurants cuts the top off a whole heads of garlic, pours on OO and roasts them a deep brown to bring out (one head per table) to guests with fresh warm bread just after they're seated. First time they showed us how to neatly squeeze all the cloves out and spread - gratis. Any wonder why we like the place?

Last edited:
Absotively! One of our fav Italian restaurants cuts the top off a whole heads of garlic, pours on OO and roasts them a deep brown to bring out (one head per table) to guests with fresh warm bread just after they're seated. First time they showed us how to neatly squeeze all the cloves out and spread - gratis. Any wonder why we like the place?

No idea why you would like that. A
friend of mine taught me that recepie, we love it. The same guy taught me about tomato confit, DW thought I was nuts to do all the work. When I explained it's the same guys recepie, that got her working with me.Never tried adding extra garlic to confit. But I will next time.

MRG

When I end up cooking, rarely nowadays, doctoring of recepies is a must. I can never find the exact ingredients in DW's organized cupboard. She can, but I only cook whaen she is away for more than a few days. In the interim I just jazz up leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom