Festivus for the Rest of Us

To the OP:

There are certain things that are universal, regardless of the amount of your nest egg or your age. For example

1. How do I identify, track and manage spending in retirement? What expenses can I realistically expect to forego and what additional expenses have I not given sufficient thought to?

2. If I retire prior to Medicare eligibility, how will I bridge the gap in terms of health insurance? What things does Medicare cover and what does it not?

3. What is the best mix of taxable and non-taxable investments?

4. What is the best portfolio allocation for me?

5. What are my plans for my elder years when I may not be physically or mentally capable of caring for myself?

6. What should I do about my heirs? How should I split my estate? Should I bequeath equally or in proportion to need? Should I gift early?

7. How can I best protect my assets from voluntary or involuntary creditors?

8. What should I do with all my time in retirement? How can I relate to my peers who aren't retired?

9. What can or should I do about profligate relatives or friends?

10. Whats the best way to leave my current employer?

11. How do I downsize? Where should I live?

And many, many more. On this board, I learn answers to questions I didn't even know I should be asking. And I only do that by listening to people who are not in my exact situation. An echo chamber benefits no one.

Joe, my post was a duplicate. Gumby's post really documents my perceived value of this forum. I don't know where I can get this type of value anywhere else. This place is a gold mine. Sure there are different viewpoints, those are the ones I learn the most from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Yep - I know I've received valuable advice from this forum on each of the 11 items that Gumby lists. Although I planned my retirement from the information I found here, I now get great post retirement tips almost daily.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had hunted the various forums before landing here several years ago. I lurked for a few years, too. The ER forums is really a community which will grow upon you as you become familiar with the people and the basic philosophy of economic freedom. It takes a little time to get into the groove. Then it becomes a way of life. I check in about every day to see what's going on around here. I retired almost a year ago, and the ER forums had a lot to do with my money handling and wealth management. Now, for me it's not so much about the money or work part anymore, it's about seeing how everyone else is getting along. The other forums out there are not really quite like this one.

Loaded ? Hell, every time a million dollars is mentioned in a thread, I offer myself up for instant adoption. ;)

I found this site right after I FIREd in Spring 2007. I got a bit blown away by the stock market and financial analysis discussions, but I stuck with it and LEARNED so much. The math I'm used to is calculus, experimental data processing and display, and binary systems, not this straightforward business stuff. Eek! :blink:

The only advantage I had was that I had already read Bogle's Common Sense on Mutual Funds. I had skipped over most of the pictures. :LOL:
I did purchase several of the recommended books. There's a link for those here on the site somewhere. A little help, please ?

So hang in there. Take it a step at a time and spend the time reading the fabulous links posted here. My eyes glazed over on many of them, I assure you. But at least the terminology started to make sense after a while.

I had no idea what you were referring to. So off I went to Wikipedia.

OMG, I love it.

Today is FESTIVUS !!!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

If you had no idea what Festivus was, you need to find that episode of Seinfeld on YouTube or somewhere. It's unforgettable!

I had no idea what you were referring to. So off I went to Wikipedia.

OMG, I love it.

Today is FESTIVUS !!!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I had to look it up too. This site is so educational and I learn so much here! Of course not all of it is actually useful....

As others here have noted, saving part of each paycheck over a long period of time (30 years?) and LBYM during that time span is an easily obtainable goal that the great majority of Americans can cross. The majority of ERers seem to have found this out on their own.

Understanding how SS can work in your favor is yet another dandy than can make ER a breeze.

It's difficult, but it's not really hard.

Back
Top Bottom