Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If it is a long stretch of empty highway, the guy might simply hurt himself only if he lost control.

Even actions/crimes that seem victimless are often not.
Let's say the guy lost control, and smashed his car up.
If he's hurt, it's going to cost the taxpayer $$ as cops and fire truck and ambulance come. If he has no health insurance, then it compounds the costs as he will be saved.

Even if he's not hurt, he will be noticed or phone for help, so possibly police will have to come, spend time with him, etc....

Only if he walks to town, or phones for a tow truck , and sweeps up the wreckage (not likely) , would this end up being a victimless crime, assuming he hit no road signs, and doesn't claim it on his car insurance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think social media gives the false feeling of living on the edge then gossiping about that behavior.

Some bank robbers steal cash then post the loot on social media. Not too bright but feeding that urge to brag .
I was behind this guy for mile, while he was flashing his money.
I wonder if it was enough to open a Vanguard account?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Money.jpg (137.8 KB, 55 views)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Like celebs of today who 'out' themselves, I publicly acknowledge that I may have (or may not have) cut the tag off of every mattress ever purchased.

There, I feel much better now.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #24

It is not a goal of mine to film myself doing illegal things.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:43 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I don't do illegal things. There's nothing to film.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't do illegal things. There's nothing to film.
You might be surprised. WAY more stuff is illegal than the average person could ever keep track of. True, many are 'civil' issues (on a par with jay walking, creeping through a stop sign, etc.) BUT they are out there and CAN be used against anyone. I would simply say that I do NOT film myself (period.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
You might be surprised. WAY more stuff is illegal than the average person could ever keep track of.
This is true. Just today, reading an article about weird traffic laws, I learned that in Rockville, MD, it is illegal to curse while driving. Mea culpa.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This is true. Just today, reading an article about weird traffic laws, I learned that in Rockville, MD, it is illegal to curse while driving. Mea culpa.
OMG, I need to stay away from Rockville... I'd be locked up for *^&#* life.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I check, and the law says it's illegal when it is loud enough for someone else to hear.

Often, when the other driver does, it can result in bullet flying, and a traffic citation is a minor concern.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You might be surprised. WAY more stuff is illegal than the average person could ever keep track of. True, many are 'civil' issues (on a par with jay walking, creeping through a stop sign, etc.) BUT they are out there and CAN be used against anyone. I would simply say that I do NOT film myself (period.) YMMV
It's truly interesting how many laws there are. A good book on it is Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent. It doesn't list the crimes, but more shows how once someone has been targeted, the laws can be manipulated to allow the charges.

I don't think I've videoed myself breaking any laws, but recently I was looking at some pictures from my bachelor party many long years ago, and there are bongs and baggies in the pictures. I didn't even notice them back in the day, but they sort of jump out at you now. Hopefully the Statute of Limitations has expired for those particular infractions.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

20 years ago my weekend house was broken into. The thieves stole a bunch of stuff including an atv. Got a call from the sheriff that they found my atv. Drove up to find the house ransacked. One of the deputies found a bag full of stuff in the yard. One of the items was a camera that I remembered had some pictures of my kids. Had the film developed and guess what? The idiots had taken pictures of themselves with all of the stuff they stole, including themselves inside the house. I showed the pics to the detectives and his jaw dropped. He said I know that kid! Went to his house the next morning before school to arrest him. He said later that he squealed like a pig and turned in all of his buddies. I guess they were just ahead of their times....
Old 02-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
20 years ago my weekend house was broken into. The thieves stole a bunch of stuff including an atv. Got a call from the sheriff that they found my atv. Drove up to find the house ransacked. One of the deputies found a bag full of stuff in the yard. One of the items was a camera that I remembered had some pictures of my kids. Had the film developed and guess what? The idiots had taken pictures of themselves with all of the stuff they stole, including themselves inside the house. I showed the pics to the detectives and his jaw dropped. He said I know that kid! Went to his house the next morning before school to arrest him. He said later that he squealed like a pig and turned in all of his buddies. I guess they were just ahead of their times....
A good friend of mine (quite some time back) left the ministry and became a councilor at a huge state prison. He told me that when he retired, he was going to write a book about his experiences. His proposed book title: "We Ain't In Here 'Cause We Smart"

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's truly interesting how many laws there are. A good book on it is Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent. It doesn't list the crimes, but more shows how once someone has been targeted, the laws can be manipulated to allow the charges.

I don't think I've videoed myself breaking any laws, but recently I was looking at some pictures from my bachelor party many long years ago, and there are bongs and baggies in the pictures. I didn't even notice them back in the day, but they sort of jump out at you now. Hopefully the Statute of Limitations has expired for those particular infractions.
Heh, heh, I even saw this where I w*rked! No, not so much felonies, but it was amazing how many 'company' rules you can break in a short period of time when they wanted to get rid of someone. It was strange, though. Pure incompetence didn't seem to raise the ire of management. Talk of unionization or bad-mouthing management was usually a quick ticket out the front gate - with duly documented 'infractions' in a nice little package.

Oh, and years back, a stunning female technician in our lab brought in pictures of her 22nd BD party. I noticed that her hubby was smoking a joint in one of the pics. This was, ca. 1980 so I took her aside later and suggested she pull that pic before handing the pics any further. She was quite grateful. YMMV

Old 02-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have read accounts by people living in China telling about how the government automatically debits your bank account if you break the law. For example, one guy jaywalked and when he got across the street, his phone chirped with a message that his bank account was debited.

We should be happy that we can break minor laws in privacy. Tonight I will try to find my sandals so I can wear socks with them
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Like celebs of today who 'out' themselves, I publicly acknowledge that I may have (or may not have) cut the tag off of every mattress ever purchased.

There, I feel much better now.
I ran with scissors once.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThinkin2019 View Post
I have read accounts by people living in China telling about how the government automatically debits your bank account if you break the law. For example, one guy jaywalked and when he got across the street, his phone chirped with a message that his bank account was debited.

We should be happy that we can break minor laws in privacy. Tonight I will try to find my sandals so I can wear socks with them
I just thought of this. No need to film yourself now. Gummint will gladly do it for you when you run a red light. Honolulu is (strongly) considering trying red light cameras again. This system is so fraught with proven abuse that it can only be to increase revenues. Can you imagine all the rear enders when folks slam on their brakes for every yellow light? Poor guy who gets rear-ended and pushed into the intersection will not only get whiplash and a crunched car, now he'll get a red-light fine. YMMV

Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I recall from a few years ago a man arrested for urinating on the grave of a deceased NFL team owner that is hated in a certain city for moving the team. He had posted the video of the act on YouTube.

Currently in the news is a story of a couple arrested for allegedly trying to run some kids on their bikes off the road because they disagreed with their political affiliation. They filmed some of this activity via Snapchat, which led to their arrest (not going to post any links, you can search for it if you desire).
Old 03-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

There's a Twitter feed called A Crime a Day that lists an absurd federal crime every day. Like this one
Quote:
21 USC §§331, 333, 343(g) & 21 CFR §136.130(a)(2) make it a federal crime to sell milk buns made with buttermilk.
. Or this one
Quote:
21 USC §§331, 333 & 21 CFR §145.125(b)(1)(iii) make it a federal crime to sell canned unpitted cherries if the largest cherry in the can is more than twice as heavy as the smallest cherry.
He's recently put out a book called How to Become a Federal Criminal: An Illustrated Handbook for the Aspiring Offender. I haven't bought it yet, but it looks pretty funny. Just passing it on in case anyone is interested.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #39
gone traveling

Thx for those reading suggestions harley.

Imho' in this country if you're targeted by LEO's you're probabaly doing something, anything, illegally.
That legal oversight on your part is legal reasoning to visit you

You might find this utube clip funny harley.

Best wishes....
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
Thx for those reading suggestions harley.

Imho' in this country if you're targeted by LEO's you're probabaly doing something, anything, illegally.
That legal oversight on your part is legal reasoning to visit you
Probably mentioned elsewhere: BIL was a LEO. I asked him about profiling. He smirked that if he suspected someone in a car - you know, cop intuition - the driver would give him a legal excuse within 6 blocks to pull them over. YMMV