Filming Yourself Doing Illegal Things

I don't do illegal things. There's nothing to film.

You might be surprised. WAY more stuff is illegal than the average person could ever keep track of. True, many are 'civil' issues (on a par with jay walking, creeping through a stop sign, etc.) BUT they are out there and CAN be used against anyone. I would simply say that I do NOT film myself (period.) YMMV

You might be surprised. WAY more stuff is illegal than the average person could ever keep track of.

This is true. Just today, reading an article about weird traffic laws, I learned that in Rockville, MD, it is illegal to curse while driving. Mea culpa.:blush:

This is true. Just today, reading an article about weird traffic laws, I learned that in Rockville, MD, it is illegal to curse while driving. Mea culpa.:blush:
OMG, I need to stay away from Rockville... I'd be locked up for *^&#* life.

I check, and the law says it's illegal when it is loud enough for someone else to hear.

Often, when the other driver does, it can result in bullet flying, and a traffic citation is a minor concern.

Last edited:
You might be surprised. WAY more stuff is illegal than the average person could ever keep track of. True, many are 'civil' issues (on a par with jay walking, creeping through a stop sign, etc.) BUT they are out there and CAN be used against anyone. I would simply say that I do NOT film myself (period.) YMMV

It's truly interesting how many laws there are. A good book on it is Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent. It doesn't list the crimes, but more shows how once someone has been targeted, the laws can be manipulated to allow the charges.

I don't think I've videoed myself breaking any laws, but recently I was looking at some pictures from my bachelor party many long years ago, and there are bongs and baggies in the pictures. I didn't even notice them back in the day, but they sort of jump out at you now. Hopefully the Statute of Limitations has expired for those particular infractions.

20 years ago my weekend house was broken into. The thieves stole a bunch of stuff including an atv. Got a call from the sheriff that they found my atv. Drove up to find the house ransacked. One of the deputies found a bag full of stuff in the yard. One of the items was a camera that I remembered had some pictures of my kids. Had the film developed and guess what? The idiots had taken pictures of themselves with all of the stuff they stole, including themselves inside the house. I showed the pics to the detectives and his jaw dropped. He said I know that kid! Went to his house the next morning before school to arrest him. He said later that he squealed like a pig and turned in all of his buddies. I guess they were just ahead of their times....

20 years ago my weekend house was broken into. The thieves stole a bunch of stuff including an atv. Got a call from the sheriff that they found my atv. Drove up to find the house ransacked. One of the deputies found a bag full of stuff in the yard. One of the items was a camera that I remembered had some pictures of my kids. Had the film developed and guess what? The idiots had taken pictures of themselves with all of the stuff they stole, including themselves inside the house. I showed the pics to the detectives and his jaw dropped. He said I know that kid! Went to his house the next morning before school to arrest him. He said later that he squealed like a pig and turned in all of his buddies. I guess they were just ahead of their times....

A good friend of mine (quite some time back) left the ministry and became a councilor at a huge state prison. He told me that when he retired, he was going to write a book about his experiences. His proposed book title: "We Ain't In Here 'Cause We Smart"

It's truly interesting how many laws there are. A good book on it is Three Felonies A Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent. It doesn't list the crimes, but more shows how once someone has been targeted, the laws can be manipulated to allow the charges.

I don't think I've videoed myself breaking any laws, but recently I was looking at some pictures from my bachelor party many long years ago, and there are bongs and baggies in the pictures. I didn't even notice them back in the day, but they sort of jump out at you now. Hopefully the Statute of Limitations has expired for those particular infractions.

Heh, heh, I even saw this where I w*rked! No, not so much felonies, but it was amazing how many 'company' rules you can break in a short period of time when they wanted to get rid of someone. It was strange, though. Pure incompetence didn't seem to raise the ire of management. Talk of unionization or bad-mouthing management was usually a quick ticket out the front gate - with duly documented 'infractions' in a nice little package.

Oh, and years back, a stunning female technician in our lab brought in pictures of her 22nd BD party. I noticed that her hubby was smoking a joint in one of the pics. This was, ca. 1980 so I took her aside later and suggested she pull that pic before handing the pics any further. She was quite grateful. YMMV

Last edited:

I have read accounts by people living in China telling about how the government automatically debits your bank account if you break the law. For example, one guy jaywalked and when he got across the street, his phone chirped with a message that his bank account was debited.

We should be happy that we can break minor laws in privacy. Tonight I will try to find my sandals so I can wear socks with them :)

I have read accounts by people living in China telling about how the government automatically debits your bank account if you break the law. For example, one guy jaywalked and when he got across the street, his phone chirped with a message that his bank account was debited.

We should be happy that we can break minor laws in privacy. Tonight I will try to find my sandals so I can wear socks with them :)

I just thought of this. No need to film yourself now. Gummint will gladly do it for you when you run a red light. Honolulu is (strongly) considering trying red light cameras again. This system is so fraught with proven abuse that it can only be to increase revenues. Can you imagine all the rear enders when folks slam on their brakes for every yellow light? Poor guy who gets rear-ended and pushed into the intersection will not only get whiplash and a crunched car, now he'll get a red-light fine. YMMV

I recall from a few years ago a man arrested for urinating on the grave of a deceased NFL team owner that is hated in a certain city for moving the team. He had posted the video of the act on YouTube.

Currently in the news is a story of a couple arrested for allegedly trying to run some kids on their bikes off the road because they disagreed with their political affiliation. They filmed some of this activity via Snapchat, which led to their arrest (not going to post any links, you can search for it if you desire).

There's a Twitter feed called A Crime a Day that lists an absurd federal crime every day. Like this one
21 USC §§331, 333, 343(g) & 21 CFR §136.130(a)(2) make it a federal crime to sell milk buns made with buttermilk.
. Or this one
21 USC §§331, 333 & 21 CFR §145.125(b)(1)(iii) make it a federal crime to sell canned unpitted cherries if the largest cherry in the can is more than twice as heavy as the smallest cherry.

He's recently put out a book called How to Become a Federal Criminal: An Illustrated Handbook for the Aspiring Offender. I haven't bought it yet, but it looks pretty funny. Just passing it on in case anyone is interested.

Thx for those reading suggestions harley.

Imho' in this country if you're targeted by LEO's you're probabaly doing something, anything, illegally.
That legal oversight on your part is legal reasoning to visit you;)

You might find this utube clip funny harley.

Best wishes....

Last edited:
Thx for those reading suggestions harley.

Imho' in this country if you're targeted by LEO's you're probabaly doing something, anything, illegally.
That legal oversight on your part is legal reasoning to visit you;)

Probably mentioned elsewhere: BIL was a LEO. I asked him about profiling. He smirked that if he suspected someone in a car - you know, cop intuition - the driver would give him a legal excuse within 6 blocks to pull them over. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom