Five Guys Burgers

I enjoy a good burger and there are a few places I like around here. Been to Five Guys three or four times in various cities, but never thought they lived up to the hype. Pretty ordinary, although definitely a step up from fast food places.

Part of the problem is that if I feel like a burger (not very often) there is nothing that can compare with what I would make at home.

I like the 5 Guys burgers and their fries, but they aren't a particularly good value. I love In 'n Out, sure wish we had them here in Ohio. My favorite chain burger: Fatburger (Double king chili cheese egg burger, thank you). Best value: Checkers (or Rally's) regular burger. I know the burger snobs will jeer, but I like 'em, they are fast, made (or at least assembled) to order, have fresh sliced tomatoes. Still hungry? Get two and still spend less than a McDs Quarter Pounder.

Last edited:
There is one near me but haven't tried it. But plan to give it a shot in the future. There is a chain called Back Yard Burger close to my old work place. They truly tasted like one off your own grill. When I worked you could get a combo for just under $7. Stopped by for the first time in years a few weeks ago and the darn thing was $10. Guess I'm getting cheap in my old age but not paying that for a drive thru fast food burger at that price. Ha.

Have not had 5 guys and now will not have to try them...
I’d never let the opinions of others, especially anonymous strangers, prevent me from trying any restaurant once. We have good friends whose restaurant opinions we value, but some of our good friends are horrible sources of restaurant reviews for us.

I’d try it and decide for myself, some here do like Five Guys. If you don’t you’re out $7-15 and 15 minutes of your life, but you’ll know if you want to go back.

Last edited:
The nearest Five Guys is too far away to want to go out of my way to eat there. It also happens to be near the closest Shake Shack I eat at maybe twice a year when I am in the area at a meal time. Shake Shack is a little pricey but it is very good. The next time I will be in the area will be in November but after reading these reviews I will stick with Shake Shack if I don't opt for pizza instead.

They are hamburgers. You were expecting to be impressed?

With all the hype and great ratings, yeah, I was expecting to be impressed. At $22 for 1 little burger, 1 big burger, 1 small fries and one small soda you would think it would be a great burger. And, it sounds like some folks here really do like them, so maybe it just wasn't the kind of burger I expected. We all have different tastes.

I think I'll just stick to the Corner Bar. 2 burgers, 2 fries, 2 beers, $15+tip.

Five guys is really expensive. I’ve been there twice and both times the meat seemed steamed instead of fried or grilled. In & out is cheaper and better.

I'm a huge Whataburger fan. I do like the fries at Five guys. Best burger ever though? That is at Teddy's Bigger Burgers. A chain in Hawaii. I think there is one location south of Dallas as well.

You In-n-Out fans realize they’re only in six states (California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Texas, and Oregon), so many of us don’t have that option unless traveling. I’d like to try one...

They are fast food burgers. They are not a $20 gourmet hamburger.

Five Guys is fine.

For the money I prefer In-n-Out as it is substantially cheaper than Five Guys.

They are Ok, the serving sizes for their fries is huge. I don't like the loud music though,
We have become very sensitive to music, and if a place has it so loud you can't talk to each other without shouting, we don't go!

I like In-Out-Burger, but have’nt had one for a while. I like to try Shake Shack sometime.

Last edited:
I like In-Out-Burger, but have’nt had one for a while. I like to try Shade Shack sometime.

I assume you mean Shake Shack. Very good burgers, very juicy.

Grease fries and burnt burgers.
Last time I was dragged there i asked for the burger to be medium or medium rare.
The cook said he can't do that and if you saw this beef you'd insist on it being well done.

With all the hype and great ratings, yeah, I was expecting to be impressed. At $22 for 1 little burger, 1 big burger, 1 small fries and one small soda you would think it would be a great burger. And, it sounds like some folks here really do like them, so maybe it just wasn't the kind of burger I expected. We all have different tastes.

I think I'll just stick to the Corner Bar. 2 burgers, 2 fries, 2 beers, $15+tip.
I don't go to a burger joint (or a corner bar) to be impressed.

I tend to like burgers at local joints rather than the chains. A few make great burgers and/or have great fries.

the actual burger at 5 guys is average for a fast food place. the big difference is being able to add all the extras on it at no additional cost, i.e. grilled mushrooms, grilled onions, pickles, tomatoes, sauces, etc. don't know any other fast food place that offers that.

Five Guys is better than your usual McD or Whutaburger. In-n-Out wasn’t anything special, certainly not up to the hype. The Fuddrucker’s chain is good, and even Chili’s burgers resemble a real burger, rather than a “factory burger”...

Two chains I haven't seen mentioned yet:

We've had Smashburger in a few states & think it's great. The burgers are cooked to order, and each store features a local-themed sandwich in addition to the standard offerings (sauteed mushroom, bacon, truffle mayo on brioche bun, mmmmm). Chicken & veggie variations as well. The fries are excellent as well; try the Smashfries, with olive oil & rosemary. Beers available.

On a trip out west we stumbled into a Freddy's & were very impressed. It's the only fast food joint that I know of that offers a patty melt, a fave of mine. Good shoestring fries, too. They brag about their shakes but I haven't tried them. Found out they're back here in the east too, one not too far from me; planning a visit soon to confirm my initial impression.:)

We've had Smashburger in a few states & think it's great.

Agree. Smashburgers are definitely good. The cool thing is that it's easier to make them at home than you might think.

Here's a short video of the Smashburger founder showing how they do it:

We had a Fatburger near my office in Jersey City (New Jersey) in the last few years I worked there (through 2008). The burgers were good and the shakes were great! Service was so-so, though. That place isn't there any more, and it looks like Fatburger pulled out of the eastern US and is only in the west now (and in some other countries).

My favorite burger place is a local place called The Original American Burger. They make these huge, half-pounders which just melt in your mouth. Each menu choice is named after a US state (I get the Alabama Burger which includes barbeque sauce). They also make good milkshakes although I haven't been able to touch those after I got diagnosed with Diabetes 3 years ago. I still take a burger home once in a while and cook my own fries (theirs are okay, not great) and my own low-carb chocolate milk (instead of a milkshake).

19th Hole Bar & Grill in The Woodlands, TX. Best burgers and wings on the north side of Houston for 25 years. Then it's everyone else. :)

We have a couple of 5G's in the area and word has it they are "greaseburgers" and pretty good fries. Haven't been there. However, DW and I are sports fans and when we go the the "Hole" for wings, we watch the Astros (or Texans or Rockets) on their multiple TV's.

Agree. Smashburgers are definitely good. The cool thing is that it's easier to make them at home than you might think.

Here's a short video of the Smashburger founder showing how they do it:

Right, we do that at home in a cast iron pan.
Should have noted that we only go to any of these places when we're on the road. If we can't find a reliable fast food joint (McD's no no no) we usually go out of our way to find a local place - cafe or diner style.

I miss Fuddrucker’s. The one close by closed. The toppings bar was like getting a side salad with your burger. I can’t figure out why they’re struggling. Upstaged by 5 Guys and Shakeshack I guess. I used to get a small burger, fries, and a BEER for $10 at Fuddruckers

I tried them, and to be honest, they are about half step above Wendy's. Def not worth the money. Way overrated IMO

Back
Top Bottom