Forbes Magazine -- Don't marry career women

Jay_Gatsby

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Forbes published a recent article on the drawbacks of marrying career women. I don't agree with everything the author wrote, but I do know that Forbes is going to draw a significant amount of hate-mail.

http://tinyurl.com/o8ud8

Then again, this isn't the first time Forbes published something racy.

http://tinyurl.com/s4fbp

Behind every great man is a great woman !

And behind every great woman is a great behind !

I whore daily for a paycheck, does that count? :D :D

One of the nine reasons not to marry a career woman is that the husband won't be as healthy:

"Wives working longer hours not do not have adequate time to monitor their husband's health and healthy behavior, to manage their husband's emotional well-being or buffer his workplace stress."

Poor babies.

The only sensible line in the article was this one at the end of the article:
"As with any social scientific study, it's important not to confuse correlation with causation." The rest is a bunch of specious speculation making precisely the mistake cautioned about at the end..

One point does make some sense. When one person isn't working, they can get a lot of the everyday crap done, like cooking, house repair, car maintenance, etc. This can give both parties more free time to enjoy. When you are both working your free time ends up being consumed with duties. But this isn't a male female thing.

It sure has been nice the past few years to have those things done for me when I am at work. :)

Why do some men choose career women?

Why do some women choose careers?

Answer these questions and you might explain some of the correlations. To imply causation is irrational if not irresponsible...

Martha:

Would you call my wife and tell her that after she gets done fixing the car and repairing the house that she can then cook me up a nice dinner.

MasterBlaster said:
Martha:

Would you call my wife and tell her that after she gets done fixing the car and repairing the house that she can then cook me up a nice dinner.

I guess I have a great wife. :)

. . . recent studies have found professional women are more likely to get divorced, more likely to cheat, less likely to have children, and, if they do have kids, they are more likely to be unhappy about it.

I wonder if you replaced the word "women" with "men" if this wouldn't also be true. :eek:

One point does make some sense. When one person isn't working, they can get a lot of the everyday crap done, like cooking, house repair, car maintenance, etc. This can give both parties more free time to enjoy. When you are both working your free time ends up being consumed with duties. But this isn't a male female thing.

In this sense it's the same as being single. Whe I was working for money and being single I still had to do all that crap but I never waisted any time doing it. You pay people to do it so you can have free time. Two professionals or just 2 working stiffs, really ought to be able to have it easier not harder.

And cookin an cleaning and ongoing Life Maintenence doesnt take up so much time that it puts pressure on a marriage. All that old time Alice Kramden nonsense about how hard cooking and cleaning and making beds is, is well, nonsense. And don't tell me about the old days. They're gone 50-100 yrs now.

Besides a little Co-cooking, co-cleaning, and co-shopping can be good for a marriage or any relationship unless you want to make it a deleterious chore. Maybe that speaks to the types of people involved and their real motives.

I've known a career woman with two graduate degrees for 28 years, been married to her for 20, and lived with her for over 16. A few thoughts come to mind:

- Who's in charge of determining what's "statistically significant" and why doesn't Forbes cough up the correlations? Maybe they think the men only care about sports statistics.

- Forbes must be having a slow political month. But at least they appreciate that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

- Why is the article accompanied by a slide show with pictures? Is it for the men who can't read?

- Yes, I "read" the slide show. Nice new avatar, Mikey!

- Where were all these promiscuous adulterous women when I was at graduate school?!? If this was a legitimate & serious study the researchers would at least have provided names & phone numbers.

- Speaking of promiscuous & adulterous co-workers, apparently I made a big mistake in joining the submarine service.

- If both spouses cheat on each other, is that one extramarital affair or two?

- Is it possible that a two-career couple has fewer kids because there's less sex (with each other)?

- Is it possible that career couples divorce more frequently because neither is financially hostage to the other?

- I showed my spouse the paragraph about workplace infidelity where "The work environment provides a host of potential partners". She's still chuckling.

- I'm quite happy to be married to someone who's been out-earning me by a ratio of at least 100:1. Does that mean I have very low self-esteem, or does mine pale in comparison to her ego?

Does that mean I have very low self-esteem, or does mine pale in comparison to her ego?

Since you asked, it means you have very low self-esteem.  But that's OK.

I'm in a two-career professional family as well. I'm not sure if I have the sanity to show the article to my spouse.

Nords said:
Nice new avatar, Mikey!

Thank you! BTW,that's me, about to give that beautiful lady the world's most stupendous hickey. :-*

I was initially attracted by the understated shade of her lipstick

Ha

HaHa said:
I was initially attracted by the understated shade of her lipstick

But is she a career woman? Could be trouble! :-\

I just read on Huffington Post that Forbes has taken this article down from their website! Good Riddence!

Well no wonder, just look at this poor guy who married a career woman... And to make matters worse, she makes more money than him.

The horror...The horror...

Attachments

• you.JPG
    you.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 124
  • you.JPG_thumb
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
shiny said:
But is she a career woman?  Could be trouble!  :-\

Of course she is Shiney. We will however leave the nature of her career unspecified, out of deference to her sensitive nature.

Ha

Hey! - I married a career woman and I think it's great. I am a women's libber and I practice what I preach! 8) -

Minnesota - Soon to have a Woman Senator. :)

My DW stayed home for 27 years and raised the kids. 7 years ago she went back to work at the local school district. She retired today and the career is over. Best thing is an 8K 1/2cola pension and medical which we only pay 10% for. To me that's a great career.

No problems here with being married to a "career woman." It was especially nice in grad school - the life style except for the financial part.

In her career commissions have often been a large part of her salary. In a bad year I'll make more. In a good year she'll make more. Sometimes a lot more. I prefer good years.

We were DINKs for more than 10 years. We had well defined "MY activities, HER activities and OUR activities."

BUT, it got a lot trickier when the kids showed up . . .

I guess I'm the opposite of this article. I married a non-career woman 35 years ago and it lasted a couple of years. I married a career woman 23 years ago and its been happily ever after. Of course, I always liked woman who are smarter than me. Makes for more interesting conversations.

By the way, what happened to the article? Did Forbes get blasted bad enough to take it down in embarrassment?

The news just ran a segment with a panel of women complaining about the article. I'm paraphrasing here, but the consensus was that they think he's an idiot.

Looks like the article did exactly what they wanted: Generate some publicity.

Back
Top Bottom