Fortress America

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Honda will soon announce another plant for the US - one of the reasons stated in a Financial Times story - is they are growing concerned about the US becoming more protectionist...they want to assemble 90% of their US cars here and be seen as an "American" company.....Toyota is doing the same and their ads are emphasizing their american operations - a chrysler VP has accused them of wrapping themselves in the flag they don't salute...

What with "securing our borders", growing concern with trade imbalances, outsourcing, congress wanting to vet foreign companies buying american, etc. - I am worried about the impact on our economy , markets, the dollar, the american standard of living, the ability to maintain retirement, attain retirement and our children being able to muster a life as good as we have had....

Honda has looked around and decided with the dollar dropping like a rock that they better make their cars here. Otherwise the decreasing exchange rate will cause their cars to be priced out of the market.

The rest of the flag stuff is a bunch of corporate happy-speak dribble.

Cool Dood said:
Settle down, or you'll get an ulcer..... ;)
:D
Then there are the clowns "leading" our country and "solving" these issues...oooooH, get the Levofloxacin, Hon!

Honda is the least Japanese of the Japanese car companies. It was started by an engineer who loved cars, not an insider conglomerate like most of corporate Japan. And long ago Honda had more car production in the US than Japan.

DanTien said:
... a chrysler VP has accused them of wrapping themselves in the flag they don't salute...

This is pretty hilarious - in fact Chrysler is now DaimlerChrysler, a German company. This was supposed to be a "merger of equals" but was in fact a buy out of Chrysler by Daimler. The main purpose Chrysler executives serve is to maintain the pretense that Chrysler still exists as an American company.

I drive a Honda, made here in Alliston, Ontario,a nd the new Honda Plant is in North America, rumour is that it is coming to Ontario.

My previous car, which I loved, was Texan made, a Buick Park Avenue.

Due to Canada's greatness, the U.S. ceded the Midwest to Canada as a peace offering. Special Agent Maxibillion had advance notice... :D

Honda have announced they are building a Plant in Ontario.

Justin, We will take the Mid West, gladly, if you will take Quebec, Nova Scotia, and a Province to be named later.

DanTien said:
Honda will soon announce another plant for the US - one of the reasons stated in a Financial Times story - is they are growing concerned about the US becoming more protectionist...they want to assemble 90% of their US cars here and be seen as an "American" company.....Toyota is doing the same and their ads are emphasizing their american operations - a chrysler VP has accused them of wrapping themselves in the flag they don't salute...
They're no fools-- they're going to buy the cheap real estate being vacated by GM & Ford...

justin said:
Due to Canada's greatness, the U.S. ceded the Midwest to Canada as a peace offering.  Special Agent Maxibillion had advance notice...   :D

Does that mean I can withdraw my immigration application and $400K loan? If I'm being ceded to Canada, does that mean Canadian citizenship?

Nords said:
They're no fools-- they're going to buy the cheap real estate being vacated by GM & Ford...

Well, not in Indiana ... they've been securing rights to about 1,000 of farmland in the southeast corner of the state.
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/BUSINESS/605170491/1003
    That would put them in good company with Toyota, which has 2 plants in the SW portion of the state, and is planning to build Camrys in its portion of a Subaru plant in the northwest portion.

The Midwest is part of Canada now? Does this mean I get free healthcare? Or gravy on my french fries?

VoyT said:
   Well, not in Indiana ... they've been securing rights to about 1,000 of farmland in the southeast corner of the state.

Sell 'em all the real estate they want; they can't take it home with them. And the last time the Japanese went on a US (real estate) buying spree... :D

Maximillion said:
Justin, We will take the Mid West, gladly, if you will take Quebec, Nova Scotia, and a Province to be named later.

I doubt that the folks in Quebec would agree to that deal. Aren't they net gainers from Canada's Federal government (pay 1 Loony in tax and receive 1.3 Loonies in benefits)

Thailand might agree to take the Midwest. The Thais want to become the "Detroit" of Asia. Maybe they'll start offering 'Buy one Honda; get one free" Great for travelers-keep one in Bangkok and take one back to Indiana.

Maybe they'll build a bridge someday...

Vevay is a nice little town.  I used to live in Hanover, a little west of there.  Nice folks in Vevay, don't ya think?

"Vevay is a historic river town settled in 1802 by Swiss immigrants relocating from Vevey, Switzerland. The new settlers planted grapes thus establishing the first commercial winery in the United States. Vevay, Switzerland County Indiana, where you can enjoy small town charm and big city excitement all rolled into one unforgettable trip!"

I'm from Austin, about 20 miles west of Hanover. Was in a science fair at the college once. Been to several Madison regattas over the years (well, back when...). Worked in North Vernon making car parts. Partied in Lawrenceburg...

Old stompin' grounds...

HFWR said:
I'm from Austin, about 20 miles east of Hanover.
  Well go ta heck HFWR, I thought there was something familar about you!  Used to get off I65 at the Austin exit to cut over to Hanover and Madison.  :D
Was in a science fair at the college once.
Well, I spent four years there....... No regrets. Go Panthers! 
  Been to several Madison regattas over the years (well, back when...).
  Have you seen the movie "Madison."  Filmed in Madison a couple of years ago.  It's about the year (1972?) the national unlimited hydroplane championships where held in Madison and Miss Madison won. 
Worked in North Vernon making car parts. Partied in Lawrenceburg...

Old stompin' grounds...

I get back there every once in a while.  Last time was in 2004 for my 35th reunion.  Lots of good times.......

I'll have to check it out. I was at the Regatta that year, along with a hearse full of hippies with a #3 washtub full of wacky-tobacky... :eek:

Ooooh boy.......... By any chance was one of those hippies a guy named Smiley with a navel length red beard and wearing glasses?

They were from around Indy, as if I could recall (AIICR)... One guy had a "Commander Quaalude" t-shirt...  :p

I had just discovered the joys evils of maryjane...

Anyway, there were two groups that pulled in beside us (me in a black '66 Bug), one being in a hearse, the other in an old panel truck. Ran into some of the same crew at a Labor Day concert in Indy. Seigal-Schwall Band, McKendree Spring, Dr. John, and Larry Coryell...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom