Free TV 2300 Channels - Legal

You don't believe that things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them? You can think your baseball card is worth $200 but if nobody will pay you that much, it isn't worth that much.

You don't believe that things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them?
I believe things are worth what the people who are willing to pay for them are willing to pay for them. I also believe that self-centered greed motivates some people to steal, without regard to the worth of things.

You can think your baseball card is worth $200 but if nobody will pay you that much, it isn't worth that much.
And if someone steals your baseball card, that doesn't actually change its value.

You don't believe that things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them? You can think your baseball card is worth $200 but if nobody will pay you that much, it isn't worth that much.

Of course I do! If someone is willing to pay $200 for a baseball card, that card is worth $200. That is not to say it will be woth $200 in a month, but at that point it is worth $200.

Something is only worth what people are willing to pay. If people are willing to commit a crime to get it, the product is probably overpriced.

Hmm, I may need to rethink my "it's okay to talk to the police" belief if you truly believe things that are stolen are probably overpriced....

It's not unreasonable to think that ESPN alone would cost upwards of $20 per month as a standalone product.
This really should help folks understand just how valuable cable really is, and how much more most of us would pay if channels were a la carte.

It also is upsetting to think that I'm paying more so other people can enjoy ESPN for a lot less than they should be paying for it, but that's a slippery slope.

Hmm, I may need to rethink my "it's okay to talk to the police" belief if you truly believe things that are stolen are probably overpriced....

The more overpriced things get, the more they get stolen. Gas is getting stolen at a record pace. That doesn't mean that I condone it. I'm a law abiding citizen.

The more overpriced things get, the more they get stolen.
Uh, no.

My education is several decades old, but I don't think the psychology of theft has changed much. From memory, some of the reason are: sensation-seeking (especially in the case of depression), risk-taking behavior, low self-esteem (the theft representing a claiming of power), inclination toward deviant behavior, defective concept of ownership.

Uh, no.

My education is several decades old, but I don't think the psychology of theft has changed much. From memory, some of the reason are: sensation-seeking (especially in the case of depression), risk-taking behavior, low self-esteem (the theft representing a claiming of power), inclination toward deviant behavior, defective concept of ownership.

LOL. Is that what they teach in books? You should go hang out in the projects for a few days. That might be why someone like Wynona Rider steals, but not the rest of the real world.

Every rational, data-based analysis shows that most customers benefit from that arrangement. If you need some insights into this, switch to C-Band and see how much it costs per channel. The break-even point for me was 6 channels: ABC Family, USA, Syfy, TNT, CNN, FX, AMC. If you like sports, the break-even point is earlier.

This I think indicates the problem with your logic: You're presuming entitlement to high-quality, inexpensive entertainment. There is no such entitlement.

That much is true, but what you're suggesting reflects the true cancer in society - not media outlet seeking to be compensated for what their offerings are worth, based on what the marketplace is willing to pay - that's tried-and-true American capitalism - but rather the cancer is those within society who seek to place themselves above others by exploiting, abusing, and otherwise transgressing against responsible conduct.

Expecting people to pay what something is worth in the marketplace is fair, though.

You're way out in right field on this. How much Comcast stock do you own?

LOL. Is that what they teach in books?
No. It is was actual experts have learned from their research and expertise, and relayed to anyone mature enough to put their own personal preference aside to open their mind to what's actual.

You're way out in right field on this. How much Comcast stock do you own?
I just sold it all. I'm sorry that the truth upsets you.

I know it is fun to speculate that some fanboy's wet dream of cheap teevee is what's right and true, and that some ridiculously overripe monster is depriving people of this dream. It's simply not the case.

Last edited:
No. It is was actual experts have learned from their research and expertise, and relayed to anyone mature enough to put their own personal preference aside to open their mind to what's actual.

Ive spent over 22 years as a cop in one of the biggest cities in the US. With all due respect to whoever claims to have done research and written a book, I am pretty sure that I am more of an expert on certain basic human behaviors than any of them. Ive interviewed enough people one on one to know that if someone is broke and needs or wants something badly enough, they will take it. Its that simple. In most cases, it has nothing to do with low self-esteem or inclination toward deviant behavior or that other crap.

I've read about 50 of your posts recently and the tone of most of them indicate to me that you know everything, so obviously nothing I say is going to change your mind. This is my last attempt.

The more overpriced things get, the more they get stolen.

Maybe you mean: "The more expensive things get the more they get stolen."

My argument to you is that if something is selling at a price it is not "overpriced" (if it is overpriced, it would not sell). Just because a person can not afford something does not mean it is overpriced; whether that be gas, ESPN or baseball cards. And because someone thinks they should not have to pay what someone is selling it for does not give then the right to steal it.

I have spent most of my life writing software, I could spend thousands of hours building something and because someone could make a copy and install it on their machine without paying, they think that is ok. Sorry, If someone uses cable, copies music, copies software, and then uses it, they are stealing. Just as if they are reaching into the owners pocket.

Last edited:
I am more of an expert on certain basic human behaviors than any of them.
I'm sure that they disagree with you. Everyone speaks from their own experience and knowledge, and from their own biases if they have a reason to have a bias.

I've read about 50 of your posts recently and the tone of most of them indicate to me that you know everything,
Right back at ya.

so obviously nothing I say is going to change your mind. This is my last attempt.
You shouldn't be "attempting" to change my mind. We all post based on experience and acquired knowledge, and in the context of this forum all such contributions are every bit as valid as all other such contributions. I'll relay what I know; you relay what you know. If they aren't consistent with each other, live with it.

My argument to you is that if something is selling at a price it is not "overpriced" (if it is overpriced, it would not sell). Just because a person can not afford something does not mean it is overpriced; whether that be gas, ESPN or baseball cards. And because someone thinks they should not have to pay what someone is selling it for does not give then the right to steal it.
Precisely right.

I have spent most of my life writing software, I could spend thousands of hours building something and because someone could make a copy and install it on their machine without paying, they think that is ok. Sorry, If someone uses cable, copies music, copies software, and then uses it, they are stealing. Just as if they are reaching into the owners pocket.

I've always been interesting in the conflicting behavior of people. For example, about a year or so ago on a whim DW had a few Glamor Shots done at her hairdresser's. I was there because we were going elsewhere afterward.

In a discussion with the photographer she mentioned that it was easy to find a valid serial number for Photoshop so there was no need to pay for it. But I'm sure she'd be incensed if someone stole her photos.

That kind of disconnect has always fascinated me.:confused:

BTW, I did pay for my copy of Photoshop.

I find that sort of thing rather rare, though, at least in my second career. Most of the people I work with recognize the correlation between respecting the property rights of others and having others respect the property rights that pay our salaries. I guess I assumed that the only people who actively ignore the property rights of others are those for whom respect for property rights has much less significant impact.

In a discussion with the photographer she mentioned that it was easy to find a valid serial number for Photoshop so there was no need to pay for it. But I'm sure she'd be incensed if someone stole her photos.

That kind of disconnect has always fascinated me.:confused:

It is not only people, but firms can have the same disconnect. I have seen firms very protective of their intellectual property, but have 30 people running on 3 licenses of Microsoft Office.

One thing that I don't understand is why all OTA TV isn't available via the web (commercials and all). We live in a rural area where OTA TV reception is poor. I would like to get my local OTA channels via the web and then dump my satellite provider and then go with Hulu Plus/NetFlix, etc for other programming, but the inability to get my locals via web is keeping me on satellite.

This thread inspired me to look into cable alternatives. No, not the illegal stuff. Today I bought a $15 digital flat antenna(RCA Digital Flat Antenna - Walmart.com) to see what I would get with it. Simple installation and in a matter of minutes, I have 10 free HD channels. All the major networks, a few public broadcast channels, a weather channel and other stuff. Plus a music channel. And the quality is perfect. I'm amazed what I got for $15. Of course I can get Bloomberg TV via the net to satisfy my financial news needs and other sites like ESPN3 that carries lot's of the same games as on ESPN. I will probably sign up for Netflix for other programming.

My situation is requiring me to spend more and more time at my mom's house due to her failing health, so I can always catch cable programming over there. No need paying $70/mo for cable when I'm simply not at my house much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom