Televisions - last ditch effort

SunnyOne said:
I live in an apartment where cable and internet is included in the rent.

I spoke with the cable/internet provider before making a purchase to find out which television brands work best with their service.

What is the name of the cable TV provider?

There is no cable box. I access the cable TV via a password given to me by the provider. Each apartment here has a password for access. The app for the cable TV service is downloaded from the internet.

Where is the app for the cable TV service downloaded into? What device?

I seem to recall the provider telling me they are not compatible with Roku - so if I go that route, I lose local channels.

99.8% certain this is misinformation.

In this new world of television, can we really have it all? seems not.

Yes, yes, you can have it all.

I notice the similar issues whenever I stay in hotels.

That's because the hotel controls what you can see on their sets.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

The television is: TCL 50" Class S4 S-Class 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV with Google TV - 50S450G

The provider is: https://www.newvisionsfiber.com/

The New Visions app is downloaded onto the television. They had me go to a site, then download from there onto the tv.

Thank you for the assist with this.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

The television is: TCL 50" Class S4 S-Class 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV with Google TV - 50S450G

The provider is: https://www.newvisionsfiber.com/

The New Visions app is downloaded onto the television. They had me go to a site, then download from there onto the tv.

Thank you for the assist with this.

I would return that TCL TV with Google and get the equivalent TCL Series 4 TV but with Roku. For the 50" screen it would be TCL 50" CLASS 4-SERIES 4K UHD HDR LED SMART ROKU TV - 50S455.

Here it is at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TCL-50S450R-Assistant-Compatibility-Television/dp/B0C1HZ8QF4?th=1

(I'd advise you to go at least 55" if your TV stand can accomodate the spacing of the feet on the bottom of the TV.)

You don't have any type of cable TV service with that provider. They provide internet access only.

Before you got the new TV what cable TV service were you using? Something like Charter, Spectrum, or Comcast? If so, you would download the Spectrum app onto your TV, then log in using your user name and password you used for Spectrum cable TV.

Last edited:
This page on the New Visions site shows the cable TV offerings. My landlord covers this for us in their rental fees.

https://www.newvisionsfiber.com/tv/

I didn't have any other cable service before I moved here. I worked as a digital nomad before living here - for nearly 5 years.

I would return that TCL TV with Google and get the equivalent TCL Series 4 TV but with Roku...

If you look at OP's cable provider info here https://www.newvisionsfiber.com/tv/ , Roku is not listed as a supported platform. Their apps for Apple https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nv-tv/id1466048268 and Google https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newvisions.tv.platform&hl=en_US&gl=US are developed by TiVo, which is a direct competitor of Roku, so that may be the reason.

At any rate, it seems like buying a Roku device is probably not the solution for using the TV service that's included with his rent.

They do have apps for Chromecast, Fire TV, TiVo Stream, Apple TV, etc, so perhaps one of those would be more user friendly than the TV's own interface. If the existing TV has an HDMI port, then you don't actually need a new TV to try out a different solution. You could buy a Fire TV Stick from Amazon for $20 (Cyber Monday deal), plug it into your TV, install your provider's app, and give it a try.

If you look at OP's cable provider info here https://www.newvisionsfiber.com/tv/ , Roku is not listed as a supported platform. Their apps for Apple https://apps.apple.com/us/app/nv-tv/id1466048268 and Google https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newvisions.tv.platform&hl=en_US&gl=US are developed by TiVo, which is a direct competitor of Roku, so that may be the reason.

Oh my, I don't know how I missed seeing that! As usual cathy63 has the correct answer. Roku is not going to work on this provider. (And so much for their advertised, "Works on all your favourite devices.")

They do have apps for Chromecast, Fire TV, TiVo Stream, Apple TV, etc, so perhaps one of those would be more user friendly than the TV's own interface. If the existing TV has an HDMI port, then you don't actually need a new TV to try out a different solution. You could buy a Fire TV Stick from Amazon for $20 (Cyber Monday deal), plug it into your TV, install your provider's app, and give it a try.

Well, Firestick would work, but having used it in the past I found it only slightly easier to use than Google TV and dumped it for the simplicity of Roku. It's too bad that SunnyOne's provider does not support Roku.

We have a Hisense with Google TV. The Google TV interface is "meh" and I've found some apps to be a bit flaky.

We also have a Samsung. The interface is a bit over complicated.

Rokus are soild and cheap.

I concur with others:
Option 1: Return the TV and swap it for a different brand/interface if you can do that without penalty. But you probably need to move fast in terms of return policy. Your credit card may have some sort of return help as well.

Option 2: Buy a Roku for $40 and try that.

Op bought her TV in August from Target, so it's unlikely to still be returnable, though it may well have been when they first asked us about this problem. At this point I'd treat that as a sunk cost, and go to Costco or somewhere with a better return policy.

If you're on Syracuse NY, have you tried sticking an indoor antenna in a window to see what's available over the air. Looks like there are a ton of channels available in the area for free and no app or internet needed, just a good TV signal. If that won't work then try a FireTv plugged into the HDMI port in the back of your existing TV.

https://www.channelmaster.com/pages/free-tv-channels-syracuse-ny-13206

Last edited:
I paid for the TV with my Target Redcard which extends the return policy for an additional 30 days - so, in my case - through December 10.

If I go with option 2, I lose my free local channels - presumably would then have to pay for Peacock, Paramount, etc.

I had not considered an indoor antenna. My only windows face an interior courtyard - and I am in a concrete building. Not sure that matters. Will look into it.

Thank you to all.

I don't have a TV with 'Google TV' built into it, but I do have a 'Google TV with Chromecast' dongle that plugs into an HDMI port on my ten-year-old TV that works pretty well. I use a lot of streaming apps including YouTubeTV instead of cable, so perhaps that makes a big difference.

I have a fairly new 55" LG TV that run WebOS for smart apps. Not fully satisfied. I fine the quality of the UI the different stream service provide vary from OK to bad. Paramount seems to be the worse UI. My biggest complaint other than the quality of apps, is the built in processor could be faster. Never thought that would be a thing and haven't looked at TV specs to see if they even say how fast the processor is. Takes way too long for the apps to load. I don't have cable, I supplement with an outside antenna.

Maybe it would be easier for you to just plug a Roku device or a Fire stick into an HDMI port in your existing Google TV and use that instead.

I second this. I've been using Roku for a few years and I love it. I like using an external device so I can take it on trips, if wanted.

I cut the cable tv cord when I moved cross country.

I bought a Sony Bravia, it seriously sucks. When it was upstairs I had to hard reboot it about once a week. Literally, pull the plug from the wall, and let it sit for about a minute, replug it in turn it on and let it do its thing.

I’m in the middle of a remodel, and I decided to place the Sony downstairs in the basement, where I was living, and I don’t have to reboot it anymore. Because it has a Roku I think, I don’t know this for sure, it’s new thing is I can turn it off, but it’ll turn itself back on. I unplugged it.

I bought a new TV for upstairs. It is a Vizio I had one of those in California I kid you not I think it was 14 years old and the TV was on all the time. Now it’s not on all the time. I did attach a Roku device to it because there are certain things that the smart TV doesn’t get. They don’t have a PBS app, you can watch PBS on YouTube. No. They also don’t seem to have a BritBox app. You can watch that on YouTube. No.

At this point I am paying for Paramount+, that’ll be the last month this month, and BritBox, and this oddball little app called friendly TV. It’s literally old television and Hallmark movie channels. I really enjoy Hallmark mysteries. I am not ashamed to say that I am a cozy lover.

But I now also use a Mohu antenna. It doesn’t look really good. But it allows me to watch local television. Here’s the thing I’m old. Do you remember in the I think it was the 80s or the 90s they came up with appointment television I am seriously OK with that. Remembering to sit down at 9 o’clock to watch NCIS on Monday, I’m OK with that, I can plan my day around it.

Streaming is fine, and I don’t need 7000 things to watch because frankly all of it is OK but not memorable. I went from over $100 a month satellite television cost to now I pay a grand total of 15 bucks a month for television. Which I can cancel it anytime . I might be at the end of BritBox for a bit.

My niece recommended that murder show with Steve Martin and Martin Short, and I watched three episodes and they were enjoyable, and I have no desire to go back to finish it up. I don’t care about the characters. The storytelling is unique and at the same time dull.

But this should surprise no one because at this point to put myself to sleep at night I’m listening to broadcast of mystery stories from the 40s. Like Richard Diamond, Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone.

I cut the cable tv cord when I moved cross country.

I bought a Sony Bravia, it seriously sucks. When it was upstairs I had to hard reboot it about once a week. Literally, pull the plug from the wall, and let it sit for about a minute, replug it in turn it on and let it do its thing.

I’m in the middle of a remodel, and I decided to place the Sony downstairs in the basement, where I was living, and I don’t have to reboot it anymore. Because it has a Roku I think, I don’t know this for sure, it’s new thing is I can turn it off, but it’ll turn itself back on. I unplugged it.

I bought a new TV for upstairs. It is a Vizio I had one of those in California I kid you not I think it was 14 years old and the TV was on all the time. Now it’s not on all the time. I did attach a Roku device to it because there are certain things that the smart TV doesn’t get. They don’t have a PBS app, you can watch PBS on YouTube. No. They also don’t seem to have a BritBox app. You can watch that on YouTube. No.

At this point I am paying for Paramount+, that’ll be the last month this month, and BritBox, and this oddball little app called friendly TV. It’s literally old television and Hallmark movie channels. I really enjoy Hallmark mysteries. I am not ashamed to say that I am a cozy lover.

But I now also use a Mohu antenna. It doesn’t look really good. But it allows me to watch local television. Here’s the thing I’m old. Do you remember in the I think it was the 80s or the 90s they came up with appointment television I am seriously OK with that. Remembering to sit down at 9 o’clock to watch NCIS on Monday, I’m OK with that, I can plan my day around it.

Streaming is fine, and I don’t need 7000 things to watch because frankly all of it is OK but not memorable. I went from over $100 a month satellite television cost to now I pay a grand total of 15 bucks a month for television. Which I can cancel it anytime . I might be at the end of BritBox for a bit.

My niece recommended that murder show with Steve Martin and Martin Short, and I watched three episodes and they were enjoyable, and I have no desire to go back to finish it up. I don’t care about the characters. The storytelling is unique and at the same time dull.

But this should surprise no one because at this point to put myself to sleep at night I’m listening to broadcast of mystery stories from the 40s. Like Richard Diamond, Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone.
We have a Sony Bravia, going on three years. Never had an issue. The color and clarity is better than the LG we have in the den. We run a Sonos soundbar on it.

I don’t believe in smart TV’s with built in Roku or Fire or whatnot. Get a good tv and use a streaming stick. Of course we cut the cable long ago when AT&at was gouging us like crazy.

With a plug in stick if there is a problem or I want to upgrade it is easy and cheap to do

Try a Fire Stick or Roku

Get the one that works best with your cable company’s app, about $35.
If you have Xfinity get a fire Stick.
If you have Spectrum get an Roku.

You can use these on your other TV’s that don’t have a cable box.
The Fire TV stick can also control your TV (on/off, volume, apps).

Sony TV with Google TV built in

i have a Sony Brava TV with Google TV built in. Its different and I have not yet conquered the learning curve.

But I like the comprehensive integration of steaming services with the rest of the TV, and I like that it knows when to turn on my DirecTV box.

As far as I am concerned Google TV integration is the next major step for the integration of broadcast TV, Streaming, and many services that are available via computers and the internet.

My theory is to buy a cheap TV from Costco as they'll take it back with no questions if it doesn't w*rk for you. All the "smart" stuff seems like a recipe for frustration. Of course, I'm a dinosaur, so take that into account and YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom