Freeze credit report?

But I saw from another thread that you did report it to the police, and you did

It sounds like a letter from the IRS saying someone had accessed your account is enough to establish ID theft.

Of course that pretty much proves ID theft in that someone else had at least your DOB and SS# and attempted to use them.

I'm still trying to figure out whether the letter from Experian is enough for DH to go get a police report or DPS ID theft incident report.

Apparently a fraudulent credit card charge is enough to get an Identity Theft affidavit from the FTC. I had a couple of fraudulent charges in Dec 2015 that I had to call in and protest. So I filled out the information at identitytheft.gov and I know have an affidavit that I can take to a notary or the police department. That might work for me. Still trying to find a solution for DH.

I did go to the police to have a record as a victim and also filled out the affidavit from the FTC. But when time came to freezing my credit, I just went ahead and did that online instead of going the free method, partially as a matter of convenience and fear (again the fish out of water) not wanting the idea of my SSN floating around in some underground market, so I froze as soon as possible.

I did want a notarized record for fear that if say, as a result of someone pretending as me, I get stopped by the police, I can say, no I'm a victim of ID theft and didn't commit the crime. At least that way I have notarized, documented proof that my ID was stolen on such and such date and I reported it.

Last edited:
The cost to freeze and unfreeze your credit varies by state. I live in NY and was able to freeze for free. To thaw, I have to pay $5 for each service.

If you are a victim of fraud, you can get a credit REPORT for free. Freezes/ thaws are different than a credit report.

You can also get a free report once a year from each bureau.

Hope this helps

I live in NY and it was free to freeze my credit report last year after Empire/Anthem got hacked. I had to thaw it for a day when I wanted to increase my credit line a few months later. At least I had printed out and stored my PIN which made it pretty easy via conference call with me, my bank, and the credit agency the bank uses. No charge for the thaw, either, at least that first one.

I have requested a one time access pin number from a credit bureau. I provided the pin to the bank, they used it to get one copy of my report, and that's all it's good for. No charge.

Back
Top Bottom