Gift Idea For Relative With Cancer

Gremlin

Recycles dryer sheets
My niece got married last month to a great young guy. This week he was diagnosed with stomach cancer. Obviously, we are all devastated. Yesterday he had a G tube (gastrostomy tube for feeds) placed and will be starting chemo soon.

I am trying to think of something to send them. Food is definitely out. I searched for other threads but couldn't find anything appropriate although I thought I remember some threads that included ideas for people on chemo.

Any suggestions?

body lotion, chap stick, sleep/comfort helpers: neck pillow, mask, weighted blanket or soft blanket, non slip socks, soft hats
books/magazines/puzzles
grub hub or such (niece will need to eat, may appreciate delivery)

I am so sorry your family is experiencing this. Sending up healing prayers.

Amazon cards to buy something to read,or video stream,or music to listen too. I used to do this for a,cousin who had cancer..

So sorry to hear this sad news, Gremlin. I expect he won't be feeling great going through chemo, etc., and she will be emotionally exhausted, so something they can enjoy together as a bit of a distraction might be welcome. If they like puzzles, etc., then some large elaborate jigsaw puzzles or adult LEGO sets (this is a big thing with some younger folks) might be OK. If they like movies/TV, then maybe a prepaid subscription to a streaming service they don't have already? Best wishes to them for a good outcome all around.

Pacergals nice ideas yet those items take up space and need some sort of care ..every item you mention involves a personal choice..ie chapstick and body lotion.

I love all the helpful suggestions and appreciate the well wishes! I am going to start a list of possibilities and then perhaps consult with my sister. I was thinking of maybe two gifts, one for my niece and one for her husband.

A new tablet, Netflix subscription, A subscription for lawn care or maid service (help with daily chores), cash.

A new tablet, Netflix subscription, A subscription for lawn care or maid service (help with daily chores), cash.

I like the lawn care and maid service...or how about signing them up for a free delivery subscription, Target offers one and several other retailers do as well.

I think it would be hard to know what type of tablet device they enjoy.

These are all great! And Target 2019, that was the post I remembered but couldn't find. My list of possibilities is growing bigger, which I think will help me make an informed choice. I'm also going to go looking for online support groups for this specific type of cancer to suggest to my niece.

"A healthy man has a thousand dreams. A sick man has only one."

Gifts aren't worth much to a cancer patient.

Nonetheless there have been some excellent suggestions here. This is an opportunity to help the OP.

It's a fine line.20 tubes of lip balm and half a dozen pairs of slippers aren't really the answer. I've had the best luck with gift cards for music, books or movies. It's even hard to find something like a house cleaner or lawn mower. In fact the best way to facilitate that idea is to give money which doesn't feel right either.

I just gave a good friend with cancer a walker, shower chair and bed tray that I no longer needed. They said that was what they needed and they are using them everyday.

These are all great! And Target 2019, that was the post I remembered but couldn't find. My list of possibilities is growing bigger, which I think will help me make an informed choice. I'm also going to go looking for online support groups for this specific type of cancer to suggest to my niece.
The couple will greatly benefit from any type of support you offer.

A power strip with long cord and USB ports!

Making sure the A/C is checked. Change the filter.

Simple comforts are appreciated.

When DW was in the hospital for an extended period I was amazed how fast we just burned through cash. Parking. Train tickets. Gift shop snacks. Hospital food. Take out because I didn’t have time to cook. Oops we need a set of headphones and an iPhone back up battery. Noise canceling headphones? That makes sense. I will get those. The nurses lost all of your chapsticks and hand lotion again? And again? And your sweatshirt?

If it even looks like it might make him happy for 10 minutes, she’s going to go buy it right then and there.

Not knowing their financial circumstances, a $250 visa gift card might be super useful. Along with a card and the collected works of Calvin and Hobbes, it might make a very nice and useful package.

Best of luck to them. Tragic.

Tums. Go to Walmart and get large containers of every flavor. After Chemo, Tums or mints are essential.

Money. All kinds of stuff will come up like the shower chair whatever that you haven't even thought of yet.

This is always a tough one and my thoughts go out to the OP and her family. A few years ago my brother in law went through this and we decided that the best thing we could do was spend time and talk more with them.

My sister is currently going through chemo now for stomach cancer and again I find that she seems to appreciate very regular calls (video) and daily texts. Her daughter (my niece) lives very close by and also works at a college right next door to the hospital. I’ve asked what I can do to help or if there is anything she needs and let them know that I’m available to help including transport as I only live 35 miles away.

Again, so many great ideas. Thanks to all who took the time to comment. I decided to purchase a few of the items listed here, send a list of suggestions for a chemo day bag as mentioned, and give them $$$ to buy those things they think would be useful or use the monies in any way that would make their life a little easier.

Sorry to hear about your sister, Alan. I wish her the very best!

When I was going through chemo I bought my wife and I a couple of e-bikes. All the adventure of riding a bike with little to none of the work. It got me outside and in the fresh air.
I also got into gardening. Grew my own veggies and such.

Comfortable pajamas or other casual clothes are good gifts.
Reading didn't work out well; I had 'chemo-brain' which is like short term memory loss. I'd read the same pages over and over and over, not getting anywhere...

Back
Top Bottom