Fun Facts

Does it allow for more than one choice (David Bowie had the rare condition of different colors in each eye)?

AFAIK, he did not hold a Texas DL.

-ERD50

The 4 page SS form to apply for the $255 death benefit for people who have been collecting SS includes, but is not limited to:

(Data you must provide)

Deceased certified birth certificate
Original marriage licence (if married)
Proof that the deceased was collecting SS (now that's crazy)
Death certificate
Other documents may be required, like if you had more than one marriage and some foreign stuff.

Fill in the blanks (4 pages):

All data on current marriage (spouse, kids, ss numbers, addresses, name change reasons, etc)

If previously married, where, when, copy of license, all data on Ex-spouse, divorce decree data, etc.

Info on death of ex-spouse(s), children, etc. (when died, where, age, blah, blah....

I was on the phone with SS for an hour trying to fill all this out and finally threw in the towel. Told them to keep their $255.

One thing that was not asked about any person I had to list data on was eye color. I guess the FEDs don't care about that.

All original documents sent to SS will be returned to you........:rolleyes:

The application form for a Texas drivers license includes "maroon" and "pink" as choices for eye colors.

Persons born as albino have one of these eye colors, similar to white rabbits. My guess is that is why those choices are there.

Persons born as albino have one of these eye colors, similar to white rabbits. My guess is that is why those choices are there.

Likely the reason for the choices, although it is apparently not accurate:

A common myth is that people with albinism have red eyes. Although lighting conditions can allow the blood vessels at the back of the eye to be seen, which can cause the eyes to look reddish or violet, most people with albinism have blue eyes, and some have hazel or brown eyes.

One of my first bosses had one blue and one brown eye. It was very hard not to focus on them when talking to him.

"A common myth is that people with albinism have red eyes. Although lighting conditions can allow the blood vessels at the back of the eye to be seen, which can cause the eyes to look reddish or violet, most people with albinism have blue eyes, and some have hazel or brown eyes."

Interesting! Yet another fun fact. I cared for several kids with albinism when I was working clinically, and their eyes certainly looked either light or dark red.

Well, Johnny and Edgar Winter were albinos, and from Texas - maybe they were the catalyst for those additions (probably not, just musing on the idea)?

-ERD50

The 4 page SS form to apply for the $255 death benefit for people who have been collecting SS includes, but is not limited to:

(Data you must provide)

Deceased certified birth certificate
Original marriage licence (if married)
Proof that the deceased was collecting SS (now that's crazy)
Death certificate
Other documents may be required, like if you had more than one marriage and some foreign stuff.

Fill in the blanks (4 pages):

All data on current marriage (spouse, kids, ss numbers, addresses, name change reasons, etc)

If previously married, where, when, copy of license, all data on Ex-spouse, divorce decree data, etc.

Info on death of ex-spouse(s), children, etc. (when died, where, age, blah, blah....

I was on the phone with SS for an hour trying to fill all this out and finally threw in the towel. Told them to keep their $255.

One thing that was not asked about any person I had to list data on was eye color. I guess the FEDs don't care about that.

All original documents sent to SS will be returned to you........:rolleyes:

Interesting, I thought the $255 was automatically paid out, perhaps in a netting of too much SS benefits paid out.

Interesting, I thought the $255 was automatically paid out, perhaps in a netting of too much SS benefits paid out.

No it's not! Haha....they scheduled a call with me at a specific time and date. They called 45 minutes late :facepalm:. I got an email with the form attached. Real PIA.

Late wife was in senior mgmnt @ SS. GS15. She could not not collect SS. Thus I never got a chance to refuse their $255.-. I would not have had the patience to wade through that mess.

Late wife was in senior mgmnt @ SS. GS15. She could not not collect SS. Thus I never got a chance to refuse their $255.-. I would not have had the patience to wade through that mess.

The conversation wore me down. I recall saying I can't get many of the documents they need. Then I said I am done with the call and that was it.

I know this is not a "fun fact" but if you have a chance to look at the 4 page form, you will have a laugh. I think it's SS-8.

That was my experience in 2016. I filed for Survivor benefits shortly thereafter and the death benefit was paid into my account a month or two later without my having to do anything. No idea why they'd need a death certificate- all deaths must be reported by the mortuary to SS so they know when to stop payments.

That was my experience in 2016. I filed for Survivor benefits shortly thereafter and the death benefit was paid into my account a month or two later without my having to do anything. No idea why they'd need a death certificate- all deaths must be reported by the mortuary to SS so they know when to stop payments.

I wonder if it's possible that in 6 years SS changed their policies? I did not dream up what I went through yesterday.

Yes, but wife's Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) got WONDERFUL Pensions... say 80% of your high three.... I have a sugar momma ;-)

Back
Top Bottom