ID For Seniors Who No Longer Drive

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My mother turned 90 this past July. She last drove sometime in late 2019 or early 2020.
Her drivers license expired in July 2021

Approximately 3 weeks ago, we filled out an application to change her quarterly annuity payments from getting a check in the mail, to having it directly deposited in her checking account. The application stated that a copy of a blank voided check would be sufficient to set it up.

I took care of all that & dropped it off at Edward Jones. Early last week, her advisor called & said the annuity administrator said they require some type of medallion signature guarantee, and/or a state issued ID which includes her signature.

Right now, we're leaning towards continuing to receive the quarterly checks via snail mail, but this issue got me thinking. Even though it's challenging for her to get around now (she requires a walker) should we go ahead & get a new state issued ID ?

Are there other instances that haven't come up yet, where a state issued ID will be required ?

Thanks in advance.

Does your mother still vote?

If so, in some states (not all) she may need an ID.

Does your mother still vote?

If so, in some states (not all) she may need an ID.
Good question. I meant to cover that in the original post but forgot.

She still votes, but does so through the mail. If that wasn't possible, she could still vote in person because she's already registered & our state doesn't require voter ID.

Last edited:
I would definitely opt for the state issued ID. It has other purposes. Voting (as mentioned by Calico) is one. In our case we wanted DMIL to get a Handicap Placard for when the daughters take her places. Without a DL or state ID there were many hurdles to jump. With the ID, I just took the form to the DMV and they gave me the placard.

I am sure there are many more reasons to have it.

+1 about the state id.

Good question. I meant to cover that in the original post but forgot.

She still votes, but does so through the mail. If that wasn't possible, she could still vote in person because she's already registered & our state doesn't require voter ID.

Excellent! You can cross one thing off the list of reasons for an ID. :)

When I file my mum’s taxes with TurbiTax an ID is required, so I use her state ID.

My mother had a great friend who was a doctor. She had convinced him that she never intended to drive again, so he gave her the paperwork to renew her DL every time it expired. She could only see well enough to walk across the room, so it was obvious there was no way she could get it renewed normally. She did honestly have no intention of driving, but having the license meant a lot to her so she kept renewing it.

When she had to move to another state in her late 80s, that option was no longer available and she was devastated at the thought of not having that photo ID. But when I showed her that the state ID looked essentially just like a DL, it eased her mind and she happily used it for the rest of her life.

MIL has an Illinois state ID, and does not drive. She has to use it at the bank, and at all doctor appts.

When I file my mum’s taxes with TurbiTax an ID is required, so I use her state ID.

Interesting point. She's had her taxes prepared at a local H&R Block for the past 4 years, & even though her drivers license expired July 2021, there hasn't been an issue. Maybe she's 'grandfathered in' since her drivers license was valid on her 2019 & 2020 returns ?

It annoys me a bit that an expired DL is no longer valid as ID. The expiry should only be of concern to the DMV and my legal ability to drive. It doesn't fail to identify me. The photo and info are still me.

Things like address can change, sure, but for the purposes of making sure the person in front of you is the person doing the thing, an expired DL should work just fine.

But yes, a state ID should work just the same.

It annoys me a bit that an expired DL is no longer valid as ID. The expiry should only be of concern to the DMV and my legal ability to drive. It doesn't fail to identify me. The photo and info are still me.

Things like address can change, sure, but for the purposes of making sure the person in front of you is the person doing the thing, an expired DL should work just fine.

But yes, a state ID should work just the same.

I get your point, and agree, to a degree. But, how long should it be valid? 1 year? 5 years? 25 years? One can change a lot in appearance over the years.

FWIW, I checked the MO requirements. Up to 69, State ID's must be renewed every 6 years (same as a DL). After 70, a non-expiring ID can be obtained. On the flip side, over age 70 the DL expires every 3 years. Vision and sign recognition tests required.

Those all seem reasonable to me.

Couldn't agree more.
Other things about this particular situation that seem a little strange.
She's been receiving checks from this annuity for many years.
Even though she lives approximately 1 mile out of town, both her & the bank share the same town in their address.

Another is, with companies looking to cut costs everywhere, seems like they would jump at the chance to not have to print a physical check & mail it out 4 times a year, & therefore make it as easy as possible to make the switch.

Maybe it's some type of government requirement ?

FWIW: She still has the drivers license that expired in 2021. I made a copy and I'll be taking it to the Edward Jones office tomorrow. I suppose there's a chance the annuity administrator would accept it.

Last edited:
I checked the MO requirements. Up to 69, State ID's must be renewed every 6 years (same as a DL). After 70, a non-expiring ID can be obtained

Pretty much the same as our state (MN) although you only have to be 65 to get a non-expiring ID.

I just helped my mom get an ID card back in June 2023. She hasn't driven since 2017 and her license expired a couple years ago. We hadn't had any issues using her expired license as ID, but she gets asked for ID at every doctor visit so I figured it would be smart to get a new ID card with a current address.

Here in Washington state it cost about $75 for an ID card that lasts eight years. They have a cheaper option for a shorter time frame, but I figured pay a bit more and be done with it for good. It's unlikely she will outlive the ID card, but who knows.

They also have a "Real ID" version of the ID card (at a higher cost), but she never travels so there was no need for that option.

My wife took her mom to get a new ID card in July also.

We made both appointments online and probably spent less than 15 minutes at DMV each time.

We hadn't had any issues using her expired license as ID, but she gets asked for ID at every doctor visit so I figured it would be smart to get a new ID card with a current address.

We made both appointments online and probably spent less than 15 minutes at DMV each time.

I plan on taking a copy of her expired license to the office in question tomorrow. Hopefully they'll accept that.

Pretty sure you're the 2nd person that stated doctors ask for ID on every visit.
My mother only has to give her date of birth. Unfortunately, if we decide to get a new ID, appointments aren't available.

Even though it's not obvious, that screen in TTax is optional for e-filing Fed tax returns. It's not required for CA returns either, though I suppose some other states may require ID.

Interesting point. She's had her taxes prepared at a local H&R Block for the past 4 years, & even though her drivers license expired July 2021, there hasn't been an issue. Maybe she's 'grandfathered in' since her drivers license was valid on her 2019 & 2020 returns ?

A preparer is supposed to verify photo ID before filing a Fed return unless the taxpayer is known to them. So either the HRB people remember her or they accept the expired license as valid ID or they just aren't too worried that a 90 yr old is committing identity theft so they ignore the requirement.

Reactions: W2R
When dad was still alive, I took him to get the Ohio ID card when his driver's license expired. I believe by that time he was in the memory care unit. It gave him a sense of pride that he still had something important in his wallet. It did come in handy for any transaction that he wanted to do at the bank or at a medical office.

When I was in the financial services business there was a very serious effort to properly verify the client. This was to crack down on any fraud, money laundering and potential terrorist activity. A fraudulent driver's license is fairly easy to create with expired information. A time or two dealt with people who refused to provide current, valid identification. They were politely told to take their business elsewhere.

My mother turned 90 this past July. She last drove sometime in late 2019 or early 2020.
Her drivers license expired in July 2021

Approximately 3 weeks ago, we filled out an application to change her quarterly annuity payments from getting a check in the mail, to having it directly deposited in her checking account. The application stated that a copy of a blank voided check would be sufficient to set it up.

I took care of all that & dropped it off at Edward Jones. Early last week, her advisor called & said the annuity administrator said they require some type of medallion signature guarantee, and/or a state issued ID which includes her signature.

Right now, we're leaning towards continuing to receive the quarterly checks via snail mail, but this issue got me thinking. Even though it's challenging for her to get around now (she requires a walker) should we go ahead & get a new state issued ID ?

Are there other instances that haven't come up yet, where a state issued ID will be required ?

Thanks in advance.
Normally a passport if not more than 10 years expired, also serves as adequate ID.

Hopefully the state ID never expires.

I learned that in Texas if an older or disabled person cannot easily get to the DPS drivers license office for a state ID they will make an appointment and make a house call! But the IDs do not last forever. They should.

Another vote for a passport and a passport wallet card, the size of a driver’s license. 10 years until renewal.

I learned that in Texas if an older or disabled person cannot easily get to the DPS drivers license office for a state ID they will make an appointment and make a house call! But the IDs do not last forever. They should.

Another vote for a passport and a passport wallet card, the size of a driver’s license. 10 years until renewal.

Texas State IDs expire every 6 years!!! :mad:

State ID is the answer (which you've already read).

Now my anecdote. FIL had a license - though he didn't drive after suffering what we thing was a stroke during a hip surgery. He suffered aphasia and not only lost mobility, but lost communication, and probably some cognitive ability. No one thought about his needing ID till a year or so after he and MIL moved to another state to be closer to SIL for better support. We built a granny flat for them and needed to fly him to San Diego... he had no valid id. This was post 9/11. Fortunately DH (who'd flown out to fly back with FIL) was able to find a VA benefits card (picture/government), his SS card, and his medicare card - and talked his way through TSA with his clearly disabled father. We made getting a state ID a priority when he returned home. (They were only spending 6 months/year here, the other 6 months near SIL.)

You absolutely need a state ID if you don't have a DL. DH got lucky they were able to talk their way through TSA with the VA card, medicare card, expired DL, and SS card.

The prevailing theory says get an ID for her. That's what we'll do.
I emailed the local license office Friday and was surprised to get a reply yesterday.

The only bad news is that she has to come in person & appointments aren't an option.

The good news is that since her license has been expired less than 5 years, she won't have to bring along any additional documentation, the charge will only be around $20, & since she's past age 65, it has no expiration.

Thanks to all those who provided input.

Not for voting where I'm at

Normally a passport if not more than 10 years expired, also serves as adequate ID.

Hopefully the state ID never expires.

Prefacing, in that I've been an election pollworker and that the states laws did change to now allow passport:

Voter ID law, recently put into effect, requires either state issued photo ID, military ID (but not federal worker ID nor non-military uniformed service --- all of which are the same LincPass).... or a NON-expired passport. If any ID is expired it is NOT acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom