Garden produce nothing better

My flowers were gorgeous this year, my vegetables- not so much. It rained every day for two months. Tomatoes were ruined, and everything else did poorly as well. It wasn't just mine though. Nearly all the home gardens around here did badly with all the rain.

In frustration, I jerked everything out of the ground, added lime, fertilizer, manure, compost, ashes, and tilled it all in. Then I covered it with clear plastic and will let it bake for a month to kill the weeds. Will try this again in the fall..

What a fun thread!

I went blackberry crazy and picked my property clean. Made a lot of jam and cobbler.

Attachments

• B3BDD59C-0B74-47B9-BD12-07B35F426C6B.jpg
    B3BDD59C-0B74-47B9-BD12-07B35F426C6B.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
We planted a garden, lots of tomatoes as I love them, and squash, yellow bean, potatoes.
Unfortunately a ground hog, is attacking the garden , he loves tomato tasting (annoying he doesn't eat the whole thing, just takes some bites of a few).
His favorite is the squash, he is eating the entire squash.

I put up a fence, it stopped for a couple of days, then he is back. He goes under the fence.
I've chased him out [-]TWICE[/-] <edit after post> THREE times today !!

We had 5 large cherry tomatoes and they were good... I picked 6 more today, it's a race against the groundhog.

I'm sooooo glad I planted a garden, we have enjoyed and shared a LOT of tomatoes and other stuff.

I poured Ammonia around the garden and that really cut down on the groundhog going to the garden.

I had to delay my plan to trap him, as I couldn't physically do it.
As the tomatoes really came in, the groundhog stopped going to the garden. I thought maybe he didn't like red tomatoes :confused:
We noticed he loved the apples from a tree, so we would leave him a pile away from the garden and he would eat around 8 each day.

We hadn't noticed him for a few days, now, and it's been very warm, lots of apples around, etc. I plugged his holes with dirt leaving only a tiny gap. He didn't use it in 2 days, so I filled the holes.
I think he moved :dance:

We are keeping a watch in case he returns, maybe a coyote got him. :popcorn:

My flowers were gorgeous this year, my vegetables- not so much. It rained every day for two months. Tomatoes were ruined, and everything else did poorly as well. It wasn't just mine though. Nearly all the home gardens around here did badly with all the rain.

In frustration, I jerked everything out of the ground, added lime, fertilizer, manure, compost, ashes, and tilled it all in. Then I covered it with clear plastic and will let it bake for a month to kill the weeds. Will try this again in the fall..

I have found cardboard really great for killing the weeds/grass.

We had a great garden this year. So dry and hot but things did well. I have to go out and pick tomatoes today. I probably have 4 dozen of ready to eat tomatoes. Lol I will pick some larger green ones and let them ripen. The freezing nights are going to be a regular event starting tonight.

Have one potato plant to dig up and a few beets to harvest also.

We're starting to wind down the main garden. First frost will be in about 3 weeks. We still have growing a variety of peppers, okra, sweet potatoes, carrots, kale, chard, eggplants and winter squash. I'll harvest everything that's left and pull up the plants in about two weeks, then bring all my equipment home, till the beds and plant the garlic for next year.

Our saffron crocuses and some fall lettuce are just coming up now at our home garden.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom