Gas prices are going up fast

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I went and put some gas in and went up 35¢ from just a few days ago. Wow!!

I go a lot and, in this rural area, to get anywhere you have to drive. I told my wife I don't know if I will be going as much for a while with the price of gas. She said don't worry about the price go when you want to go don't stay home just to save those few extra dollars. Lol

I most likely will not be too concerned about paying more but that frugalness tells me otherwise. Lol

Anyone else going to stop going or not go as much with high fuel prices?

I didn't see another thread on this if there please delete the thread, thanks.

We drive so little now, even with the pickup truck, that gas prices are pretty much a "meh". I suppose if it hit $20+ a gallon we'd start thinking more about consolidating trips and such. I'll go a month or more without filling the pickup and DW will go a couple/three weeks between filling up with the Honda.

I do feel bad for the folks that have long commutes and no alternatives.

Last edited:
I went and put some gas in and went up 35¢ from just a few days ago. Wow!!

I didn't see another thread on this if there please delete the thread, thanks.

IMHO. Stop buying Russian oil!!! If prices go up, I am willing to pay for it. There are other things we can do to increase the supply and reduce the price, but I won't poke Porky any more than this.

One thing many people do not consider is parking their vehicle a few miles short of their destination and bike, bus or walk the rest of the way. Can't be done everytime but perhaps enough times to get the financial and health benefits..

I filled up my car, then 2 hours later filled up DW's car at the same station, and the per-gallon price had gone up 16 cents. 2 days later, I saw it went up another 25 cents or so. DW now wants us to cut back on driving, I doubt we will.

Higher gas prices are making home delivery more attractive. We've done some Instacart in the past and may do more of that. We used the free delivery service from Bed, Bath and Beyond a couple of times recently. That seemed cheaper than driving even with adding in a nice tip.

Most of our regular errands our within 5 miles of our house so most of our gas spending has been for entertainment, like going to parks and concerts in other cities. However, we live near a commuter train station and are getting old enough for senior passes. The cost of gas going up and the train fares going down for us is making events near the train stations looking a lot cheaper these days than having to drive to events. We'll probably start going out as much as we used to with the pandemic winding down, but just do more that is closer to home or along the train lines.

We have thought about getting an electric car and solar panels. So far the ROI hasn't been there yet but with energy prices going up maybe that will change.

Last edited:
Even if you don't use much gas, these higher gas prices feed into more inflation for so many other things, which is already soaring.

I like my subcompact car a bit more now. Not a hybrid, but will do :popcorn:.

When oil prices go up say $8 a barrel, the retailers are going to raise prices immediately, because "replacement cost". And when they fall, they keep prices high. Need to "recover costs".

Moral of the story? Own O&G.

The price of gasoline has fluctuated a lot over the last twenty years.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-03-05 18-23-33.png
    Screenshot from 2022-03-05 18-23-33.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 114
^ National news just had on the news that fuel has went the fastest and higher than any time in history.

Interviewed some that commute for work, they said they had to stop working couldn't afford the gas and will use that savings for food.

I don't mind paying for fuel but there needs to be some consistency to the price somehow some way. If it could stay in the 70 to 90 bucks a barrel thing would be good for producer and the general public.

I think it will cost a lot more to drive home from Palm Springs to Portland then it did to get down here. We walk and ride bikes a lot while here though.

^ National news just had on the news that fuel has went the fastest and higher than any time in history.

Interviewed some that commute for work, they said they had to stop working couldn't afford the gas and will use that savings for food.

I don't mind paying for fuel but there needs to be some consistency to the price somehow some way. If it could stay in the 70 to 90 bucks a barrel thing would be good for producer and the general public.

Street, we are all in it together. Besides, you just blew a big wad on buying 1/2 of Montana (that's the rumor floating round) LOL!

I suppose you could trade in your truck(s) and get an electric one, like the new Rivian or one of those Ford F150's with the "powerpack" in case you lose power at the ranch. Either one would cost you a cool $100 K+. Think of the gas savings! :D

I turned off "sporty mode" on my car a week or so ago.

Gas prices have increased about 20 or 30 cents per gallon around here in the past week or so.

We switched to a Toyota Camry Hybrid 4 years ago that got 49.5 mpg. And a year ago, we traded it for a Venza Hybrid AWD that gets 42.5 mpg.

I can pretty much thumb my nose at the present cost of fuel.

But my 24' boat is another issue from May to October.

On the other hand, through the Pandemic, we've pretty much stayed at home and done no domestic travel (other than going to doctors.)

This may not be the best plan. :LOL: I guess if the news network looks around long enough they can find someone to give them a quote that fits their narrative.

I divided my miles driven by my miles per gallon and figure I bought about 700 gallons of gas last year. Gas was about $3 so if it goes to $4, which it is pretty much there now, that will cost me about $700 per year. Not good, but not enough to change my driving habits. At $5 that will be $1400. Still not good, but I can handle it. My concern is, as was mentioned, how that will inflate everything else. So, while I’m not in panic mode, this year I will be more focused (tighter) on the budget than any year so far. Overall inflation combined with a down market at this early stage of my retirement is concerning. Very concerning.

This may not be the best plan. :LOL: I guess if the news network looks around long enough they can find someone to give them a quote that fits their narrative.

I was just discussing this with DW. While I agree that quitting one’s job may not be a great plan, I bet there will be significant pressure on employers to keep letting people work remotely.

Even if you don't use much gas, these higher gas prices feed into more inflation for so many other things, which is already soaring.
Exactly. I'm far more concerned with this than I am about the price I personally pay at the pump. Higher fuel prices impact the cost of nearly everything. Our landscaper just sent out a notice that prices are going up this season due to higher costs for materials - gas just being one of them. Airfare is shooting up due to the rising cost of fuel. Virtually everything gets shipped to stores by boat, train, plane, and truck, all of which depend on fuel to get around.

Street, we are all in it together. Besides, you just blew a big wad on buying 1/2 of Montana (that's the rumor floating round) LOL!

I suppose you could trade in your truck(s) and get an electric one, like the new Rivian or one of those Ford F150's with the "powerpack" in case you lose power at the ranch. Either one would cost you a cool $100 K+. Think of the gas savings! :D
Lol!!!
I'm good with buying gas and my running around and back and forth won't stop. Headed to the ranch in the morning going to get some tree stumps burning and then go across the river to some other land my son owns. There is a bunch of diamond willows on the river and I need some for a project. I will burn close to a tank tomorrow.

I'm not to up on buying an electric outfit for ranching and where I go for my outdoor hunting and hiking.

Exactly. I'm far more concerned with this than I am about the price I personally pay at the pump. Higher fuel prices impact the cost of nearly everything. Our landscaper just sent out a notice that prices are going up this season due to higher costs for materials - gas just being one of them. Airfare is shooting up due to the rising cost of fuel. Virtually everything gets shipped to stores by boat, train, plane, and truck, all of which depend on fuel to get around.
I agree, it is the over all effects it has on everything we have to have to live.

https://www.aogr.com/web-exclusives/exclusive-story/u.s.-holds-most-recoverable-oil-reserves

"The United States now holds the world’s largest recoverable oil reserve base–more than Saudi Arabia or Russia–thanks to the development of unconventional resource plays.

Ranking nations by the most likely estimate for existing fields, discoveries and as-of-yet undiscovered fields (proved, probable. possible and undiscovered), the United States is at the top of the list with 264 billion barrels of recoverable oil reserves, followed by Russia with 256 billion, Saudi Arabia with 212 billion, Canada with 167 billion, Iran with 143 billion, and Brazil with 120 billion (Table 1)."

Let's pump/recover/use our own oil as we transition to renewables (however long that takes).

Back
Top Bottom