Gas operated hand pump

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Gas Operated Hand pPump

A couple days ago I finally tried a trial run on the gas operated pump jack. I installed a deep well system on a shallow well. A lot of tweaking and parts to build etc. to get where I am today. Looks like it will work with still need some adjustments.

I used a piece of mule tape for a V-Belt, and it still performed enough for me to see it will work. I did go buy a V-Belt and things will work much better for finally installation. This was a learning experience with digging well by hand with a homemade 2-inch auger to get within 3 feet of water. I than drove the suction point down into the water aquifer. I for some reason can't rotate video and I don't know why. If someone can please feel free to do so. From his hand operated to a gas engine install.

Video to watch.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z62GRN4qLM_75Q0ntiGbl1K0h_16FXH-/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Would that be the one you were fixing up ?

I could have used one of those as a child, instead I got to develop character :LOL:
Yes.
The old fashion way was sure a character builder for us old timers. Lol

I remember carrying many buckets of water for my grandmother. No running water where she lived but a neighbor had a well and she got water from them. Hard times is a great character builder.

Last edited:
that's really cool. are you going to water some crops with that too?

Most for trees and will use it for some vine plants that I'm going to plant in the old correl. I can irrigate the hay fields from an irrigation system from a ditch that run through my place if I wanted to irrigate. I let another rancher that care of hay and all that.

It mostly was just a project so I would have water there. I could keep a horse there or have a few beef cattle there from spring to fall.

I would never use it for drinking but someday I will get it tested. Plants do very well on it I tried that out last year, so PH is in the good range for that. Also, minnows lived in the same water all summer.

Last edited:
Most for trees and will use it for some vine plants that I'm going to plant in the old correl. I can irrigate the hay fields from an irrigation system from a ditch that run through my place if I wanted to irrigate. I let another rancher that care of hay and all that.

It mostly was just a project so I would have water there. I could keep a horse there or have a few beef cattle there from spring to fall.

I would never use it for drinking but someday I will get it tested. Plants do very well on it I tried that out last year, so PH is in the good range for that. Also, minnows lived in the same water all summer.

Do you have a good aquifer to feed the powered pump? I've heard some areas are now finding it difficult to irrigate crops because the water tables have fallen precipitously.

Thanks for sharing your project and especially showing the old pump. It brings back memories of many of my relatives' daily lives back when I was knee-high.

Koolau, I must be in a pretty good aquifer. When I picked the spot to try, I just picked the spot because it suited me not knowing if I would hit water or not but was going to try. I never talked to any others if they have had any experience with water depth or quantity etc. Good Lucky I guess.

The one thing that I do have going for me is that I'm only a quarter mile from the Yellowstone River. There is also about 700 acres in this small valley that is flood and sprinkler irrigated land so that will help me replenish the water table I would assume.

Been a fun learning experience with a lot of good exercise and outdoor activity for me.

street, what engine did you use in the set up? It looks like a modern engine not the old washing machine engine you worked on last year.

Street, that is one slick setup. Congrats.

Totally impressive!!!

street, what engine did you use in the set up? It looks like a modern engine not the old washing machine engine you worked on last year.

No, it isn't that antique washing machine motor. It is an old snow blower motor and is about 37 years old. The snow blower gear box broke last year the engine was still very good and never used oil so I kept the engine. It is a 4 horse engine.

Thanks everyone it was a great learning processes and had fun along the way.

No, it isn't that antique washing machine motor. It is an old snow blower motor and is about 37 years old. The snow blower gear box broke last year the engine was still very good and never used oil so I kept the engine. It is a 4 horse engine.

Thanks everyone it was a great learning processes and had fun along the way.

It's so much better to "w*rk" for ourselves than for someone else. You probably don't even think of the project as "w*rk" but pleasure. What a great story!

It's so much better to "w*rk" for ourselves than for someone else. You probably don't even think of the project as "w*rk" but pleasure. What a great story!

That is so true Koolau. Thanks Sir!!

That snow blower engine has found a new purpose, well done. What about the antique engine, do you have a project for it?

That snow blower engine has found a new purpose, well done. What about the antique engine, do you have a project for it?

I don't have any plans for using it. Kind of putting it out to pasture and not interested in selling it either. Lol

They bring pretty good money and the way it sounds they are hard to find in running order. Parts are hard to find, and I got very lucky to find a few parts from a guy in MI.

I guess you will be filling a storage tank then using a garden hose or similar tubing to distribute to the trees or garden.

Re the snow blower engine: They don't come with air filters on them because blowing snow clogs the air filter and what little snow gets into the engine just vaporizes anyway. And snow covers all the dust. So when they are repurposed for something else it will need an air filter at least if you want it to last for a while. And that looks like it might be a dusty environment.

Way cool project and result!

Back
Top Bottom