Genealogy and other stuff

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I was doing some genealogy research and ran across some scary stuff.

Suicides, alcoholism/liver failure, septicemia from bed sores from immobility from arthritis, staghorn kidney stones from immobility from stroke from (possibly) undiagnosed diabetes.

I'm sure there's some of all that in everyone's family history if you go back far enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It is true that some medical conditions are inherited. However, many are lifestyle/diet/etc driven that you can control, and medical capabilities have never been higher. You're better off than your ancestors and can't change your genetics, so just let it go.

Khan, are you saying you were able to discover that in your own family tree? DW has been working on our family tree and it seems difficult to just get names and birth/death dates past a certain point, let alone medical history.

Found death certificates, and combined that with what Mother told me.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Khan, are you saying you were able to discover that in your own family tree? DW has been working on our family tree and it seems difficult to just get names and birth/death dates past a certain point, let alone medical history.
Getting medical history in the 1800's is very difficult unless one of your ancestors was in the civil war and lived until the late 1920's or 1930's. If one can receive the civil war pension papers then the health background of an ancestor can be looked into a bit.

I'm sure there's some of all that in everyone's family history if you go back far enough.

+1

Strokes and arthritis are very common among the elderly. Alcoholism and suicide are all too frequent.

Some people that I know with alcoholism in their families, choose not to drink alcohol, ever. You might want to join us in this practice.

Back
Top Bottom