Pet insurance reimbursement(hypothyroidism and thyroid cancer)

retire to nature

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi

My dog got hypothyroidism in 2019, and started seizure 2021. And I bought Embrace pet insurance.

My dog got many seizures in Oct 2022, and on the same week, he fell a few times from my bed. He fell at night, I was wondering why he kept falling from bed but I didnt light up or anything, but picked him upto my bed and we went to sleep back because a couple days later, he had an appt to the vet.

His seizure was always grandmal but he started partial seizure before the appt. So the vet added phenobarbital. he started one side weakness. And I found he had been hanging his head at the edge of bed lately. I was concerned head injury and went to see a neurologist. The vet saw my dog when he started seizures, but I didnt do much tests at that time because i didnt see any other symptoms. So this time I did mri and ultrasound.

He had brain tumor, thyroid tumor, and pancreatic cysts. At the treatment consultation, since I was an RN, I kept saying in human healthcare system to decide the radiation therapy, I was told so many times that in veterinary field they dont do that etc.

In Nov, he had radiation therapy for brain and thyroid tumor. the oncology vet said thyroid tumor is not related with hypothyroidism so he said I can claim the insurance. and I did it. But the insurance declined saying he had preexisting of seizure, and it related to brain tumor and the hypothyroidism can relate to thyroid tumor. The vet helped me to appeal saying seizure is related to brain tumor but hypothyroidism is not related to thyroid tumor.

But they declined again all kept saying same thing again preexisting condition. I talked to the adjuster after appeal and I kinda understood as since thyroid tumor was not biopsied they cant exclude as mets possibility. So I talked to the vet and he said in veterinary field, biopsy for brain is none and thyroid tumor is also very rare.

So I thought embrace is asking not possible process to prove the thyroid tumor is related to the brain tumor. Also, my dog's brain tumor was very rare kind. I reported to BBB and below is embrace response.

===(my dog name) continued to have seizures and was eventually diagnosed with a brain tumor of an unknown cellular type (presumed to be meningioma). Claims related to Teddy’s brain tumor were not eligible for coverage due to is pre-existing seizure activity.

An MRI was performed with not only a brain tumor but also a thyroid tumor. Neither of these masses have been definitively diagnosed. Therefore, we are unable to determine if the thyroid tumor is of the same cellular type as the brain tumor. As the clinical signs of the brain tumor (seizures) were present prior to the policy start coverage for the brain tumor (and any related conditions and/or clinical signs) are not eligible for coverage, including but not limited to tumors of the same cellular type. Unless both tumors are definitively diagnosed, we are unable to determine if they are unrelated.

..the vet... on appeal stating that while he understands why the brain tumor would be ineligible for coverage due to Teddy’s pre-existing seizure activity, he would not relate the thyroid tumor to Teddy’s pre-existing hypothyroidism. We explained that the hypothyroidism is not the factor determining why the thyroid tumor is ineligible for coverage, rather the pre-existing undiagnosed brain tumor.

Therefore, unless we receive documentation that the brain tumor is of a different cellular type than the thyroid tumor we cannot determine if the tumors are related or not; leaving both tumors ineligible for coverage.===

So I appealed to BBB, since there is no way brain tumor cellular type would know for dogs since due to high risk, they dont do any biopsy or surgical removal, Embrace is declining illogic way which human healthcare system applied to veterinary field. And I used to work in radiology dept, so I know how to diagnose human cancer. So my case was mri dye take up and he had CT for radiation therapy. and radiologist made a report of both tumors were definitive (but of course no cellular type). So I submitted the report, but they declined it again.

Now i got the second response saying.
=== There is no evidence in ****’s medical records indicating that these tumors are of different cellular types. Upon further extensive research hypothyroidism can be a clinical sign of a thyroid tumor. Therefore, as clinical signs were present for both the brain tumor (seizures) as well as the thyroid tumor (hypothyroidism), coverage is not available under Teddy’s accident and illness policy.===

They are saying the same thing. my question is how the cellular type would know if the vet saying they dont do biopsy in the veterinary field. And I dont see any research saying hypothyroidism is clinical sign of thyorid tumor. but HYPERthyroidism have some relation not hypothyroidism.

I am glad I could afford his treatment without any financial issue and he is still alive. But my gut got some bothered with the illogic.

What do you think? how would you respond to?

wow, sorry you are going through this with your pup.
If they did not accept your vets diagnosis and explanation, it sounds like the pet insurance company made the decision not to pay, no matter what.
You could try one more letter, re-emphasizing what your vet said, ask for secondary review.

Just FYI, I want to leave the note here. The insurance company kept rejecting it by using the human theory. All I could do was making a record in BBB as not satisfied.

I discussed with the vet about the thyroid mass reimbursement. and he thinks it should be reimbursed. This is the email I got from him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for reaching out about ****'s insurance claim, and I'm sorry that they've been denying your claim so far. I definitely agree that the standards that they are expecting are derived from human medicine, and that some of the tests that are considered gold standard in human medicine are not routinely done in veterinary medicine (e.g., brain biopsy). You are absolutely right that we primarily diagnose brain tumors via imaging, and that the imaging characteristics of ****'s brain tumor was most consistent with a meningioma (so unrelated to the thyroid tumor).

It is totally unfair that the insurance company is denying the claim because "we cannot prove that the brain tumor and thyroid tumor are unrelated." It is very rare for brain tumors to spread anywhere, let alone the brain; similarly, it is extremely rare for thyroid tumors to spread to the brain. Also, calling ****'s hypothyroidism a "pre-existing condition" is unfair, since this is not specific to thyroid tumors at ALL and can be seen in a variety of different conditions.

If there is someone from the insurance company I can talk to directly or send another letter to, I'm happy to help.

Thanks,
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for your post, Retire to Nature. Your loved pet's health issues sound complicated. Pet insurance hasn't been around that long. We purchased pet insurance with FIGO. Our puppy's insurance was relatively cheap his first year with them ($300 + small deductible). They were a new company out of Chicago. I think they were bought out recently, but we still have insurance with them. Everything is done online and we had to provide all health documents prior to acceptance. The vet had to be approved.

I will say they paid 90% of a huge bill when he ate some scary agriculture poison out of my neighbor's garage. But that scenario was cut and dried. A healthy puppy eating poison. Plus he was treated at the Univ. of Ill. vet med school. Their notes and observations were pristine.

I'm so sorry your loved one had to go through that. I'm not sure if pets or pet owners have a legal defense like people. It's not malpractice. It's the opinion of the vet vs the insurance liability or what they'll cover.

The information you provided shows you've researched this issue with unbelievable detail. I hope you achieve some kind of resolution. Are you a medical professional? Our planet needs more people like you.

What date did you buy the insurance

I was writing this thread to let others know my case. I have two dogs and actually another dog got seriously sick at the same time, and her case was clear to claim and they have reimburse fairly. So embrace is ok company but like Rianna said pet insurance history is short because veterinary field is short as well.

They are my first dogs so I learned a bit more the limit in veterinary field. And I found the illogic using human theory. Then they have so huge excuse to reject cases. So I wanted to let people know. I was hoping Embrace takes my case as constructive criticism to develop a better plan.

When a breeder decided not to show dogs anymore she sold them but gave me 3 because she liked me and knew I provided a good home. She convinced me to buy healthy paws pet insurance after showing me her bills and reimbursements when they had big expenses. I have had the same good luck with them.

I won the case. Bank deposit over 13k. Yay!! He is also doing fine. Liver enzyme got increased from steroid test, but hopefully, it would decrease.

I won the case. Bank deposit over 13k. Yay!! He is also doing fine. Liver enzyme got increased from steroid test, but hopefully, it would decrease.

Awesome! Even better he's doing fine. Congrats on your patience and perseverance.

Back
Top Bottom