Getting through that last year or so

Thank you Offgrid Organic Farmer. That's a good thing to remember. I'm sorry for her and you.

Well Beer-man, raspberries to you. I know I am blessed, but to be fair, being a government worker also means a lower salary, no incentives, etc. I have been on both sides of the fence as I said. I had 30 years in private sector. I would have appreciated more helpful advice, but if that's all you've got, so be it.

Go volunteer at a soup kitchen or with fatherless teens so you can see how trivial your “first world baby boomer” problems really are. Perspective

Go volunteer at a soup kitchen or with fatherless teens so you can see how trivial your “first world baby boomer” problems really are. Perspective

So just to be fair, you are half the age of most people here. There could be another forum for you to participate in if you don't like issues dealing with retirement.

Wow, what an insensitive reply. I don't think the poster is being trivial. I have seen several similar threads and I'm in this situation myself. If you can't relate, or can't be polite, perhaps you could just not post anything at all on the topic. Wow, that sounded like something my mother used to say....

I don't know what forums you are used to participating in, but one of the hallmarks of this forum is that members and posters respect each other and don't denigrate each other. Your post reflects a complete lack of respect and a large dose of rudeness.

My advice is to use negative visualization to get through it.

Here is an example.

Close your eyes. Now.....Imagine you just found out you only have 3 months to live. Let it sink in. Imagine it very strongly. Who would you call? What would you do? How would you feel?

Now open your eyes......

......and count your blessings.

This exercise always helps me keep things in perspective!

If other people’s challenges seem trivial to you, instead of snark you could show some empathy and share a positive example of how to surpass them.

My advice stands as is, it’s unfortunate so many took offense to it...and reinforces the underlying theme that I was trying to convey.

My advice stands as is, it’s unfortunate so many took offense to it...and reinforces the underlying theme that I was trying to convey.
It’s possible the reaction was not about your message but the way you expressed it. Many of us have experienced the challenges the OP is facing, and even if we don’t have advice to share we can show some understanding, and camaraderie.

Not really. You don't know what anyone here has done in their lives. Be it volunteering or being homeless! I'll shut up now.

Soup Kitchen?

You are assuming a lot. How do you know I don't?

Perspective

If other people’s challenges seem trivial to you, instead of snark you could show some empathy and share a positive example of how to surpass them.

Yes, I know my blessings, particularly around the free retirement medical, but some days are just hard. Other's gave me positive advice and helped me re-gain perspective and sense of humor, which was what I needed.

I'm not sure if Beer-man is much younger, but there are some things that time will cure.

Counting your blessings!

My advice is to use negative visualization to get through it.

Here is an example.

Close your eyes. Now.....Imagine you just found out you only have 3 months to live. Let it sink in. Imagine it very strongly. Who would you call? What would you do? How would you feel?

Now open your eyes......

......and count your blessings.

This exercise always helps me keep things in perspective!

Much appreciated. Was having a tough day, and perspective and support is what I needed!

Yes, I know my blessings, particularly around the free retirement medical, but some days are just hard. Other's gave me positive advice and helped me re-gain perspective and sense of humor, which was what I needed.

I'm not sure if Beer-man is much younger, but there are some things that time will cure.

Glad to see you found the quote button. :)

Many members here have been in your shoes and faced similar challenges. Let’s skip the negativity, I’m sure others here can share what worked for them.

Quote button & Positive ideas

Glad to see you found the quote button. :)

Many members here have been in your shoes and faced similar challenges. Let’s skip the negativity, I’m sure others here can share what worked for them.

Yes, someone was kind enough to PM me about the Quote button LOL. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see who I was responding to.

OP--
I, too, was a government worker and had to work to a certain age to get benefits. Yes, I feel blessed, but also knew I had worked years at a lower salary, etc. to get the pension and medical retiree benefits. So be it, was my choice and I earned those benefits! You have also.

I started my countdown on my phone at 1000 days!:LOL: I stayed committed to the job, but tried very hard to ignore the politics. I slowed down on the overtime and doing extra work so I could go home on time. I made sure I took my breaks and lunch away from my desk, rather than "working through" them. I definitely utilized all of my vacation days each year to refresh myself.
Hang in there--your day will come!:greetings10:

I also had a major case of senior-itis the year or two before I retired. There are some old threads that I'm listing below that helped me. Also join your Class of 20XX thread as it is nice to have others in the same boat to commisserate with. OMY (One More Year) threads are helpful too. Congrats on your benefits and I agree that you have earned these benefits with your public service.

How do you make the (work) days go by faster?
Life just before FIRE
How do you train yourself do endure your last few years before retirement
Best Time of Year to Pull the Plug
Final Prep for RE

These are older threads and there may be a few more recent ones that are relevant.

I also had a major case of senior-itis the year or two before I retired. There are some old threads that I'm listing below that helped me. Also join your Class of 20XX thread as it is nice to have others in the same boat to commisserate with. OMY (One More Year) threads are helpful too. Congrats on your benefits and I agree that you have earned these benefits with your public service.

How do you make the (work) days go by faster?
Life just before FIRE
How do you train yourself do endure your last few years before retirement
Best Time of Year to Pull the Plug
Final Prep for RE

These are older threads and there may be a few more recent ones that are relevant.

Thanks, I will definitely look into those threads.

OP--
I, too, was a government worker and had to work to a certain age to get benefits. Yes, I feel blessed, but also knew I had worked years at a lower salary, etc. to get the pension and medical retiree benefits. So be it, was my choice and I earned those benefits! You have also.

I started my countdown on my phone at 1000 days!:LOL: I stayed committed to the job, but tried very hard to ignore the politics. I slowed down on the overtime and doing extra work so I could go home on time. I made sure I took my breaks and lunch away from my desk, rather than "working through" them. I definitely utilized all of my vacation days each year to refresh myself.
Hang in there--your day will come!:greetings10:

Well, to be honest, I'm at exactly 585 days because I've had my countdown app going for a couple of years.

I have about 500 days to go. Not retiring super early, but at age 62. I'm grateful, but am finding it increasingly hard to slog through at work. I've been in public sector the last 8 1/2 years, which is a pretty good place to end a career given the pension and medical benefits, but spent 30 plus years in private sector. Now there seems to be the chance of a major re-org where I work, and I'm just not up for re-org number 1000 of my career. Unfortunately I do need to get to 10 years to get retirement medical benefits, which are critical as I have several pre-existing conditions. I think all will be OK job wise with the re-org given that things tend to move more slowly in government.

Feel like I sound a bit whiny here, but I have a feeling others have been where I am. I don't want to "retire in place" if you know what I mean, and given my responsibilities, I couldn't.

Advice from those who came before? How did you stay motivated during those last months? I'm not quite close enough to see light at the end....

I guess my main questions would be: Are you in serious jeopardy of being discharged DUE to the re-org (the old "musical chairs" issue.)

Are you in serious jeopardy of being discharged if you sort of "take it easy" (let the bs roll off your back, do your work but "pace" yourself, stop "caring" etc.?)

If your j*b is relatively secure, you may be able to survive by just changing your attitude. It will likely affect your work, but hopefully, not enough to prompt any negative results.

Honestly, I couldn't do this myself so when I received an assignment I didn't want, I quit. Of course, I was already financially independent which makes all the difference. YMMV

Greetings, short-timer!

I started counting at five years, and what kept me going was looking at the end game... Also a govvie, there was a(nother) massive reorg about three years before my planned departure. Honestly, I made no efforts to discuss any work plans projected after my time came, but I took it as a challenge to try and make sure as many capabilities were preserved through the reorg "for those left behind". The last two years I worked a lot more closely with those that wanted to advance themselves and keep historical knowledge, spent some time each day forwarding/documenting information to be useful after I left, and tried to avoid the worst of the drivel that may have hit my desk.

In reality, what really got me through was firming up plans for my life after my retirement and sharing it with close friends. This is what to focus on - your end game... be it lining up travel, researching hobbies or family plans. It can be hard at the time of abject stupidity at work, but take a breath, take a walk, and buckle down till the end of the day...

What really shocked both me and my coworkers was no matter that I was an extreme workaholic for my entire career, the planning and dreaming had me walking away without a backward glance (except for missing some people). I hope this helps - you've made it this far, so keep in perspective how short the time ahead of you is compared to that behind you!

For any negative comments you are receiving, remember that we all make choices through our life that determine where/how we will land. Be grateful for yours.

Keep your eye on the prize! I too had an age I had to meet to keep medical, way better and cheaper than any other option including Medicare. So worth it. Now that I've hit my date, it's a lot easier to toil away a few more months, cough, another year, to pay for some luxuries, like a second home remodel. For a modest home, that's been in the family since 1963 and had original kitchen cabinets in it. So, I've paid my dues and planned long and hard and made the sacrifices, like I imagine most everyone on here has. Hang in there, you'll make it!! And don't pay attention to the naysayers.

Knowledge transfer

With your many years of experience, you know a lot of about your work. Don't take that knowledge out the door with you when you leave. Do your colleagues a favour, do the taxpayers of your jurisdiction a favour, do the next generation of workers a favour, and focus on teaching and knowledge transfer in the time you have left there. Find ways to mentor your staff -- formally or informally. Ask your supervisor about building training and mentoring into your job responsibilities for the coming months. Creating this legacy of developing those who will take over from you before you leave will make the time more enjoyable.

And plan for the glory days of not working. I'm coming up to three years of retirement, and haven't looked back to work at all.

That Was My Take

I found just knowing I was going to retire in a year or two made a huge difference.

I didn't worry about petty office politics. I didn't worry about saying the wrong thing, and I didn't get worked up about it when someone made a stupid decision or wanted to do things in a stupid way.

That's not to say I had a bad attitude. I worked pretty hard (well, as much as ever) right up to the end.

But I had a different attitude. I could offer my opinion, but didn't have to live with the consequences if it wasn't followed. Let the people who are going to have to deal with it long-term make the decisions. It was very liberating.

That was pretty much the situation where I worked. I had risen as high as I was going to go and was done with the stress of everyday life at the office. I maintained a good attitude till the end, put in my two week notice, then (what I say now) "ran for the door" the day I retired. I worked there 33 years to the day.

First, congratulations of setting yourself up so well for a secure retirement.

From what I can see, this particular time period is difficult for everyone. (I am in the same "zone.")

My DH is crossing off days on a calendar. :LOL: My suggestion is that you prepare little treats for yourself on at least one weekend a month. Things to look forward to and enjoy during this time period.

Back
Top Bottom