GM EV Hummer Edition 1 orders

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Yes, it's ready for order taking....well, this model is sold out, but lower trims are available?

So, you liked that new GMC Hummer EV you saw last night, either on these pages or during the World Series. You want one, and you’ve got the scratch to plunk down over $110K and the patience to wait for the first builds a year from now.

Well, if you’re planning to reserve a Hummer EV Edition 1, if you snoozed, you lost.

That’s right, the first-edition Edition 1 models sold out in 2 hours.

How many were there? Forum users suggest just 1,000.

GMC wouldn’t confirm that number, but the company did tell a forum user who reached out to P.R. that anyone who wants an Edition 1 can be placed on a waiting list when they reserve their Hummer, and that “thousands” are on the waiting list.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/10/hummer-edition-1-already-gone/

Here's GMC's official Hummer web page:

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

Last edited:
The new Hummer looks good! But I'm not going to reserve one - I'm having enough drama going through the Ford Bronco reservation program.

The new Hummer looks good! But I'm not going to reserve one - I'm having enough drama going through the Ford Bronco reservation program.

I'm really amazed why it's so hard to buy an expensive car these days. I tried to order a new 2021 Corvette a month a go and could not find a dealer that would guarantee delivery NEXT YEAR! I mean, come on here.......

I'm not going to plunk down a big deposit on a car that has a delivery date out a couple of years. Heck, I may be dead by then! :LOL:

I'm really amazed why it's so hard to buy an expensive car these days. I tried to order a new 2021 Corvette a month a go and could not find a dealer that would guarantee delivery NEXT YEAR! I mean, come on here....

Fairly standard for some cars. The wait for a Rolls Royce Phantom is usually about a year (after they have your deposit), since everything about it is bespoke. I really wouldn't mind that wait, since I'd know exactly what it would be like.

:cool:

Oh, and that reminds me: time to go buy another lottery ticket! :D

Fairly standard for some cars. The wait for a Rolls Royce Phantom is usually about a year (after they have your deposit), since everything about it is bespoke. I really wouldn't mind that wait, since I'd know exactly what it would be like.

:cool:

Oh, and that reminds me: time to go buy another lottery ticket! :D

Yes, I agree, it's fairly standard for a Rolls which is a car that is built to your options. And sometimes personalized. But the new Vette is an assembly line car with standard option choices. I'll have to say though, the pandemic has created issues and even recently, the assembly line was down due to a parts shortage. I also know that GM was overwhelmed with buying interest since the mid engine was rumored and asked about for near 30 years!

The EV cars that the majors are now building are probably parts dependent too (batteries), I would imagine. That may be the main reason for limiting build quotas.

And maybe they didn't want too many out there with the buying public as "beta test" vehicles!

I'm really amazed why it's so hard to buy an expensive car these days. I tried to order a new 2021 Corvette a month a go and could not find a dealer that would guarantee delivery NEXT YEAR! I mean, come on here.......

I'm not going to plunk down a big deposit on a car that has a delivery date out a couple of years. Heck, I may be dead by then! :LOL:
Get a C7... Plenty of them out there and they look a heck of a lot better, IMO...

Get a C7... Plenty of them out there and they look a heck of a lot better, IMO...

I was watching youtube videos on the old C4... the thing has actually aged really nicely and nice ones can picked up for 5k-8k. Highly tuneable LT engine if a guys into that sort of thing...

edit: nice thing about that Vette is it probably won't depreciate anymore either.

[MOD EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I agree, it's fairly standard for a Rolls which is a car that is built to your options. And sometimes personalized. But the new Vette is an assembly line car with standard option choices. I'll have to say though, the pandemic has created issues and even recently, the assembly line was down due to a parts shortage. I also know that GM was overwhelmed with buying interest since the mid engine was rumored and asked about for near 30 years!

The EV cars that the majors are now building are probably parts dependent too (batteries), I would imagine. That may be the main reason for limiting build quotas.

And maybe they didn't want too many out there with the buying public as "beta test" vehicles!

Yep, suppliers and parts availability is a problem. Probably the biggest reason that no dealer can give you a firm delivery date on your vette.

Same with the Bronco. Ford is using the same top supplier that supplies the Jeep Wrangler tops. Ford wants to give everyone a plastic molded in color top until body paint matched tops can be made available from their supplier. And nobody can give an answer when the tops will be available.

BIL is having the same problem with his bass boat. Can’t get parts.

I think that Covid is affecting the whole supply chain. A missing part or 2 throws the whole production line out of whack.

I have sort of an unwritten rule - I never buy a vehicle that is on back order. I won't even buy one that's "popular" enough that dealers can charge list and/or tack on "dealer" items. I suppose that might limit my options, but it's the principle of the concept so YMMV.

By the way, a hummer in Hawaii doesn't make a lot of sense, but again, YMMV.

I thought the music and imagery in that EV Hummer ad was fantastic. Not enough to get me to buy a $113k SUV, but really good. Specs are out of this world too.

The Hummer looks great, but the price is simply overwhelming. Such vehicles have to be expensive due to the immense cost of engineering and switchover to new manufacturing methods.

It's bad enough to have to pay for a vehicle today, but GM must recover $4.5 billion costs of building facilities, tooling, robots, etc. for electric vehicles alone.

GM just announced a $2 billion investment in their Spring Hill, Tennessee facility to build a 2022 Cadillac SUV and other electric vehicles.

I just prefer to keep my life simple with my Camry Hybrid and a new F150. After all, it's just transportation.

WOW! That is pretty interesting truck. If given I would take it, but not going to get on the waiting list here.

Hummer EV.
Looks good, lots of people want it, be a long time before available, expensive.
I now know everything I need to know about it. Pass!

BIL is having the same problem with his bass boat. Can’t get parts.

I think that Covid is affecting the whole supply chain. A missing part or 2 throws the whole production line out of whack.

It seems to be affecting lots of things. In my case it is getting an R/C model airplane that was supposed to be here last month. I just got the email today that it finally shipped.

I thought the music and imagery in that EV Hummer ad was fantastic. Not enough to get me to buy a $113k SUV, but really good. Specs are out of this world too.
Apparently there is a large market of wealthy Walter Mittys out there.

I test drove one of the original HMMWV-based pickup hummers back in the mid-90s. 6.2 diesel under the driver's right elbow, geared hubs for high ground clearance, ... Quite impressive. It had a phenomenal cargo carrying specification, like 3000#, but a tiny bed, just like this electric one. My theory was that the cargo weight spec would match up well with a heavy machine gun and ammo, but as a civilian truck the bed was almost worthless.

The cabin noise from that diesel was incredible.

Apparently there is a large market of wealthy Walter Mittys out there.

I test drove one of the original HMMWV-based pickup hummers back in the mid-90s. 6.2 diesel under the driver's right elbow, geared hubs for high ground clearance, ... Quite impressive. It had a phenomenal cargo carrying specification, like 3000#, but a tiny bed, just like this electric one. My theory was that the cargo weight spec would match up well with a heavy machine gun and ammo, but as a civilian truck the bed was almost worthless.

The cabin noise from that diesel was incredible.

We had a guy at w*rk with one of those diesel Hummers. He never missed a chance to pull up beside someone (on the way to or from the plant.) When the light changed, he'd blast around his "victim" as if he was Big Daddy. Eventually he was terminated because he has "issues." YMMV

I wouldn't buy the first year of any vehicle and I don't buy any from the Big 3 - Ford Chevy Dodge. Stick with Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura

I wouldn't buy the first year of any vehicle and I don't buy any from the Big 3 - Ford Chevy Dodge. Stick with Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura
Funny. The big 3 are Toyota, Volkswagen, and Hyundai.

Very nice looking, but too expensive for my blood.
And a 5 ft tall, 60+ year old Grandma might look a little funny trying to hop/climb in and out of it! :))

That was one heck of a commercial. Kudos to the GM marketing team.

It is also one heck of a vehicle. Lots of innovation there (if the features are real and not just hype).

I don't like the look of the Hummer but give me all that stuff in a more ordinary pickup looking package and you'd have my money (well... in theory... :LOL:)

Also, up the range to 1000km. That's the range anxiety event horizon for me.

Funny. The big 3 are Toyota, Volkswagen, and Hyundai.

Having owned one Ford and one GM car in my life, I can understand the above. Did I ever mention the Pontiac that made me swear off GM products for life? Or the Ford that kept blowing out freeze plugs? Fool me once....

Having owned one Ford and one GM car in my life, I can understand the above. Did I ever mention the Pontiac that made me swear off GM products for life? Or the Ford that kept blowing out freeze plugs? Fool me once....

Yep, my 20 year old (bought used) Buick is a maintenance hog but I marvel at its comfort. Wouldn't buy any current Big 3, but will keep the Buick as long as it isn't too expensive. With millions of similar units out there, finding parts will be easy long after I no longer need them. YMMV

I would never buy anything the first year it came out. I usually pick up a used truck when it's around 5 years old and try to hang on to it for another 15 years until it's too rusty to be safe anymore. I wouldn't buy anything from Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan, Hyundai/Genesis, or Kia. Living in the upper Midwest there's a Toyota dealership about 10 miles from my house but they have a reputation for the worst customer service in the area. Otherwise I have two GM dealerships, one Ford dealership and one Chrysler/Dodge/Ram dealership all within 10 miles of my home. The nearest Honda, Nissan, or Kia dealerships are over 100 miles away. And since I do my own maintenance I appreciate that replacement parts for GMs and Fords are quite a bit less expensive than the Asian brands.
For example: Front brake rotors and pads for a 2015 Chevy Colorado 2wd are $123 + tax on Autozone. Front brake rotors and pads for a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 2wd are $166 on Autozone. So a do-it-yourself brake job on a Tacoma costs 35% more than one on a Colorado. And in my neck of the woods if you go to a non-dealership auto repair center it usually costs more to have a "foreign" car serviced due to not only higher cost of parts but also due to the extra labor required due to them being engineered as to make so many parts inaccessible without a lot of disassembly of unrelated parts of the vehicle. (i.e. having to remove a tire and inner fender just to get access to a water pump)
I know no vehicle brand is perfect, and I also understand that the newer vehicles get, the more complicated they are becoming. But I think I'll still stick to GMs and Fords.

Back
Top Bottom