Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another 12 year member but seldom poster you will be missed.

This is quite unfortunate.

Perhaps I will give it a few months and then when I see an especially wise poster who shows up as new, I will quietly tell myself perhaps Mead has reconsidered. One can only hope.

Stay well.

-gauss

You will be missed. If and when the time is right, I hope one of the forks in your road leads you back here. Safe travels.

Thank you for all of your help meadbh, your insight and valuable data has been quite helpful here. I always feel a sense of loss when a member "retires" from the forum. I myself took a break for quite a while, I never could remember my old ER id.

11,000+ posts is prolific indeed! Thanks for that graphic, it's really helped me explain the market cycles quickly to people who otherwise dont care.

Agreed. It appeared to me at the time that there were numerous simmering political opinions being suppressed.
No doubt, there is an underlying bias on this forum. :hide:

I tend to think she will be back. I have noticed (in other forums) that when people start a thread to say, "That's it! I am LEAVING!!!" it's because they are annoyed. But, after they cool down and start to miss the interaction, the come back. The ones who *actually* leave FOR GOOD just stop posting. There one day, gone the next.

Last edited:
I have met Meadbh in person and she is a treat. I always looked forward to her contributions here. She is the second of the people I follow who has left this year. In both cases, I think there was some judgement expressed in the forum that made them feel uncomfortable to express their own feelings. Since they are retired and have sufficient money to live, why should they hang out where they might feel stifled?

I find this amazing. While this forum is useful, it does not appear to be intended as a validation of one's political or ethical leanings.

Ha

I find this amazing. While this forum is useful, it does not appear to be intended as a validation of one's political or ethical leanings.

Ha

"...does not appear..."? I think it's spelled out quite clearly in both the general rules and by the actions of the mods.

Personally, I think the absence of politics is what makes this forum the best out there.

Anyone who's been visiting here for more than a few months knows that there is little room for political comment and I welcome the gentle enforcement.

Last edited:

Ha

Agree
However, when one lets one's emotions get the better of oneself, or more than one who then cause the hurt feelings of the first to escalate without a release, decisions like this get made.
I, of course never let that happen :)

Personally, I think the absence of politics is what makes this forum the best out there.

Agreed. That, and maybe also the fact that there seems to be an active, ongoing contingent of frequent participants that is neither too small to lack variety, nor so large that the quality of the dialogue suffers.

Haven't tried to reconstruct what led Meadbh to leave, but it's an unfortunate loss. Hopefully there can be some back channel conversation to get past whatever the difficulty was and welcome that poster back.

Since I was quoted in the post that apparently led to this Good-Bye, I feel some degree of responsibility and guilt. I am sorry my questions led to this, as I too have always enjoyed her participation.

Since I was quoted in the post that apparently led to this Good-Bye, I feel some degree of responsibility and guilt. I am sorry my questions led to this, as I too have always enjoyed her participation.

Anyone can ask any question. It's how it's answered that becomes the issue. I wouldn't worry about it, Cards, not your fault.

From what I see, Mead wasn't asked to leave but decided to do so on her own.

Completely agree, not your fault at all. Your questions were good ones. I think the OP was reacting to others comments and you just got to be collateral damage based on the timing of your questions.

It's all in how we each choose to react. For example, one of my first posts , I think perhaps the third or fourth one, got an uncalled for snarky response. I laughed it off at the time. Wish Meadbh could have done the same.

Just wanted to inform you that I am leaving this Forum. I have been a member here for close to 12 years. I appreciate the knowledge I have gained here, and the friends. However, every good thing comes to an end, and it is time for me to leave on my own terms. I wish you all well for the future.

Mods, please change my designation to Gone Travelling.

Meadbh

I don't know why your are leaving but hope you will return some day. Best of wishes.

:flowers:Meadbh, I had been looking forward to hearing more from you about Ireland and Canada. I am sorry to see you leave and wish you nothing but the best.

After 11,000+ posts, I think I'd probably feel like this is a job.

Have a great FIRE retirement.

Bon voyage!

This forum is and always will be American-centric. And if we Americans are good at anything at all, it is always being right! About everything. Which isn't very conducive to reasoned and informative discussion. And that's why we have to have heavy-handed moderators, else this would be just one big flame war like almost every other forum on the internet, or Facebook.

I keep hoping to find this mythical place where all discussions are reasonable, where ideas are challenged and debated and minds are informed and no one ever gets personal about it and flame wars are non-existent. Until then, the only way to achieve this is to just find these people in real life. Mostly they seem to be in other countries. (in my experience - ymmv)

This forum is and always will be American-centric. And if we Americans are good at anything at all, it is always being right! About everything. Which isn't very conducive to reasoned and informative discussion. And that's why we have to have heavy-handed moderators, else this would be just one big flame war like almost every other forum on the internet, or Facebook.

I keep hoping to find this mythical place where all discussions are reasonable, where ideas are challenged and debated and minds are informed and no one ever gets personal about it and flame wars are non-existent. Until then, the only way to achieve this is to just find these people in real life. Mostly they seem to be in other countries. (in my experience - ymmv)

Exhibit Number One, hope you enjoy your break Meadbh

And if we Americans are good at anything at all, it is always being right! About everything.
And if you don't believe that, just travel outside the US (just about anywhere) and within a short time you should get the message.

And if you don't believe that, just travel outside the US (just about anywhere) and within a short time you should get the message.

Exhibit number 2...I thought people were just saying Good-bye and Good Wishes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom