Gotta love technical senior management

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had spend 10 minutes explaining the difference between SSO (Single Sign On) and SSL (Secured Socket Layer) lol. This person was refering to SSL as SSO and didn't know why there was a weird number (port number) in the URL. Then I had to explain ports and their particular functions. :LOL: :eek:

Maybe I should be technical inept so I could double my salary.

rant done :D

Then you could spend all day fowarding emails with "fyi" on the header. I had an upper manager that would forward urban legends thinking that they were true. I guess his favorite was people with AIDS where putting their used needles at gas pumps so when you went to grab the pump handle, you got AIDs. ::)

When I was just out of college I had a boss demand that I add a default clause to an if statement like this:

IF a > B THEN DO
ELSE IF B > A Then DO
ELSE DO

He wanted a statement to be executed if all three conditions were false.

He used to smoke marijauna at lunch.

He made twice what I did.

Mike D.

MikeD said:
When I was just out of college I had a boss demand that I add a default clause to an if statement like this:

IF a > B THEN DO
ELSE IF B > A Then DO
ELSE DO

He wanted a statement to be executed if all three conditions were false.

Mike D.

That would be micro-management on a level that I have never experienced! :confused:

MikeD said:

Mike, is that you?! I asked you for the default clause in case anybody changed your code -- you know, sort of preemptive debugging. And stop bogarting the joint, man.

The CFO at my old business used to forward emails with questions/problems/ideas to people with nothing other than:

"your action"

Figuring out what you were supposed to do with it was up to the employee.

soupcxan said:
The CFO at my old business used to forward emails with questions/problems/ideas to people with nothing other than:

"your action"

Figuring out what you were supposed to do with it was up to the employee.

That's the way it should be! ;)

MikeD said:

IF a > B THEN DO
ELSE IF B > A Then DO
ELSE DO

Hmm, what about if a == b? Am I missing something or does my question just prove that I'm management material? :)

WanderALot said:
Hmm, what about if a == b? Am I missing something or does my question just prove that I'm management material? :)

I was about to say the same thing, but didn't want the perpetual label of "MicroManager"  ::)

WanderALot said:
Hmm, what about if a == b?   Am I missing something or does my question just prove that I'm management material?   :)

The final "else" takes care of that case.

I'm still trying to figure out which language Mike was using, though. I vaguely recall a language called Edison that had "DO" as part of the IF syntax and I think it had something like a "DEFAULT" statement that would let you break out of a nested IF. I think some variants of Pascal might have had a way to break out of nested IF's as well.

It's definitely not limited to the computer world. I had a plant manager once that I had to try to explain how a mass balance worked. More importantly, I had to try to explain how we couldn't get it out if we couldn't get it in. Most chemical engineers get this beaten into them during their sophomore year and reinforced daily for the rest of their lives. Somehow, he must have missed all of this.

wab said:

I'm still trying to figure out which language Mike was using, though. I vaguely recall a language called Edison that had "DO" as part of the IF syntax and I think it had something like a "DEFAULT" statement that would let you break out of a nested IF. I think some variants of Pascal might have had a way to break out of nested IF's as well.

Well, I actually came across some code in a Program that was similar to this:

I A > B THEN
PERFORM Routine 100
ELSE
IF A < B THEN
PERFORM Routine 200
ELSE
IF A # B THEN
PRINT 'Computer Error - Call Systems Management' :D
ELSE
PERFORM Routine 300
END
END
END

wab said:

I was assuming that MikeD's boss wanted him to add the final "ELSE" when it wasn't there before. My mistake.

I feel like I'm back at the office again

I thought when I left work, I wouldn't see code like that again. ;)

Back
Top Bottom