Great weekend for college football

Well, at least only one of Ohio State or Alabama will get in. And the OP needed this one to get one right! I was rooting for Wiscy though.

Go Dawgs! Few picked us but we showed heart!

I thought GA had a good chance on a neutral field. Plus AU's running back was hurting so it set up well for the dawgs. I'm a Miss State dawg btw. ;) Going to be interesting to see who gets the 4th spot. Doesn't really matter to me but one side will be doing a lot of complaining afterward.

Re: the 4th spot, I think Alabama is probably most deserving with just 1 loss, to a good Auburn team that seemed to be peaking. They rolled most everyone they played, though that opening game win vs. FSU turned out not to be so impressive, even though FSU did have their QB most of the game.

I'm not a big fan of the argument that you have to be a conference champion to get in since that ignores non-conference games, but I do like some regional diversity. Otherwise you can get caught assuming one conference is better than the rest when all they are really doing is playing each other. I'd rather see them have to prove it against other conference teams. That said, OSU lost their only tough non-conference game (to Oklahoma), and you cannot ignore that Iowa game.

So I'd go with Bama, but can see why they might take Ohio St.

My avatar, for those that don't recognize it, is the UGA Arch. Oh happy day. :dance::dance:

Attachments

• UGA Arch.jpg
    UGA Arch.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 13
Oklahoma
Clemson
Georgia

Toss up = Alabama or Ohio State

My pick would be Alabama. Ohio State has 2 losses and really laid an egg against Iowa. They also just squeezed by Penn State. A game Penn State should have won.

I

Predictions don't count after the results are in! Bama is the 4th team.

Re: the 4th spot, I think Alabama is probably most deserving with just 1 loss, to a good Auburn team that seemed to be peaking. They rolled most everyone they played, though that opening game win vs. FSU turned out not to be so impressive, even though FSU did have their QB most of the game.

I'm not a big fan of the argument that you have to be a conference champion to get in since that ignores non-conference games, but I do like some regional diversity. Otherwise you can get caught assuming one conference is better than the rest when all they are really doing is playing each other. I'd rather see them have to prove it against other conference teams. That said, OSU lost their only tough non-conference game (to Oklahoma), and you cannot ignore that Iowa game.

So I'd go with Bama, but can see why they might take Ohio St.

I'm the opposite... I'd go with OSU for the 4th spot but concede that it is a razor-thin close call.

If Auburn had won the conference championship game or if it had been a close game then the argument that Bama only lost to a "good Auburn team" would have more merit... but that good Auburn team that beat Bama 26-14 got spanked by Georgia 28-7.

I agree that your shouldn't have to be conference champion to get in... for example, if some year a team was undefeated going into their conference championship and had been top-ranked all season and happens to narrowly lose their conference championship to a good team then I don't think they should be excluded from the top 4.

That said, as someone who has no skin in the game, I think there are slightly better arguments for giving the nod to OSU over Alabama... with the tie-breaker being a premier conference championship... other than that they are pretty even.

Roll Tide! (Sorry, had to support my team) I know most feel the same way about Bama as they do the Yankees or the Cowboys but I doubt Saban is going to apologize to anyone. :cool:

I'm not a college football fan but our nephew is and he's coming out for the Rose Bowl. Looked up tickets today and nosebleed end zone seats were over $250/ticket. Good seats closer to center were $800-$1K each. Yikes! We'll just watch the game from home.

Roll Tide! (Sorry, had to support my team) I know most feel the same way about Bama as they do the Yankees or the Cowboys but I doubt Saban is going to apologize to anyone. :cool:

My disdain for Bama has nothing to do with Saban - I think he's the best college coach of my era. Building successful programs at 2 different schools is unique, and the others that "looked like" they did it often left sanctions as a parting gift ;). I hope time shows that "Nick Satan" (as my LSU buddies still call him) has run the Bama program by the book as it appears he has up to now.

After seeing Bama fans with rolls of toilet paper on broom handles with attached detergent boxes chanting "Roll Tide" as they marched in to the 1999 Orange Bowl, my opinion was formed ;)

Never understood why they couldn't just stagger into the stadium, slurring their words, with their dates puking on their shoes, just like the rest of us...... :):baconflag:

Of course, I have my biases, as my handle would imply............;)

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the GA/OU game. With me being from Georgia and the DW being from Oklahoma, there will be a fair amount of harassment going on for the next few weeks. :)

In the end I think it will be UGA v. Clemson and as much as I am rooting for the Georgia boys (if they can stop getting arrested...idiots!) I think Clemson will win it all by 10.

I'm not a college football fan but our nephew is and he's coming out for the Rose Bowl. Looked up tickets today and nosebleed end zone seats were over $250/ticket. Good seats closer to center were $800-$1K each. Yikes! We'll just watch the game from home.

Check later. They should drop if they don't sell out that huge stadium. Not I said "if". They know right after the announcement of teams demand is high and they can charge high prices. If you have any association with either school you might be able to get face value tickets through them.

May not happen anytime soon, but I believe they will have an 8 team playoff. All power 5 champions get auto berths and then 3 teams for a formula or committee to decide. That way you get more teams from across the country in and deserving conference runner ups, independents(ND) and maybe a lower conference that has a strong enough schedule to be considered. Of course there will be discussions of the final three as you can't make everyone happy.

I agree with you Dawg52. NCAA has to get more conferences involved. Son and I were talking yesterday about this very thing. Think expanding the season to February wouldn't be so bad. Get more conference champs involved and adding them to the mix would certainly help. Ohio born and raised but I lived in Michigan longer than anywhere (except for Florida in retirement). We think the expansion would help recruiting for colleges not in the mix now.

Wow , I missed on every one of the games .. No upsets at all .. National championship , don't pick what I say could Georgia have a letdown after avenging their loss to Auburn . Could Clemson have a big head hangover , Could Bama come out to prove a point or could Oklahoma finally run into a real defense . Championship.
Oklahoma VS Bama .. Like I said don't bet on what I think.

I favor an 8 team playoff too. With the parity in college footbal one could argue that #5 could have won it all in a 2-game playoff but I think it is hard to assert that #9 could win a 3-game playoff.

May not happen anytime soon, but I believe they will have an 8 team playoff. All power 5 champions get auto berths and then 3 teams for a formula or committee to decide. That way you get more teams from across the country in and deserving conference runner ups, independents(ND) and maybe a lower conference that has a strong enough schedule to be considered. Of course there will be discussions of the final three as you can't make everyone happy.

I agree about going to 8 but not sure about the automatic bids. In my opinion it should be the 8 best teams.

I can't see them carrying it into February. I think it'd be more likely they have more games in December, like the FCS already does. I just don't get the undue influence the bowls seem to have on the whole process, but I think they could be incorporated much as they are today, with the non-playoff teams continuing to go to the smaller bowls and them major bowls hosting the semis and finals. I'd like to see any earlier round games on campus at the higher seeded teams as an incentive to keep the regular season meaningful.

My son and I are looking forward to going to the JMU quarterfinal game this weekend.

In the end I think it will be UGA v. Clemson and as much as I am rooting for the Georgia boys (if they can stop getting arrested...idiots!) I think Clemson will win it all by 10.

I like the way your thinking! Go Tigers!

I agree about going to 8 but not sure about the automatic bids. In my opinion it should be the 8 best teams.

I could go that way because some conferences have 10 teams, some have 14, and that seems a bit unfair. At least now all have championship games, which was an unfair hurdle for some to jump and some to skip.

But I could live with the 5 major conference champs, one from smaller conferences if they meet minimum criteria, and 2-3 wildcards. Notre Dame and other independents would only get in as wildcard, no automatic way as the BCS used to have. There has to be a way for a really good non-conference champ to get in, IMO, otherwise non-conference games become meaningless.

Check later. They should drop if they don't sell out that huge stadium. Not I said "if". They know right after the announcement of teams demand is high and they can charge high prices. If you have any association with either school you might be able to get face value tickets through them.

Thanks, I'll check in a week or two.

Easy way to end all the hyperbole, speculation, etc. about the CFP. You have to win your conference, period, end of story !

Back
Top Bottom