Great weekend for college football

Easy way to end all the hyperbole, speculation, etc. about the CFP. You have to win your conference, period, end of story !

That's a terrible idea because winning your conference doesn't take into account non-conference games at all. The NCAA basketball tourney used to be that way, and it didn't really take off in popularity until they opened the field to non-champions.

You could have Team A get blown out in the non-conference games against mediocre teams, lose a couple of conference games and barely squeak by the rest, but manage to win a weak division.

Team B absolutely crushes 3 tough non-conference opponents including Team C, rolls through their conference games including beating Team A 77-0.

A plays B in a rematch in their conference championship, but a flu wipes out much of Team B, the game is played in a raging blizzard or rainstorm, and a couple of horrible calls go A's way and they upset B by a point.

A goes instead of B? And Team C can win the playoffs without any risk of having to beat Team B in a rematch? No thanks. You could end all of the speculation, but it'd be a lousy playoff too many years.

That's a terrible idea because winning your conference doesn't take into account non-conference games at all. The NCAA basketball tourney used to be that way, and it didn't really take off in popularity until they opened the field to non-champions.

You could have Team A get blown out in the non-conference games against mediocre teams, lose a couple of conference games and barely squeak by the rest, but manage to win a weak division.

Team B absolutely crushes 3 tough non-conference opponents including Team C, rolls through their conference games including beating Team A 77-0.

A plays B in a rematch in their conference championship, but a flu wipes out much of Team B, the game is played in a raging blizzard or rainstorm, and a couple of horrible calls go A's way and they upset B by a point.

A goes instead of B? And Team C can win the playoffs without any risk of having to beat Team B in a rematch? No thanks. You could end all of the speculation, but it'd be a lousy playoff too many years.

Here you go then little wisdom from Mike Leach; https://www.facebook.com/SWXRightNo...U_lrNaxsrvwvxrs6RGvU6AQSCsoqTX8HU&pnref=story

I can disagree with Leach too. I didn't listen to all of his rambling. Did he address how being a conference champion completely ignores non-conference games?

I can disagree with Leach too. I didn't listen to all of his rambling. Did he address how being a conference champion completely ignores non-conference games?

Watch the whole video, he is suggesting a play-off like the pros.

Watch the whole video, he is suggesting a play-off like the pros.

He rambled on about a lot of possibilities, including the pros, FCS, Division III, high schools, ...

There's a lot more parity in the NFL. You can base playoffs strictly on overall records and it'll hold up well. Two teams that goes 12-4 probably aren't that far off because there are only 32 teams and a lot of overlap of opponents. Two FBS college teams that go 10-2 are very possibly worlds apart in how good they really are, and may have no common opponents. And guess what, non-conference teams do make it into the NFL playoffs.

The FCS also include non-conference champions. Guess how they are selected? A committee. So Leach railed against committees, then suggested instead a system that uses...a committee.

I could go on. There are better options than what there is today. I'd be fine with:

- 8 team playoff, 5 major conf champs + 3 at large, with a possible automatic for a smaller conf champ

- 12 team playoff, same as above, but more at large teams, and also gives a bye to the top 4 teams as a huge incentive to make every game count

- 16 team playoff, all conference champions in plus fill with wildcards. I don't really like giving each of C-USA, SunBelt, etc, an automatic bid, so I don't really like this, but I could live with it.

All of these have at large teams to be selected, and I think that'd have to be by committee.

I don't want any playoff that allows only conference champions, as you said, for the reasons I gave earlier.

Back
Top Bottom