Groundless Laptop

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been recording online videos (e.g. Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.) from the computer to the DVR. There was a 60 Hz hum in the audio, and from some Googling I found that I could eliminate it by using a three-prong adapter, that is, by eliminating the ground on the plug (ground loop info).

I don't see any significant risks in running the laptop ungrounded, do you?

Ungrounded should be fine. But don't make it un-earthed, lest you be killed in a very prim and proper way ;)

One extra precaution - unplug the laptop power, then connect the video/audio cables to the video/audio system. Then plug the laptop power in.

Just a little extra insurance, in case the laptop 'floated' to a higher voltage above ground. If that happened, it would be the cable connection that would suddenly bring the laptop back to ground potential. That could put a bit of a zap into the laptop, or the audio/video system.

-ERD50

Just dont stick it in the water

Sounds like you have a ground loop or an invalid earth ground.

Beyond that is a speculation about your cable companies installation and short and rusty ground rods.

They run fine without the ground. In some places in Asia, the chargers don't even have the third (grounding) prong. I bought a Sony Vaio for DW that doesn't have one. In fact, even if it had a third prong, there are lots of buildings here that do not have a receptacles that accept the grounding prong. I'm running my US bought Compaq right now without one (using an adapter) because there is no place to plug it otherwise.
R

I've been recording online videos (e.g. Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.) from the computer to the DVR. There was a 60 Hz hum in the audio, and from some Googling I found that I could eliminate it by using a three-prong adapter, that is, by eliminating the ground on the plug (ground loop info).

I'm assuming you wouldn't be doing this during a thunderstorm?

I'm assuming you wouldn't be doing this during a thunderstorm?

Probably should avoid plugged in electronics in a thunderstorm anyhow, but not any more/less dangerous w/wo the ground on the laptop PS.

The end result here is that the laptop *is* grounded. It is grounded through the audio/video cable ground. What he is doing is avoiding two grounds, which can cause the ground loop problems he linked to.

I'd assume that T-Al has run into this problem with his band? I seem to remember that some of my old amps had a 'ground lift' switch, for this exact purpose. But you do need to make sure that no outlets have hot-neutral reversed. That can be exciting (and deadly). Hands on metal guitar strings, lips to the metal wind screen on the mic - ouch!!!!!

-ERD50

Chasing ground loops can be frustrating, often there is a ground loop between tv, DVR, Cable from street side to equipment. A frequent help is to isolate the cable with "balun" fancy name for for a transformer. Two of the 300 Ohm to 75 TV transformers connected with their 300 Ohm leads together, connected between cable and tv will kill one ground loop.

Cheching for hot/neutral reversals is important, as noted by others. Floating a laptop from house ground should be no problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom