Gutter Damage

golfnut

Full time employment: Posting here.
A buddy of mine had some gutter damage after a storm. The damage is only on one side of the house. Will insurance pay to replace all the gutters/down spouts around the whole house? Or just the damaged gutters?

Of course, he wants the gutters to be uniform looking around the whole house for cosmetic reasons.

I tried googling this scenario and came up empty. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

I'd rather doubt the insurance would pay for new gutters all around just because they don't match the old ones exactly.

Besides, it's one of those things that even if they don't match, if he doesn't tell anyone it's doubtful anyone would notice. I sure don't bother examining other people's gutters. I probably wouldn't notice my own unless they fell off.

Unless it's a real expensive home it's not hard to match gutter profiles. Maybe different parts of the country they have different profiles. Here there are K gutters, round (bottom) & fascia shape. In only a couple sizes...4/5/6 inches. Higher priced homes will get some copper now and again. Your neighbor won't have trouble matching

Still have to paint them to match

Wouldn't even full house gutters cost less than most deductibles?

Anyway how do you look at different sides of the house at the same time? Furthermore I would not file a claim for this small amount.

As mentioned before, I doubt the insurance would replace the whole house, just the complete side with the damaged run. The going price of 5" K-style (traditional) seamless gutters around here (Chicago burbs too) is around 10-13 dollars per running foot. That is not for "Gutter Guard" or "Leaf Guard" brands, which are much higher. You can estimate the cost yourself and figure if it is worth the effort. I doubt his deductible would be enough to cover his cost. Even if it was a wash, I'd cover the cost myself. I had 6" gutters with 4 oversized downspouts installed this year at $2,600 for the full house including high-end gutter screens. As with any home improvement, who you get estimates from may affect the costs considerably.

I dunno... while I've never had such a claim but if one side of the roof were damaged I suspect that they would replace the whole roof... right?

But at the same time, it is pretty easy to match gutters. The last time I priced them it was ~$8/foot of gutter or downspout for aluminium gutters.

I dunno... while I've never had such a claim but if one side of the roof were damaged I suspect that they would replace the whole roof... right?

But at the same time, it is pretty easy to match gutters. The last time I priced them it was ~$8/foot of gutter or downspout for aluminium gutters.

Your roofing analogy was what I was thinking about.

When I lived on Bainbridge Island a friend was killed falling off a ladder when he was cleaning his gutters. After first trying the screen cover and finding it soon didn't catch the rain we replaced them with Leaf Guard gutters. Husband didn't need to clean our gutters after that but he did aim our leaf blower up on the roof a couple of times to brush off dried leaves. I think that system is well worth any extra cost.

When I lived on Bainbridge Island a friend was killed falling off a ladder when he was cleaning his gutters. After first trying the screen cover and finding it soon didn't catch the rain we replaced them with Leaf Guard gutters. Husband didn't need to clean our gutters after that but he did aim our leaf blower up on the roof a couple of times to brush off dried leaves. I think that system is well worth any extra cost.

Good point. We had a premium system. not screens, on our gutters prior to roof replacement. The roofer took extra steps to ensure they were properly reinstalled. Worth the extra bucks.

Last edited:

There's no need to replace an entire roof if only one side is damaged. Back in my shingling days we routinely would re-roof one half of a side-by-side. But I guess the roofing companies don't mind the extra work if they can get it.

There's no need to replace an entire roof if only one side is damaged. Back in my shingling days we routinely would re-roof one half of a side-by-side. But I guess the roofing companies don't mind the extra work if they can get it.

Yes, about 10 yrs ago I had my roof inspected by the insurance agent estimator (after the roofing company had said it had hail damage).
We were on the roof and he told me "ok we will do this roof, and I'll go see if the other section is damaged", lucky me both sections were damaged so the whole roof got fixed.

If you are doing a serious re-roof job consider installing tie-downs. One side of our multi-story Bainbridge Island house was close to a steep slope. If someone fell from the roof it would be a while before they came to a stop. We installed tie-downs on that side of the roof during construction. The need would be site-specific. DD's house is one story on a flat site so no tie-downs indicated.

My pet peeve is that roofers think that tie-downs are for wimps, in our case until they walked over the ridge and looked down on that steep slope.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom