Happiest States............

From the article..."They were also surprised at the least happy states, such as New York and Connecticut, which landed at the bottom two spots on the list."

Hey, I'm happy:cool: except when we get 2 feet of snow or they raise my property taxes. :whistle:
The joy of being far away from Manhattan has no bounds. Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.

It's fun being last on some sort of list. ;)

Sunshine, temperatures, and state of precipitation (frozen or not)--not surprising at all to me that people who live in the warmer sunnier states are happier than people who aren't. Snowshoveling is not a happy activity for most people.

I was reading about this list in the Syracuse paper this morning. The article theorized that the numbers for NY might have been skewed by the cost of living, congestion, and long commutes in the NYC area.

Does that mean these are the most unhappy states? And look who's dead last...

46. California

I can understand why there are currently a lot of stressed out unhappy people in CA but I think that it is terrific:

- No mortgage so housing costs and cost of living in general are not an issue
- Can drive to work without getting on the freeway and can bike if I want so congestion isn't much of an issue
- Best year around weather in the country IMHO, including Hawaii
- Happy in shorts and tee shirts and that is all I need for most of the year

I was a little surprised that no Midwestern states made it to the top 10 list. We pride ourselves in our self-sufficiency here in the upper midwest, and I had mistakenly thought self-sufficiency brings happiness. On the other hand, I guess Garrison Keillor is not the poster child of joy.

If we are lucky this year, we may only get 6 months of winter instead of 7. Isn't that a reason to celebrate?

If supposedly the sun correlates with the happiness ranking, then why is California--land of fun in the sun--ranking so darn low?

...Snowshoveling is not a happy activity for most people.
Aw, come on. It is tremendous exercise for the upper body and waistline. Why go to the gym when you can shovel the white stuff? :D
Actually, I push snow along if it is light. If it is wet and heavy, the ol' snowblowing equipment gets fired up pronto. :cool:

Without a doubt, I can say Virginia is not the happiest state right now;)

If supposedly the sun correlates with the happiness ranking, then why is California--land of fun in the sun--ranking so darn low?

Maybe it's due to the fact you have to be making 3 to 4x the national average income to be able to buy a small house in a middle-class neighborhood. Just a guess. I know people who moved from CA to NC to improve their relative quality of life.

It would be a southeast sweep - except that Georgia is noticeably absent. I wonder why?!?!?!?

Audrey

Kentucky would have been Top 5 had they done the survey during a year UK won a b-ball NCAA championship

Also, having traveled to some pretty dismal parts of this world, the one thing that always seemed strange is people living in mud huts or worse with great big smiles on their face.

I once read a quote by an economist or philosopher (maybe Bertrand Russell?) saying something to the effect that in poor countries people are generally happy while in rich countries people are generally poor.

IIRC, the quote was from the turn of the last century, in the midst of the industrial revolution.

I can understand why there are currently a lot of stressed out unhappy people in CA but I think that it is terrific:

- Best year around weather in the country IMHO, including Hawaii

IMNHO,you are wrong :). I lived 17 years in Southern California, 3 years in Evansville, Indiana, 20 year in Northern California and 10 years in Hawaii. As far as climate is concerned. Hawaii Noi Ka Oi is the best.

I am little surprised that Louisiana is ranked so highly , but I see the survey was pre Katrina. Before then it seemed like a laid back place, with unique culture (and great food), of course I haven't been there in 20 years. I think California would rank higher except for the god awful government, and the bad economic conditions.

Anecdotaly, I found people in the mountain states ID, WY, MT to be pretty content, beautiful country, plenty of room, and seemly tolerant on non-conformist.

I don't know about you, neighbor, I may technically be in CA but I live in the happiest place of all, the state of retirement.;)

That may well be true. I think a lot of the so-called "poor" states, or less educated states, or whatever you want to call them, have far less stress due to affluenza and a "keep up with the Joneses" mentality.

It's not just a matter of keeping up with the Joneses. Here in NYC the professional competitive pressure is relentless. I don't know anyone who can go home after a solid eight hour day and not be looked down upon as some kind of slacker.

Kentucky would have been Top 5 had they done the survey during a year UK won a b-ball NCAA championship

There is an article in the Washington Times on Calipari. It isn't real complimentary on his ethics.

IMNHO,you are wrong :). I lived 17 years in Southern California, 3 years in Evansville, Indiana, 20 year in Northern California and 10 years in Hawaii. As far as climate is concerned. Hawaii Noi Ka Oi is the best.

I've been to Hawaii a dozen time in the last 25 years. I absolutely love Hawaii, love the beaches, love the ocean, love the mountains, love the life-style but the weather is just a little to hot and humid for my taste. On the other hand the ocean has the frigid Norcal ocean beat by a million miles.

I've been to Hawaii a dozen time in the last 25 years. I absolutely love Hawaii, love the beaches, love the ocean, love the mountains, love the life-style but the weather is just a little to hot and humid for my taste. On the other hand the ocean has the frigid Norcal ocean beat by a million miles.

No seasons..... I couldn't live without seasons. :2funny::clap::duh: And I need real ones, not little namby-pamby ones like those in South Carolina. :confused::mad:

I want winter to be winter with snow, and summer to be summer, but not too hot---mostly in the 70's and low 80's, and fall to have beautiful changing colored leaves, and spring to have MUD, lots of mud, and of course biting flies, but only for about three weeks.:greetings10:

Its all about having the right gear. And I want to have gear. Gear for winter, gear for summer, gear for fall and spring. Different outerwear for each season.

We are now in the grouchiest part of the year for my neck of the woods...people are tired of winter and are more than ready for spring. It's pretty bad when all you feel you have to look forward to is rain and mud. :rolleyes:
I was out grocery shopping last week and did an informal "smile count". The only smile I saw was my own reflection in the glass door of the dairy case when I was reaching to get some milk. :D
Sometimes I really feel like yelling out things like...
"Lighten up, folks. You woke up today."
"No asteroids crushed the planet today."
But I am a good girl...I was taught to behave in public. ;)

Ah yes the beautiful snow clad Kansas plain and all those scenic cars spin out in the snow beside I-29 as I drove to the north side of Kansas City MO. ( coming back from San Diego).

Sure beats boring old Southern Cal.

:D

heh heh heh - spring is just around the corner. :cool:

I too love the four seasons. I could never live where there was little rain. I have relatives that live in dry parts of the country and its unbearable to me. I've enjoyed all the snow this winter here in NE Ohio; its beautiful!

Here in Mississippi, we have experienced a little more winter than normal. Quite a few cold days with a little snow. The golf course was closed for 14 days in January.:eek: But Spring is just around the corner, golf greens are starting to green up. All is right in the world again.:)

And I can't wait to FIRE and get out of the grey in the Midwest and go back home to the sunny year round sky's of AZ. Everyone has their own paradise, I hope you are enjoying yours or looking forward to which one you prefer. :whistle:

Snow melted yesterday (State #41) - guess what was under it :cool: ?....

Attachments

• 2008 Apr_May Benelux 209.jpg
    2008 Apr_May Benelux 209.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2008 Apr_May Benelux 220.jpg
    2008 Apr_May Benelux 220.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 2008 Apr_May Benelux 210.jpg
    2008 Apr_May Benelux 210.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2008 Apr_May Benelux 217.jpg
    2008 Apr_May Benelux 217.jpg