Have you ever been fired (lower case)

^^^^I, too, once found myself in a well-paid situation, bored, with not nearly enough to do. We called it the “Golden Handcuffs”. It was not as fun as one might think! Later, during a recession, a new CEO came in and called BS on the “country club.” It was painful getting the boot with several fellow “redundancies” but I landed very well elsewhere and look back on the experience as a blessing all the way around.

I guess a lesson is, I do better with a balance, and it motivates me to get a few more things going on than I’ve had lately during the winter while FIREd during Covid. It’s all on me now. [emoji50]

Yes! I was 22. My boss told me to do something that I thought was unethical and I told her no (this was the culmination of a long ordeal). She told me to train someone else to do my job and leave by the end of the week. I didn't go back.

The headquarters was in a nearby town where I grew up (and was living). The owner of the company called me and asked me to come into his office the next morning. I did. I explained to him what she wanted me to do and that I thought it was unethical and he told me I wasn't old enough to have ethics.

I drove straight to my dad's office and cried. How dare he say I didn't have ethics!

The boss ended up getting caught doing some things that were actually illegal and was walked a couple weeks later. I felt vindicated. I think I was fired on a Wednesday - I got a new job starting the following Monday.

If you haven’t seen the film, Up in the Air, I highly recommend it. George Clooney plays a guy whose job it is to fire people around the US for companies which outsourced such unpleasant things. Here is the trailer: http://https://youtu.be/En0DYdjMVoY

Fortunately, I was FIRE'd by the time this movie came out. So, I enjoyed it immensely. But I had a friend who remained at Megacorp in my old work group. Megacorp wasn't QUITE as bad as most of the companies UP IN THE AIR show cased. But the poor guy had to "bid" for his j*b (and got blackballed) by a couple of folks he thought of as (if not friends) cordial co-w*rkers. It really did a number on his psyche. The good news is that Megacorp sold my friend's division to another company and he is there to this day - and much happier than at Megacorp. YMMV

After retiring following a 26 year career with a big telco, I got bored and went back to work at a high tech company. Got caught in a restructuring and had my department eliminated when a new VP took over. I was only there for 1.5 years and could not find anything else in the company that required my skillset. Their severance package was quite good and I was treated very well on the way out.

Janet,

Kudos to your mom, and that is very disappointing It's just so wrong. My wife tells me stories of being chased around by pervy guys when she did summer jobs. What is wrong with people?

After working many hours on a critical report my manager advised his name would be on the report. I immediately gave two weeks notice, and was walked out. Started a new job in two weeks. Always wondered it the manager was able to answer questions about material he did no work on.

At age 59.5 I was fortunate enough to volunteer to be laid off. I was ready/eager and the work environment became toxic after the most recent acquisition. On my last day I was literally the only person in our office, my boss located 2,000 miles away. It was strange leaving my laptop and badge behind with... no one. There was a decent severance and I have no regrets.

I did have to fire a few people in the past. It’s never fun for anyone.

Yes, yes I was. Several times. But not until I was I was 45. First one was my fault, in that I took a job I knew was a dead end. But, in my defense, I already had my retirement funds in the bank from an LLP that I'd participated in. Then I was fired from my dream job for I don't even know why... maybe personality conflict?

But anyway, today is my last day working. Retired, so I can't be fired anymore! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Yes, yes I was. Several times. But not until I was I was 45. First one was my fault, in that I took a job I knew was a dead end. But, in my defense, I already had my retirement funds in the bank from an LLP that I'd participated in. Then I was fired from my dream job for I don't even know why... maybe personality conflict?

But anyway, today is my last day working. Retired, so I can't be fired anymore! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Congratulations! Welcome to the "club."

Yes, short end of a merger. In most mergerthere is a dominant party, my bank was not. I really didn’t mind it, and saw it coming. Got almost a years severance, got to move back home to Texas from CA., where our first grandchild was waiting. Got CA wages to live in Texas, other job hunting bennies, that past the time.

Right after HS I went to work in a plastic factory extruding pvc pipe. Sanitation, electrical & water pipe.
This was a union job with a 90 day probationary period. This place had a reputation of bringing in young green kids, work them to a pulp for 89 days then firing them. The pay at union scale in the late 70’s was somewhere north of $25 an hour.
I was sure I was going to pass the probation period with flying colors. I licked boots and did every menial and dangerous job they asked. I was on night shift and even worked doubles so the alcoholic old timers could recover from their benders. WRONG!
Day 89 my boss came up to me and said I failed to properly document the pipe dimensions of a line I was running. I asked him to show me. He said he he was sorry, the records were already filed. Clock out, sorry about your luck. Thank God, I’m hoping an 89 day exposure to polyvinyl chloride was not enough to cause cancer.
The second and last time I got fired was after a 12 year career in the retail footwear business. I began as mgr. trainee and eventually became their director of store planning.
They asked to relocate me and my family 7 times in those 12 years eventually ending up at the home office.
May 2nd 1991 black Monday, I and over 40 mid & upper level execs were given our walking papers and severance package.
I did not take it very well and flipped the desk over onto the exec vp and our hr mgrs lap. I eventually was led out by the constabulary.
I plead guilty to simple assault but ultimately got my severance.
I never regret a day of my actions.

I worked as a sales and service rep for a company for 16 years. In that time I was hired, let go, hired and let go again. I was paid on a salary and commission basis. They actually offered me a sales only (commission) job the last time which I declined. I was eligible for unemployment insurance each time. I had a friend who paid me for an off the books job while collecting unemployment during that time. That worked out quite well each time.

I was nearing my early retirement anyway so I strung out working for this company as long as possible. I knew the end was near. They were in severe financial trouble. I knew things were bad because at some point they would not send us any parts we needed and our gas cards for our company vehicles stopped working. The owner eventually sold out to another company but in that time he attempted to pocket our 401k contributions before depositing them to Principal, the company that held/invested our assets. I filed a claim with state regulators. He got in serious trouble for that. I eventually got my 401k money from the new owners of the company. They were deemed responsible to cover them by the state. I took my money, transferred my 401k to my IRA at Fidelity and said good bye to my working days for good. I was 58 at the time.

I've been laid off twice in my career, almost 30 years apart.
My first career job out of college lasted about 4 years until the oil economy tanked. I was young and the low man on the totem pole, so my boss's boss put on this pitiful look and tried to look sorrowful. I got 2 weeks severance, and walked out the door.

The 2nd time was 30 years later. Again the oil economy tanked in 2016. This time I was much higher up the totem pole and much more expensive (but worth it). I had just come back from a 2 week vacation, and had learned that layoffs happened the week before. I figured I was safe since my security badge worked and I made it through most of the day. The VP came by at 3pm, with the HR people. I got 6 months severance and walked out the door.

That was my retirement date. I decided that was enough.

Since then there was a few more layoffs, and the company filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Yes, this week...

My answer just recently changed to “yes” after spending 28 years with the company. I wasn’t completely shocked given planned cost cutting, but it still stung..

What most annoyed me was the surprise. I guess there may be liability reasons, but even a hint just prior would have been nice. In the past I had asked my boss, who I consider a friend, for a heads up should/when it ever got here. I knew right away when our scheduled 1x1 zoom call had another person (HR) on. In the end I know it doesn’t matter and overall I’m very appreciative of the severance/ early Retirement package, I just hoped for better treatment.

At this point I’m getting excited about what comes next, as reality is setting in. The end came a couple years sooner than planned. Currently considering all options and financially were arguably FI, but may want to get a couple more years of income coming in. I see challenges in finding something comparable elsewhere, and doing something totally different has great appeal (but no clear path at this point).

DW has always worked and plans to continue, but may scale back. It’s been difficult to get on the same page and convince her we’re ok financially, (despite getting confirmation from vanguard (based on a prelim plan/review that included the potential layoff and scale back)

Grateful to be in our current situation (based on a lifetime of savings/regular investing) and look forward to figuring things out. My hope is the quicker hook becomes a blessing...

Never fired, but laid off once in 1985, after 11 years with the company. Facility was spun off as the result of a takeover. Our facility actually had several waves of layoffs – once I came to work Monday and my entire department of 12, including the manager and secretary, except for me, were gone! I was laid off a few months later when headquarters decided they could absorb my work. My choice was to wait several months to be recalled, or leave. I took the severance (1 week per year).

In retrospect this was the best thing that could have happened to me. Actually found a new job before the 11-weeks of severance payments were completed. Moved from a 2,000+ employee manufacturing site in Louisiana to a consulting company in the LA area, where I was employee #12, including secretaries and draftsman. The consulting company was truly world-class in their field (which I had worked in before accepting a supervisory position), and I felt privileged to work with them. Their software is still used by industry.

In the 4 years I was there, I consulted at 13 different manufacturing sites around the world, and learned best practices at each client site I visited. When my wife & I relocated to be near our parents (they had health problems), the things I picked up in consulting made me ‘golden’ at the new employer. I would have never made the move if I had not been laid off. Retired after spending 29 years in 11 positions at this site.

I would say almost everyone Hs been laid off and fired . It is part of working for the man. My last job I was laid off after 30 years with all the older people . I was laid off by a Saudi Arabian guest worker . Our boss left the office . The Saudi girl offered tissues to me , I wanted to retire so I acted shook up she started crying and shaking so bad I was worried for her . But now four years later retirement is greeeeeaaaaat.

I FIRED pre-Covid but went back to work at a temp job to avoid my family, who is home working remotely. Last week, I was surprised to be laid off even though I emailed by boss weeks ago and volunteered to take one for the team when I realized staff reductions were inevitable because the company was hemorrhaging money. Company asked me to apply for a full-time permanent position, but I declined.

I have survived 3 large layoffs: 1) company shut down; 2) 50% of the staff laid off; 3) 50% of my department laid off. 1) I quit days before the company shut down and missed out on a large severance. 2) I had no idea this was happening and was fortunate not to be laid off, but I immediately began looking. 3) My boss told me in advance this was happening and helped me secure a new position shortly before the ax fell. At my last full-time job, when the company announced they would be reducing personnel, I volunteered to be laid off, but I was not selected, so I had to quit to retire. I was always a decent employee, but I think I was never let go (until last week) because I was well liked. I have been really lucky, but it also pays to be well liked and always have an exit plan.

Once and only once..

I was working at a low dollar pizza restaurant, but it had a ginourmous organ (stop being filthy) and a clapping monkey. I was rated at about $3.65/Hr, a princely sum in late 1980's wages for a pizza worker.

I was let go to hire a lower priced worker.

The restaurant has since closed, I have no feelings on this whatsoever.

Fired as a busboy at IHOP.

Got the you will never amount to anything speech from the Assistant night manager who canned me. Some 20 plus years later, I was visiting my home state and stopped into that IHOP with my wife and kids. The assistant night manager was still there. Too bad he did not recognize me. I’m probably the only one ever fired by IHOP....

Yes. Oh boy, do I have a story.

First of all, I was hired for this position from another part of the company - and I moved over 1,000 miles at my own expense to Colorado to start this job. This was a job that was basically what I had been doing for the past 9 years and had gotten great performance reviews.

I was supposed to work with 3 other people but on my first day there, their manager sat with all of us at a meeting and told them all that he had no idea why I was there and that his people (that I was supposed to work with) should have nothing to do with me. But, like a dummy I stayed on.

During my year+ there, I got comments like how bad the winter/snow could be (uh, I spent 4 years in Alaska where it occasionally got below -40), how they trusted employees because they had known them for 20 years or more (as in, they did not trust me), etc. Then there was the one engineering lead who remarked that what they did was hire people with current skills then work them as many hours as they could without any additional training and then replace them when their skills became outdated. I also had a "supervisor" who would tell the site manager about a decision/course of action and then before telling me, change his mind completely and tell me something different (or not bother to tell me at all). So it always looked like were were not working together. I also noticed that not only were there very few females' that worked here (in two buildings) but the women who were over 40 experienced a lot of hostility from the management.

Talk about stress through the roof:confused:? Then I had the audacity to have my 60th birthday. And then I really started feeling awful with difficulty focusing on my work, felt agitated at times, etc. Then one week apart, I had two incidences shortly before lunch when I essentially blacked out and have no memory of my actions.

After the second time, I was literally walked out the door on a Friday on suspension. I went to the doctor on Monday and found out that I had become diabetic and those blackouts were because my blood sugar had dropped so low that I really needed medical intervention. So I immediately went on a medical leave to ensure everything was stable. But it took 3 weeks before my stress level even started to go down. And six weeks later, I went to a psychologist for cognitive tests to verify that there were not additional problems. Even 6 weeks later, she said that although not bad, my short term and long term memory results were so different that she could tell that my stress level was still affecting my ability to work and strongly suggested that I never go back.

But, since I was on medical leave, I had to go back When everything was finally stable, I contacted my boss and said I was cleared to go back. II was told that I would be reassigned instead. Ah yes. I was assigned to a desk in another building in a room that was empty. I also had no phone, no computer - and no duties. My first full day back, my manager came with my annual performance review stating that my work was sub par, even though no mention of this the whole time I had been working there.

After six WEEKS of sitting at an empty desk each day, I was told that I did not know how to do my job (without any specifics) and my two choices were to resign or enter a retraining program so my "deficiencies could be corrected". However, I was never told what the "deficiencies" were and there was nothing set up for the "retraining" . In addition, I was told that if I did not "pass" the retraining, I would be fired immediately and would not even get severance, etc.

Can anyone say "discrimination"? Take your pick - age, gender, medical.
in addition, about a year later, I was at an event at a conservative church. I saw one of my former co-workers, he got first a surprised and then an extremely guilty look on his face (and avoided me). I attend an "open and affirming" church and for some reason, I got the impression that someone had decided to spread a rumor around the site (with a lot of very conservative/evangelical men) that I was gay.

One good thing is that when I started looking for work again, I applied for unemployment. Normally if you resign, you are not eligible and the company pushed back. I was able to prove that the resignation was forced and at the hearing, even the company lawyers did not show up to put up even a weak defense. So my guess is that they realized they had goofed big time and I got this extra money until being hired again. But unless I could get a co-worker to testify on my behalf (endangering their own job), filing a lawsuit would have been futile.

The great thing is that after working for 15 months more for another company (for ~20K higher salary), when that job got moved to another state, I was ready to walk away from work completely and with more than enough investments to live a comfortable retirement.

Never fired, never laid off. I was unemployed for six weeks after my college graduation while looking for a job in a poor job market, and took 6 days off between my last two jobs before FIRE. When I moved to Hawaii from CA, I flew over and started work the same day, doing the same thing, just in another state and for a different company and client.

Lucky, flexible, and good? I kept moving to keep up with the work.

Yes. I was hired to open / run a 2nd medical office. Other staff insisted that everyone pray before opening every day. I declined and rumor got out that I wasn't Christian (yes Jews aren't Christian). So I was called into the 1st office and told that the others were uncomfortable around me because I did not pray with them. That was supposed to build trust. He was clearly nervous as being a different religion shouldn't be grounds for being fired. Landed on my feet. Got a job with the county and retired after 22 yrs as a hospital director. It was a good thing I didn't fit in

Thanks, gayl. I was looking for other stories of discrimination.

I was fired from two jobs in my 20's when the employers found out I was gay. It was before there were laws in my state to protect GLBT people. But when I think through what happened, I doubt I could have proved that was the reason. So laws don't always prevent discrimination. Both experiences were devastating at the time. But I was determined to come out before taking the next job and from then on, it was never an issue again.

Thanks, gayl. I was looking for other stories of discrimination.

I was fired from two jobs in my 20's when the employers found out I was gay. It was before there were laws in my state to protect GLBT people. But when I think through what happened, I doubt I could have proved that was the reason. So laws don't always prevent discrimination. Both experiences were devastating at the time. But I was determined to come out before taking the next job and from then on, it was never an issue again.
Yes lem1955. Unfortunately discrimination still exists in some places but harder to prove.

I was fired once and it turned out great.
I had started with a tiny company and it grew to about five times its initial size during the 3-4 years I w*rked there. As a project manager I was the liaison between customers/prospective customers and the company. Our focus was on megacorps since they were the only ones who could afford our services (a very small niche).

The marketing folks had hooked a big fish and sent me out to handle the details. Very enjoyable until I discovered that they had promised an enormous deliverable and received a relatively small retainer to do the required investigation. It became apparent to me that what we had been paid would cover at most 5% of our cost to produce what they wanted. In fact, by that time we had spent most of the retainer and had accomplished nothing but a list of requirements.

So I confronted my marketing folks and told them I would have to explain the situation to the customer and give them the bad news. I was told that was impossible, and I should just keep stringing them along until they lost patience and offered a big additional payment to get the finished product.

I refused, and was told "Well, then this is your last day here."

Not really a problem, since I was offered a better job by another company the next week, and at least I could face myself in the mirror. It came as no surprise that the little company went out of business about two years later.

One interesting side note is that that marketing guy went on to become a prominent venture capitalist.
Lesson learned: having integrity will get you places. Large companies may have those negative stories without consequences but it is bad for small companies to have no integrity or accountability. I also have to pay extra attention to what the marketing / sales promised to the customers. They want the deal so much sometimes they muddy the contract so PM and the delivery group has to handle it later.

Back
Top Bottom