Help me make a kayak cart

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
I recently bought an inflatable kayak and I also have a composite kayak. I would like a lightweight two wheeled cart to drag them down to the water. Either kayak can be carried, but the composite is a bit heavy (I often just drag it) and the inflatable is too big and bulky for me to carry when inflated and really shouldn't be dragged.

Buying a cart looks too expensive. Simple, and light weight is best. One that breaks down so I can stash it in the yaks is best. Cheap is best. A couple of wheels, something for the back of the yak to sit on above the wheels, and some straps.

I am not an engineer. Help me design a cart. Please?

Maybe not, but for some reason $60 seemed kind of expensive. I was thinking some kind of milk crate (have) or pvc (have some), and cheap wheel contraption.

Last edited:
Martha,

Have you tried your local craigslist? Sometime you can pick up a good used one for less than the cost of building one yourself.

Sam

Here's the canoe "cart" I made years ago. Used training wheels and scrap lumber. Zero cost. It slides onto one end, and attaches with a bungee. Works fine.

img_775556_0_fefca557ea9a8d2d49219947a932ae92.jpg

img_775556_1_75b4af20eb417c4f8a16a1cd0d9c66e0.jpg

TAl's is good from the cheap perspective. There are issues other than price. I have one I bought for @$60 and it straps on under the kayak, I have dual wheels which help in sand. But the nice thing is that I can disassemble it and it will fit in the kayak and go with me.
So the questions are how much do you want to spend, how heavy will the total weight be, do you expect to encounter sand or soft mud? If you expect sand or soft mud you need balloon type tires. One easy way to go for price and weight is to buy a cheap used golf cart and strap the boat & bags on.

Maybe not, but for some reason $60 seemed kind of expensive. I was thinking some kind of milk crate (have) or pvc (have some), and cheap wheel contraption.

There isn't much you can make cheaper than $60. Buy the cart already! :)

ha

Al, I love your cart. Cheap and easy enough for me to make, if I can scare up some wheels. (Old golf cart idea is good--dang I through the one old one we had away.) The training wheels are fab. However, Yakers has a point, those wheels aren't going through sand.

Okay, damnit, I bought the $60 one from Amazon. it looks like it will break down easy to store in the boats plus the tires are at least of moderate size.

Okay, damnit, I bought the $60 one from Amazon. it looks like it will break down easy to store in the boats plus the tires are at least of moderate size.

I really think that was the smart decision, even though it may not have been what you initially wanted to do. It looks like it will probably suit your needs and really, $60 is not much these days.

Heck, a few months ago I spent more than that filling the tank of my Solara. :(

Thanks for the reminder W2R. :) I have been at home so much that I have only filled my gas (diesel) tank twice since last September so I can just look at it as a saved tank of gas. :)

My timing was good, they are now $70 on Amazon.

Here's the canoe "cart" I made years ago. Used training wheels and scrap lumber. Zero cost. It slides onto one end, and attaches with a bungee. Works fine.

img_775975_0_fefca557ea9a8d2d49219947a932ae92.jpg

img_775975_1_75b4af20eb417c4f8a16a1cd0d9c66e0.jpg

I like the cart T Al.
I was thinking of making one last year. Finally dicided to buy. Being able to get the balloon tires for cheap was the issue that caused me capitulation. Bought mine from REI for less than $100.

Free

Back
Top Bottom