anyone pick up golf after avoiding it for years?

Franklin

Recycles dryer sheets
I am 67 and DW is 61. For many years we avoided golf as it was too time consuming. So, after retirement one of my regrets was not playing golf with my two children (who love golf). Knowing I might keep saying no, we joined a club, bought a cart, got all the new equipment, and hired a coach. Everyday we now find time to at least put a club in hand for at least an hour. We started pretty badly but now are making tons of progress. We have committed to giving it a year before deciding further investment. So far we are loving it. It is most humbling but we see great progress. So, tell me your story and please share any advice and encouragement if you have been on this journey late in life.

We don't even have a handicap yet but are having fun getting there. Everyone we meet on the course are quite open to helping, Both of us are athletic but golf is more of a mental game than we expected.

Would love to hear your story.

I’ve golfed for years - decades. Never any good. Most of that time 120 for 18 was common. Now I get closer to 100 but find it hard to consistently break 100. The main thing I learned early on is that good golfers don’t care how well you golf, they care about pace of play. Keep a ball or two in your pocket and keep moving. There’s even been time when I just had a terrible round and have just picked up my ball for a hole or two. They don’t care. They just don’t want you holding them up.

I’m thinking about some golf tec lessons this year. I really need a straight drive that will carry about 150 yards. The rest of my game isn’t too bad, but if I don’t hit the fairway off the tee, my score shoots up quickly. Bogey golf is 90. I’d take that all day.

I’ve golfed for years - decades. Never any good. Most of that time 120 for 18 was common. Now I get closer to 100 but find it hard to consistently break 100. The main thing I learned early on is that good golfers don’t care how well you golf, they care about pace of play. Keep a ball or two in your pocket and keep moving. There’s even been time when I just had a terrible round and have just picked up my ball for a hole or two. They don’t care. They just don’t want you holding them up.

I’m thinking about some golf tec lessons this year. I really need a straight drive that will carry about 150 yards. The rest of my game isn’t too bad, but if I don’t hit the fairway off the tee, my score shoots up quickly. Bogey golf is 90. I’d take that all day.
I may be bad but I'm slow!:)

I am 67 and DW is 61. For many years we avoided golf as it was too time consuming. So, after retirement one of my regrets was not playing golf with my two children (who love golf). Knowing I might keep saying no, we joined a club, bought a cart, got all the new equipment, and hired a coach. Everyday we now find time to at least put a club in hand for at least an hour. We started pretty badly but now are making tons of progress. We have committed to giving it a year before deciding further investment. So far we are loving it. It is most humbling but we see great progress. So, tell me your story and please share any advice and encouragement if you have been on this journey late in life.

We don't even have a handicap yet but are having fun getting there. Everyone we meet on the course are quite open to helping, Both of us are athletic but golf is more of a mental game than we expected.

Would love to hear your story.

I used to golf quite a bit in the 90's. (To clarify--the 1990's, but yes I mostly shot in the 90's too.) Then a lot of other people decided to start golfing. Prices went up. Courses became crowded. It was tough to get tee times. I learned unless I was golfing at least once a week, I was never going to get better. I gave up on the game. As your thread title states, I've been avoiding it for years.

I'm looking to retire soon and I'd like to take up golfing again. I'll have to get outfitted again with all new stuff although I figure my club cart is still good. I'm encouraged by your experience.

Last edited:
I played regularly from age 10 through my early 40’s, played varsity golf 3 years in high school. Then I got the sailboat racing bug and completely quit golf for 15 years. Several years after I retired, I sold our fifth and final sailboat in 2017, and picked up golf again, and I play 3 times/week now.

It did not take that long to get my game back in decent shape again. In fact back in June at age 69 I shot the best 18 hole score of my life - beating my previous best score set when I was 19 years old. Only took me 50 years, with a 15 year hiatus, to better my former best score.

OTOH I have been waiting for 56 years and counting for my 2nd hole-in-one… :cool:

My only “advice and encouragement,”
  • golf will always be humbling no matter how good you get, or don’t - so don’t let that dampen your enjoyment, but…
  • …you can improve at almost any age (above),
  • If all I cared about was the golf itself, I’d have gotten bored with it years ago. I enjoy the golf itself, just being outdoors and the camaraderie in equal measure. YMMV

Last edited:
I started playing at around 12 years old. I continued for decades and quit at age 65 when I had a hip replaced. I laid off for 12 years after that and after hip replacement #2, I decided to start back up again (2021) with friends mostly in their 70's.

It took a while to get my mojo back, but at 80 I usually shoot in the mid 80's, which is not like the good 'ol days. :D (but still very acceptable)

Besides being much older, my distance off the tee has gotten shorter. But the iron shots are still my strength, especially my three wedges.

One of my friends who is 76, is working on playing the top 100 courses in the U.S. (public and private) and he is ~ 75 % there. He still shoots in the 70's (not from the back tees, of course). He's gone a few months per year after scheduling golf outings in different parts of the U.S. The pro at Carlton Woods (Woodlands, TX - his home course) gets him on some great courses.

Actually gave up golf for Pickleball. Much more enjoyable for me even though I was roughly a 90 shot level golfer.
Just more pleasure and way more exercise for me.

I quit 30+ years ago when the only person I had to golf with was no longer available, and my clubs got stolen at the course while we were in the 19th hole.

I was never any good at ti and there is no golf course less than an hour away. So.....

I started playing at 13 and now at 69 I'm starting to slow down a bit. Not having physical problems just starting to lose a little interest in the game. I'm sure when Spring comes around I'll be ready to play some but when it gets hot my interest level will retreat again.

I played regularly from age 10 through my early 40’s, played varsity golf 3 years in high school. Then I got the sailboat racing bug and completely quit golf for 15 years. Several years after I retired, I sold our fifth and final sailboat in 2017, and picked up golf again, and I play 3 times/week now.

It did not take that long to get my game back in decent shape again. In fact back in June at age 69 I shot the best 18 hole score of my life - beating my previous best score set when I was 19 years old. Only took me 50 years, with a 15 year hiatus, to better my former best score.

OTOH I have been waiting for 56 years and counting for my 2nd hole-in-one… :cool:

My only “advice and encouragement,”
  • golf will always be humbling no matter how good you get, or don’t - so don’t let that dampen your enjoyment, but…
  • …you can improve at almost any age (above),
  • If all I cared about was the golf itself, I’d have gotten bored with it years ago. I enjoy the golf itself, just being outdoors and the camaraderie in equal measure. YMMV

All good advice. I play pickle also and thats DW favorite and maybe 1 day a week. My pickle coach is $25 hour but my golf coach (supposedly one of the best in the county) is $150 per hour. Given that cost I am now hitting the range solo! Y'all are so right, it's just for fun and I am trying not to keep up with the more experienced players whom most have years on me and hit tons better. My goal is to play with my kid decently when they visit every month or so. I told DW that maybe learning bridge may be more economical. In retirement I plan to try all those things that I said no to for all those working years.

We live on a golf course now. I bought a bag of sticks on craigslist for $30, that's the extent of my investment. I sometimes go out after dinner to pitch and putt on the 3rd green. It sure is a pretty green, with beachy sand around the front of it and a big tree guarding the right side.

I'm being honest when I say I don't like the game that much. The Scotsmen made the hole too small. I often imagine the hole to be the size of a basketball hoop (or even a hockey net). The game is much more enjoyable that way.

Robin Williams did a wonderful routine about golf, but goes way over par on F-bombs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you...ate=ive&vld=cid:83e17d38,vid:14NQIq4SrmY,st:0

The company that I worked for had a 6-lesson group golf package which we signed up for in my early 30s. Then occasionally through the years I would "play" a round or two, but terribly. I could not hit a ball across water. Fast forward, I met my now husband in late 2000s and he had been a golfer his whole life. In around 2013, we bought a set for me and started taking lessons and still played terribly. We were still working, so it was more of a weekend thing, at the driving range and occasionally tried to play a round.

When we retired in 2016, we played once a week and finally in 2019, we rejoined our country club, which we were members from 2014 to 2016. From that point onwards, we played alot of golf. I looked back at my handicap in 2016, it was 54. My handicap is now 23, and consistently shooting in the low to mid 90s. I play golf about 4 times a week now, and play at a lot of golf courses. For instance, this week (and for a month) we are in Palm Desert and we are golfing 4 to 5 days a week as well. It is gratifying. My husband is a 6 handicap and I will never be as good as him but I have come a long way.

Last edited:
I played a little golf in HS but it seemed too time consuming during my work years. After ER 19 years ago, I took it up for a few years. I enjoyed it, but never got truly hooked so I quit again after about 7 years. I just bought inexpensive clone clubs from Pine Meadow and was happy with them. I never got into the full monte.

I'm a big fan of Dave Pelz's books, especially his Short Game Bible. He's an engineer so he took a facts and data approach to analyzing how the pros played and then he developed techniques to make it easier to have a consistent short game. But, you still have to practice his method regularly and that's where I flunked out of school! Apparently I enjoy playing golf, but I lack the desire to put in the practice necessary to get any better. I was never an athlete at any point in my life, and the golf swing is a hard thing to master, so now I just play a few times a year.

I'm glad that you and your DW enjoy playing golf together. If I had a golf buddy who lived nearby and liked to walk the course, as I do, I would almost certainly play more often.

I am just the opposite. I started playing golf at a very young age and continued to play into my 50's. I abruptly stopped (can't even remember why) and haven't played a round of golf since 2012. I found it to be too time consuming and I lost my patience with the game sine I was slowly playing worse. I feel bad since my grandson has taken up the game and he is pretty good at at. I have never played with him but have been to pretty much all of his tournaments. I hope one day I will get that spark back and want to play again!

The key to enjoying golf is to play fast and play with other fast players. My girlfriend and I play 18 holes in about 2 hours 20 minutes. My husband and I finish in about 2 hours 30 minutes. The problem is being stuck behind slow golfers or have playing parters who are slow, where they are never ready to hit a ball or they take a million practice swings. Hence, we like to book early tee times.

When the slow golfers protest that they are playing under regulation, i.e. 4 hrs + rounds depending on the course, I just remind them that they have to keep up with the group in front. I am not popular with the slow players and I don't like to golf with them either. I have good friends whom I avoid golfing with. When they want to join us, I remind them that they are still good people, just terrible golfers. :)

I play in the ladies group every week at the club (sort of mini tournaments), and the golf pros know to pair the fast players together and go out first.

Last edited:
I took up golf at about 25 to mainly socialize with co-workers and family. Same for DW. When we moved for another job opportunity in our early 30's, we soon gave it up due to the high cost for green fees.

Fast forward to 2019 (30 years) we moved to our 55+ community in Florida which is probably considered the golf capitol of the world. We didn't necessarily plan to pick up golf again, but soon found out golf is a great way to meet people and socialize. So we bought the necessary golf cart and clubs and off we went. It was the best thing we ever did. We now have a great large group of friends that we often socialize with, even outside of golf activities.

I am not a good golfer but am very much considered middle of the pack with the other players in our golf groups. I have no desire to take lessons to improve my game, I am in it to hang out with my friends.

My advice, (only to myself), is don't take the game too seriously, have as much fun as possible, and remember that one good shot you probably have each round. That keeps you coming back for more.

I took up golf at about 25 to mainly socialize with co-workers and family. Same for DW. When we moved for another job opportunity in our early 30's, we soon gave it up due to the high cost for green fees.

Fast forward to 2019 (30 years) we moved to our 55+ community in Florida which is probably considered the golf capitol of the world. We didn't necessarily plan to pick up golf again, but soon found out golf is a great way to meet people and socialize. So we bought the necessary golf cart and clubs and off we went. It was the best thing we ever did. We now have a great large group of friends that we often socialize with, even outside of golf activities.

I am not a good golfer but am very much considered middle of the pack with the other players in our golf groups. I have no desire to take lessons to improve my game, I am in it to hang out with my friends.

My advice, (only to myself), is don't take the game too seriously, have as much fun as possible, and remember that one good shot you probably have each round. That keeps you coming back for more.

great story and advice. We now live in a community with 7 courses within a cart ride away ( don't have a reason not to play). Most of my time is on the range daily working out the bad habits. Anyone interested in sharing their handicap. I am so new to this sport that I don't have a validated handicap. DW's handicap is her insistence to practice with a solo cup of wine!!

Played in H.S. and have continued to play a round every month or so. In H.S. our go-to place was the municipal course near the house. Course Marshall was cool and let H.S. kids on for free as long as we behaved! Good times.

I'd go once or twice a year with my brother. He was an excellent golfer.
By the 6th hole I thought I'd lose my mind with boredom.

I was invited to play a few times in Japan though...one of those $2MM a year corporate membership clubs...a different experience to say the least.

I played golf for a few year from age 22- 27 then life and career got in the way- plus I found out I was way better at fly fishing and spent my off days on the water. I did enjoy golf, being outdoors, talking with friends, etc..
Fast forward: We just retired at age 59/60 and decided to take golf lessons. Started last November and have been swinging in the garage for the winter months. She had never swung a club and is making great progress. Hopefully we will be ready to actually play a a game this spring or summer. My parents did the same thing - took lessons at a ge 60 - 62 and Dad is still playing at age 89 , Mom stopped last year due to some arthritis issues.

We figure it's a great way to meet people and get some time outdoors.

The social aspect of golf can be great for retirees-

My father was a golfer. My mom picked it up later in life, just passable skill-wise.
Upon retirement they moved, and joined a couples league there.
They made new friends through the couples league, and it became a big part of their social life in the early years of their retirement. The 20 or so players would go to dinner at a local restaurant after the weekly matches, and they got together at other times.

When first REd, I tagged along on one of DWs sales meetings. It was at The Greenbrier in West Virginia which I guess you golfers would know about. She signed me up for a golf lesson with their #1 golf pro.

I was not doing well and he was getting frustrated with me...he was used to working with already good players.
After about a half hour I said " how much more time do we have here?"
He said "about 20 more minutes "
I said " tell you what, here's $20, why don't we call it a day right now "
" yes sir "
I went back to the bar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom