Here goes nothing....

If it doesn't work out, Freebird, at least you got out of East Nowhere. Then you rent an RV and come visit all of us for a few weeks while you figure out where you want to live. We're your real extended family, you know.

How sweet! :flowers:

Rent an RV? Heck no, I would hire myself out as the galley steward, meteorologist, navigator and digital equipment troubleshooter on a sailing ship or private yacht. I will be close to the ocean. :D

The only thing I would like to add is live with him awhile before you decide to relocate . All the little quirks come out that were cute when dating but are now just annoying .
The annoying end would be from me. Ever try to live with an Engineer? :nonono:

:LOL:

The boring logical side says listen to the "reality checkers" here on the board...
You two sound like rational, self sufficient adult individuals - both aware of discussing the business end of things if you were to ever marry (survivor benefits, dependent benefits, etc.) Living alone is wonderful -but living with the right someone else is even better!

This OPPORTUNITY sounds like just what you need at this point. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I wish you the best! Have fun - you only live once!

This nails it. Look ya gotta do what ya gotta do. When DH and I hooked up I have to admit we were raggady. Me - never married, middle aged with a life best described as a rut. Him - three time veteran of the divorce wars estranged from his kids, a rocky past and a failing career. Both of us in debt with jobs we hated. We won't even get into all of the cultural diffrence stuff. This marriage should not be working out but it is.....splendidly. Life is full of risk but your a grown up. You have seen a thing or two and have survived one of the toughest experiences you can go through. Losing a spouse. It think you can hang. Go forth and be happy.:clap::clap::clap:

TY for the good wishes. :flowers:

I am listening LOUD and CLEAR. You have NO IDEA how well I am listening.
Mr Boston knows I have this thread running. He loved the idea. :D

We are hunkering down here for the winter, fixing up the house (interior cosmetics) and seeing what comes with the spring. We are sharing costs 50-50. It is a tremendous arrangement financially as well as the lovey-dovey part. :flowers::flowers:

Not knowing the two of you we can only guess so much. 2cents from a fellow engineer:
It sounds like you're doing a good job of looking for the logic and and gotchas of this move.
As long as you keep the eyes wide open, if you see a chance for happiness, go out and
grab it with both hands! If I were in your shoes, I'd be asking myself "Would I always regret
not trying this?" Some things are worth doing even if they don't work out.

Freebird, you have so much (vastly so) more life experience than me, I would be totally remiss in trying to tell you anything! You got what it takes between the old ears to know your mind AND your heart.

And hey, there's always the Carolinas if you get tired of Yankee-ville--we'll be (kinda) nice to you! :) I am just so happy for you to be moving in a new direction and leaving what sounds like a depressing and cold place to live.

And hey, there's always the Carolinas if you get tired of Yankee-ville--we'll be (kinda) nice to you! :) I am just so happy for you to be moving in a new direction and leaving what sounds like a depressing and cold place to live.

I already told DW its either SC or NC for us in retirement. I did like Charleston, but the area around Greenville is more like us, although the area around Lake Lure and Chimney Rock could be quite easy to get used to..................:D

FDude, Greenville is probably a better value, too. And not so far from the beach. However, I'd never consider the NC mtns--it is too cold and there are [-]too many Yankee transplants[/-], oh, wait, never mind. Yeah, that's not a bad place either. :whistle:

FDude, Greenville is probably a better value, too. And not so far from the beach. However, I'd never consider the NC mtns--it is too cold and there are [-]too many Yankee transplants[/-], oh, wait, never mind. Yeah, that's not a bad place either. :whistle:
a-HA, the truth comes out. :cool:

I'm just teasin' y'all.

Hmmm...do I need a special license to say "y'all" :confused:?

Actually I have a great time when I am down south. I get the Noo Yawker thing over with, usually get a good laugh, and then just act naturally, with manners and no ugly "but we don't do that up north" nonsense. Ptui!

Sounds like you've got all the bases covered, FB. Best wishes to you in this new adventure!

OK, I'll bite. Congratulations on the new relationship. And that's the issue: it is quite a new relationship if I'm not mistaken! How well do you know the Favorite Bostonian? Well enough, apparently, to sell your home and follow him, with him doing all the business planning. Is this the Freebird that we know and love?

Now let's do a risk assessment. What's the worst that could happen?
1. You can't sell your house and are financially in the hole. The advantage of this scenario is that you have somewhere to return to if the romance fails.
2. You do sell your house, move to New England, and hate it. What are you going to do then?
3. You sell your house, move to New England, and break up with Mr. Boston after you find he is a money chasing swindler and has been diddling your finances. Nasty lawsuit ensues. You are now both poor and miserable.
4. You sell your house, move to New England, and are treated horribly by the Boston "family". You are miserable, but not poor, so at least you can make your own way.

My big worry would be #3. FGS keep your finances separate and manage them yourself.

You did asked for the tough challenges, eh?

I read this the other day during my lunch at work. Meadbh put into words exactly what I was thinking, but was not courageous enough to write.

I was thinking that you are moving too fast. This is really pretty funny though, since I married my DH exactly 1 month from the day that we met and we have been married for 38 years now. The only difference is that we were both poor and had nothing to lose! I have definitely become more conservative the older I get and it is a good thing in one way and a not so good thing in another way. Life really is short and one can play it too safe sometimes.

I wish you much happiness and hope that everything works out for you. I hope that if I ever find myself a widow that I am as courageous as you are.

Yeah, Charleston tolerates Yankees, but that's about it. According to our carriage driver, its NOT the "Civil War", but one of the three following:

1)The War of NORTHERN AGGRESSION
2)The War Between THE STATES (Confederate and Union)
3)The TIME OF UNPLEASANTRIES (:confused:)

Yeah, Charleston tolerates Yankees, but that's about it. According to our carriage driver, its NOT the "Civil War", but one of the three following:

1)The War of NORTHERN AGGRESSION
2)The War Between THE STATES (Confederate and Union)
3)The TIME OF UNPLEASANTRIES (:confused:)

Wait, yeah, that's right, isn't it? That's what our history books said. Oh, and your belly button is where a Yankee shot you! :D

j/k--and everyone can say y'all, but you've got to agree to like grits first. :flowers:

Sung to the (Northern) Battle Hymn of the Republic

We'll bury all the yankees in the Mississippi mud
We will bury all the yankees in the Mississippi mud
We will bury all the yankees in the Mississippi mud
And the South will reign supreme!

Dex, how bizarre--I never knew there was a genre called alt-history to begin with. Look, we don't need any help here in SC looking like a freakshow as we can do that pretty well without an alternate end to the war. LOL!

And, Free, sorry to hijack your thread with our Dixiecrat chatter! :)

Our choices right now are either MA or NH. He has family there, and I want to be within driving distance of the ocean.

Way too limited -- you're not thinking outside the box.

Unless you like winter weather, Oregon or Washington coast is the place for you. Unless you don't like fog.

Wait, yeah, that's right, isn't it? That's what our history books said. Oh, and your belly button is where a Yankee shot you! :D

j/k--and everyone can say y'all, but you've got to agree to like grits first. :flowers:

Forgot to tell ya, my family lineage is from Mississippi, so I guess I was a Southerner before I was a Yankee...........;)

So, I love grits, deep-fried alligator, gumbo, Tabasco, and most everything a "good ole" Southern boy should. When I visited my aunt and uncle in Greenville, they were amazed at how I could turn off and on my Southern accent..........:)

I read this the other day during my lunch at work. Meadbh put into words exactly what I was thinking, but was not courageous enough to write.

I was thinking that you are moving too fast. This is really pretty funny though, since I married my DH exactly 1 month from the day that we met and we have been married for 38 years now. The only difference is that we were both poor and had nothing to lose! I have definitely become more conservative the older I get and it is a good thing in one way and a not so good thing in another way. Life really is short and one can play it too safe sometimes.

I wish you much happiness and hope that everything works out for you. I hope that if I ever find myself a widow that I am as courageous as you are.

Thank you for the compliment for courage :blush: and good wishes. :flowers:

I have a lifelong habit of landing on my feet. I understand the risks involved here. So does Mr Boston. We are both talking about the "what if's" openly and directly. I have actually met someone who is more blunt than I am. :whistle:

I need to define "fast". In my experience, 6 hours was the time lapse between my secure married life and widowhood. All else pales by comparison. I do not intend to be grim here, but it is what it is.

We are brainstorming in real time. The final decision is mine. It is not a case of move or lose him. We can always visit. I am the one pushing the move.

No pressure is being applied. I see a window of opportunity, and if my past life experience is any guide, I use those to my advantage.

Way too limited -- you're not thinking outside the box.

Unless you like winter weather, Oregon or Washington coast is the place for you. Unless you don't like fog.

Excellent! Believe it or not, I have been thinking about relocating for a long time. I have been reading the posts about cities and climate and doing my own "list" for at least 2 years. Interesting considering the timeline of this year's events, hmmm? ;)

This move will serve a lot of purposes for both of us. But I will not post those on a public site. :nonono:

Frankly, I'm beginning to worry about Mr Boston. Who is looking out for him?

After all, he's just getting ready to move with (in her own words) a sassafrassing tough talkin' little cuss, who also describes herself (just in this thread) as an adventurer, a chameleon, annoying and a free bird! Oh, and she's an engineer to boot! And not the marrying kind.

Anyone else worried about Mr. Boston?

All the best to you Freebird - you'll be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom