Wayfair Now Horrible?!

I wasn't complaining about the items quality. It was about the deceptive advertising of whether or not the item was in stock, removal of negative reviews, and lack of communication regarding changes in shipping times/delays. Not just a day or two in shipping delays, closer to three months delay. I have purchased quality items from Wayfair in the past as well with no complaints.

You get what you pay for, Wayfair is cheap for a reason. If you need furniture for an infrequently used room, Wayfair might be a good option and all you need. If you’re buying for a high use, high traffic room you can’t expect something inexpensive to last very long.

This is the case with a majority of their items, but they also sell "normal" end stuff. I'm eying a Bernhardt coffee table, because their price + shipping (free) is better than anywhere else. I've seen it in person at Baers and Bloomingdales, but both want to charge $200 for delivery, on top of a higher base price.

It's too heavy and potentially breakable (glass top) for me to consider a local pickup.

Ofc...Wayfair says it's back ordered...

We bought several high end stuff through WayFair through the years and have been pleased with the quality. We didn't have delivery issues either. So I think WayFair is having alot of recent issues, including the massive layoffs as announced.

My wife has purchased a few furniture items from Wayfair. When they arrived, the quality each time was less that what we expected. We don't buy from them any more.

When I moved 20 months ago I did use Wayfair. For case goods. I will not buy upholstery unless I can sit on it. It’s just too important to take a chance on. I did buy some bookcases but I went with a brand name that I had used before in other office furniture. Bush. I would consider these bookcases light duty. And I have no thoughts that when I go the kids aren’t gonna chuck these out. Totally not heritage furniture. And I’m OK with that because I wanted something light and airy and that’s what I got. Like this, but not this. In my memory, what I bought was on a closeout because they were less than 100 bucks each. https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/17-stories-folkert-709-h-x-315-w-etagere-bookcase-large-rustic-industrial-bookshelf-for-home-decor-display-w000705756.html?categoryid=1780385&placement=1&slot=1&sponsoredid=cfed8f61d4aeaa70d38adbbb30ddc6562799ce2815755c57f815af6004d6344d&_txid=I%2FWEwmW6uH059c3SnjT9Ag%3D%3D&isB2b=0&auctionId=3642334a-5fa7-4c56-83f0-430652a55678

The biggest thing with Wayfair and I think there’s another one of these furniture places and Amazon. What is happening is a manufacturer— almost always in China, makes an item. Let’s say a desk. They then shop this desk to various resellers who slap their name on it, and their own price point. One might call it the Henderson desk and charge $350 for it another place might sell it for 299 and call it the Jason desk. And so on. So let’s say you like this desk as the Henderson desk, take a screenshot of the picture, or print it whatever and keep looking for it. Trust me — none of the resellers will purchase that desk, make it and take new photos. They will take your order, order it from the original manufacturer, slap some of their paperwork on the front so it looks like it’s their company… and send it to you. I have yet to find the same item via another reseller that didn’t use the manufacturers pictures, and schematics.

So read the reviews with a jaundiced eye, I’ve actually stopped reading five star reviews I read three star reviews. I think one and five star reviews are just lies, and remember if you’re buying a piece of furniture that’s under a certain price point you are buying something that IKEA might not sell. With furniture you really do get what you pay for. I fell in love with that industrial rustic look, and I got it everywhere in my house. It is inexpensive, IKEA makes a really nice set of it called Fjallbo.

But I knew my desk was going to be a heavily used item. I spend several hours a week doing my typical financial paperwork and research for my genealogy. I did not want a $400 desk, nor did I want a $2000 heavy wood monstrosity. To anyone who loves those. I went with a mid priced Whittier Wood McKenzie desk. On legs. So it still has that lighter look. And I got it on sale. But I still think it was like 1500 bucks. But it’s wood, real wood. I have a few other pieces of Whittier would McKenzie and they have lasted years.

This is the case with a majority of their items, but they also sell "normal" end stuff. I'm eying a Bernhardt coffee table, because their price + shipping (free) is better than anywhere else. I've seen it in person at Baers and Bloomingdales, but both want to charge $200 for delivery, on top of a higher base price.

It's too heavy and potentially breakable (glass top) for me to consider a local pickup.

Ofc...Wayfair says it's back ordered...
Yes, I should have left it at you get what you pay for. While there are tons of inexpensive items on WayFair, worth what you pay - there are also some high end items at high prices that are also worth what you pay. I tend to think of Wayfair as mostly cheap stuff, decent for light use, but they have some better merch as well.

Last fall we moved 1500 miles and sold most of our furniture before moving. We got here and did spring for a Tempur-Pedic bed frame and mattress and bought a very nice sofa and chair from a bricks and mortar furniture store.

Everything else came from Wayfair. We bought 2 office desks, a curio cabinet, a file cabinet, vanity table, dresser, floor lamp, ceiling fan and a guest room bed and a media cabinet. None of it was expensive. It was all fine. A couple of items had very short day or 2 day delays, mostly due to FedEx.

No, this is not expensive stuff. I wanted stuff for these items that if I didn't like them or my taste or needs changed I wouldn't mind getting rid of them. I don't expect these to last 20 years but I didn't want that. For example, my office desk is fine (really) but I sort of wish I had bought one that was deeper. I am not replacing it now since it really is nice looking and works. But, you know, it was $119. If I decide I want a little different desk style I don't mind replacing this one. (My last desk set cost over $7000 and I was loathe to replace it even when I no longer needed a lot of it).

I had no issues with Wayfair. FWIW, I found the reviews helpful. I only considered items with at leat a 4 star average and a goodly number of reviews. I mostly paid attentions to reviews that had pictures or were negative reviews. It really helped. For ceiling fans I liked that the listing would say if they were UL Listed or not.

I am sure that people do have bad experiences and I am not trying to take away from that. I just didn't have any with any of my orders.

Back
Top Bottom