Hey, Cool Sleepers! What Blanket?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The weather is turning here in Minnesota from cold nights to warm and hot nights. I am looking to take the winter comforter off the bed and go with only sheets and a lightweight blanket for the spring/summer. I'm a hot sleeper, but I want to be a cool sleeper like so many here on ER.org.

I followed the most recent sheet set thread and following the advice of several of the cool sleepers on that thread I'm buying 100% cotton percale sheets.

So what kind of fabric blanket should I purchase? What brand?

Bed is king sized pillow top about 12" thick.

Last edited:
For winter we have a down duvet; summer, we have a light-weight silk duvet. Love it as it keeps us cool. IIRC I bought it years ago at one of Costco's road shows.

Did you check out bamboo sheets? That's what we have had for a couple years. Go to a store and touch them.

We use a very lightweight down comforter year round. It's warm enough in winter and cool enough in summers. It's quilted in 3" squares.

Did you check out bamboo sheets? That's what we have had for a couple years. Go to a store and touch them.

No, but I did check out bamboo blankets. They are reportedly very cool in the summer. At least half of the reviews report that they shrink significantly, so much that they no longer cover the bed. Some reported buying king sized bamboo blankets, washing them and thereby shrinking them to fit on their queen sized beds.

Not a cool blanket but warm sheets. We recently bought a set of fleece sheets for the cabin. Warm enough for my wife and I usually sleep with just the top sheet. But very nice not to climb into a cold bed, the fleece warms up quickly from body heat.

Lighter weight alpaca wool blanket. Not cheap but the warmth to weight ratio is high.

In winter, we use a regular sheet plus a flannel sheet as our blanket. We keep a comforter around just in case, but only needed it once this year (too lazy to get up and close the windows.) As the weather turns warmer, it can get too warm at night and then the flannel gets put away and we only use the regular sheet. As long as the trades are blowing, we're never really too hot. Sometimes, the trades quit in the middle of the night and we wake up to kick off the flannel. YMMV

We have a progression over the course of the season, from coldest to hottest:

1. Down comforter, flannel sheet, cotton sheet.
2. Quilt, flannel sheet, cotton sheet.
3. Quilt, cotton sheet.
4. Flannel sheet, cotton sheet
5. Cotton sheet.

Back
Top Bottom