Buying sheets

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My current bedsheets have finally reached their end of life. I haven't bought sheets for ages, and I was surprised by 1) the price rise and 2) the choices. I want to remedy the former by buying from Costco, which carries a limited selection of high-quality sheets. But the latter - when did buying sheets become complicated?

Organic vs. regular - I know cotton is one of the most chemically-treated crops, but I also know that most organic cotton labels are worthless. And I don't want to pay 10x the cost for some specialty label.

The 680 thread count on their Kirkland brand - isn't this overkill? Who needs such tightly woven fibers.

I'm intrigued by the Jennifer Adams microfiber sheets - but, really, polyester? Is it as good as the reviews say?

So many different materials - I was never a sheet snob, and just bought middle of the road cotton percale sheets (I like them cool). But maybe something is better. Have any of you bought sheets recently?

My current bedsheets have finally reached their end of life. I haven't bought sheets for ages, and I was surprised by 1) the price rise and 2) the choices. I want to remedy the former by buying from Costco, which carries a limited selection of high-quality sheets. But the latter - when did buying sheets become complicated?

Organic vs. regular - I know cotton is one of the most chemically-treated crops, but I also know that most organic cotton labels are worthless. And I don't want to pay 10x the cost for some specialty label.

The 680 thread count on their Kirkland brand - isn't this overkill? Who needs such tightly woven fibers.

I'm intrigued by the Jennifer Adams microfiber sheets - but, really, polyester? Is it as good as the reviews say?

So many different materials - I was never a sheet snob, and just bought middle of the road cotton percale sheets (I like them cool). But maybe something is better. Have any of you bought sheets recently?

Trying to find "middle of the road cotton percale sheets" these days is difficult. I used to stock up when Target had a sale, as the quality was decent. Also Macy's, but that was over 10 years ago in the last recession. I hate microfiber (polyester) because it is not cool and absorbent like cotton.

I would look at Target if you are willing to go into a store. Then other places that carry cotton. Don't be fooled by fancy names and alleged thread count. Thinner threads wear faster. Good luck and please post if you find good sheets at a reasonable price!

Just went through the sheet buying process twice in the past year--once for DW and I, and once for Christmas gift for our son moving out of state and buying bed.

First of all, how thick is your mattress? This will determine a lot of your options. We have a thick pillow top mattress, 13" thick. I had to make sure to get deep-pocketed bottom sheets. Read the reviews because a lot of sheets claim to have deep pockets but customers complain they didn't fit well.

Thread count is overrated and in many cases overstated. 1,000 thread count? Yeah, right. There is a point of diminishing returns on thread count, which I put at 600. In my younger days I was happy with 200 count.

After extensive research I ended up with J.C. Penney Wrinkle Guard 400TC Cotton Sheet Set for our bed. I got them on sale for $79.00 (king size.) Very satisfied with them. I like them much better than a more expensive set of Macy's Charter Club sheets I got a couple years ago.

I've had good luck with sheets I bought at Target years ago and I had picked out some sheets in the same brand at Target but the color selection in king size was limited when I was shopping.

My son wanted Egyptian cotton so I got him Mayfair Linen 100% Egyptian Cotton Sheets on Amazon (California King.) And also Premium Giza - 600 Thread Count Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set from downcotton.com. He loves both sets and says they are very cool at night (he lives in Phoenix.)

Bottom line is you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent set of sheets.

I went to a hotel and was very impressed with how soft their sheets were. They resembled the old (worn) cotton sheets my dad has. I looked it up on their web site and they said they were bamboo. I’ll be looking into those next time. Until then, I’d buy Kirkland brand you were looking at. At least with Costco, if you don’t like them you can return them and you will have learned what you don’t prefer.

There is an inexpensive cotton organic line at Costco, Pure Earth - they fit deep mattresses and are quite cheap, very soft (under $50 for a king set). I tried the Kirkland set once but they never got soft to me.

Then there is Frette, if you can enjoy $1000 sheets.

And everything in between. They are also one of the products in the DTC rage with a lot of new brands with ubiquitous advertising, like Boll & Branch, and Cozy Earth. Always search for a coupon for any of those, at least 20%.

I would never go poly or any of the "hydro" cotton stuff, I'm a bit of a fabric snob in that I don't like manmade stuff. Just doesn't breathe as well I find.

I usually stock up on Macy’s Charter Club Supima cotton 550 TC. They’re soft, silky, and very comfortable on our warm SoCal nights.

Right now you can pick up a 4-pc king set for $84 on sale.

Last edited:
We’ve tried Macy’s, Target, Costco and others for sheets. We’re happiest with Boll & Branch sheets. They are the softest sheets I’ve slept on and fit well. They are more expensive, but to me worth it. I do spend a third of my life on them.

A cotton/poly blend is used for avoiding wrinkles and for added longevity. When I was buying cotton/poly blend I would look for 80% cotton, 20% poly, or else 70/30. I was never bothered by the cotton/poly blend sheets being hot, but some people are.

My grandparents use to patch the sheets, we still have some at the cabin. Times were lean in the old days.

I won't bother with organic cotton sheets as I'm sure after being carefully grown, they are then processed with chemicals to make the cotton into threads to make the sheets. Maybe even sprayed with some insecticide before shipping to the USA.
I'll just wash them before using to rinse off any residual chemicals.

I'll be interested in good deals of quality sheets people post.

Most of our sheets we have bought at Costco, DH likes thick flannel sheets and I have found sets there. They start to pill a bit after several years, so I replace them, even though they work just fine.
We have one 600 thread count sateen cotton set from Costco that we have had for close to 10 years. It is the most comfortable sheet set I have ever used. Still looks good. I don't remember what brand they were, I know they were not Kirkland. I have not been able to find them since.
I have bought some at our local Fred Meyer (Kroger) for guest bedding, try to get 300+ thread count.
Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming to pick one out. Thread count? cotton? Cotton/poly? Bamboo? Etc.
Who knew there were so many different types of sheets?

Make sure wherever you purchase, has an easy and good return policy, just in case.

I usually stock up on Macy’s Charter Club Supima cotton 550 TC. They’re soft, silky, and very comfortable on our warm SoCal nights.

Right now you can pick up a 4-pc king set for $84 on sale.

Thanks for this - that's more or less what I'm trying to replace, and I've been very satisfied - I went ahead and grabbed this deal. I had thought the prices had zoomed up, but with this sale, the price was good.

Last edited:
I can't stand microfiber clothing. And sheets are even worse. They don't breathe. Definitely go with cotton.

Since the OP appears to be looking for bargains, this may not apply. We bought some linen sheets on a whim, and we’ll never buy cotton again. We have some very nice cotton sheets we can only stand to use in winter when we keep the house COLD at night, and they won’t be replaced. We’re completely sold on good linen sheets, Brooklinen and Snowe in our case.

As for bargain sheets, we all use sheets for about a third of every day, so being supremely comfortable is worth spending a little more IMO. YMMV

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/hot-sleeper-linen-sheets-omg-104155.html

Last edited:
Trying to find "middle of the road cotton percale sheets" these days is difficult. I used to stock up when Target had a sale, as the quality was decent. Also Macy's, but that was over 10 years ago in the last recession. I hate microfiber (polyester) because it is not cool and absorbent like cotton.

I would look at Target if you are willing to go into a store. Then other places that carry cotton. Don't be fooled by fancy names and alleged thread count. Thinner threads wear faster. Good luck and please post if you find good sheets at a reasonable price!

+1 - just bought terrific 100% percale cotton at Target last month for under $40 on a 20% off sale. Very happy. I can't stand poly, microfiber or any fabric that sleeps hot to me. These feel very cool - quite pleased.

Spent waaaay too much time searching for sheets though. Never getting those hours back! Most sheet sets I found were made to fit higher 14"+ mattresses and we have a smaller, older mattress.

Last edited:
We purchased Target's Performance Sheet Set last year. 100% cotton, 400 thread count, deep pocket corners. We like them a lot. They launder well, and feel durable and comfortable. Price is nice too, and they have a good selection of colors and prints.

+1 - just bought terrific 100% percale cotton at Target last month for under $40 on a 20% off sale. Very happy. I can't stand poly, microfiber or any fabric that sleeps hot to me. These feel very cool - quite pleased.

Spent waaaay too much time searching for sheets though. Never getting those hours back! Most sheet sets I found were made to fit higher 14"+ mattresses and we have a smaller, older mattress.

Do you recall the name? Target often sells two or three types of cotton sheets online. Have the older style mattress here as well.

We purchased Target's Performance Sheet Set last year. 100% cotton, 400 thread count, deep pocket corners. We like them a lot. They launder well, and feel durable and comfortable. Price is nice too, and they have a good selection of colors and prints.

We too love Target's sheets with the very deep pockets. With an adjustable bed, normal fitted sheets won't stay on when we raise the head.

My wife just bought a set of Mike Lindell's Giza Dream queen sheets for $39.95 online. They appear to be as nice and luxurious as he says in the TV ads.

Most of our sheets we have bought at Costco, DH likes thick flannel sheets and I have found sets there. They start to pill a bit after several years, so I replace them, even though they work just fine.
We have one 600 thread count sateen cotton set from Costco that we have had for close to 10 years. It is the most comfortable sheet set I have ever used. Still looks good. I don't remember what brand they were, I know they were not Kirkland. I have not been able to find them since.
I have bought some at our local Fred Meyer (Kroger) for guest bedding, try to get 300+ thread count.
Sometimes it is a bit overwhelming to pick one out. Thread count? cotton? Cotton/poly? Bamboo? Etc.
Who knew there were so many different types of sheets?

Make sure wherever you purchase, has an easy and good return policy, just in case.

A big thumbs-up for flannel.

we just bought a new set of sheets from MyPillow.com. we like them a lot! i've also heard good things about Redland Cotton sheets.

I just find it easier to buy cotton or cotton/polyester at Costco and the price is reasonable. I tried micofiber a few years ago and won't do that again.
I would like to try bamboo if I can find some that are cheap enough. I would also try hemp sheets for the same reason. Seems to me that the fibers would be longer lasting and make them a good value.

Cheers!

Do you recall the name? Target often sells two or three types of cotton sheets online. Have the older style mattress here as well.

300 Thread Count Organic Cotton Brushed Percale Sheet Set - Purity Home. They're on sale again, I believe. They still fit loose since they're made to fit a wide range of mattresses, but they have elastic all the way around vs just at the corners and we just did a lot of tucking. They stay reasonably put.

Back
Top Bottom