Hit by golf ball

Tryan, that was some shot. Glad to know you are not seriously injured. I wonder when one hits oneself, do golf insurance policies cover that?

Sorry to hear about your injury. I don't know about the insurance; but, please tell us you took the required two stroke penalty.

Tryan, that was some shot. Glad to know you are not seriously injured. I wonder when one hits oneself, do golf insurance policies cover that?

I presume you are referring to liability coverage?

Medical bills resulting from a self-inflicted golf ball would be covered under your health insurance policy.

I'm sure there's a clause in every homeowner's policy stating that you can't inflict damage upon yourself and then sue yourself under your umbrella/liability policy...otherwise, you'd see quite a few people take out $5MM umbrellas, then sue themselves for 'self-inflicted injuries', with various claims of damages.

Well at least you have someone else to blame .... I had a shot at the edge of the woods sitting on top of leaves (in the fall). Needed all I could get ... so it was a FULL swing. Well ... there was a ROCK directly in front of us (covered in leaves). Ball - and club - hit the said rock. Ball bounces back and hits my thigh just to the left of the family jewels. Left a bruise which took WEEKS to heal. Took a chunk out of my club too.

Worse yet, you incurred a stroke penalty when your ball in motion contacted you.

Worse yet, you incurred a stroke penalty when your ball in motion contacted you.

Sorry to disagree, but the penalty for getting hit by your own ball is TWO strokes (in stroke play). In match play the penalty is loss of the hole. The penalty includes the player or his equipment.

Sorry to disagree, but the penalty for getting hit by your own ball is TWO strokes (in stroke play). In match play the penalty is loss of the hole. The penalty includes the player or his equipment.

Time to get an updated rulebook.

Rule 19-2: Hitting Yourself (Penalty Reduced)

OLD: Prior to 2008, if a player hit a ball and it deflected off a tree or lip of a bunker and came back to hit the player, the penalty would be two strokes in stroke play or loss of hole in match play.

REVISED: Now the penalty for your own ball striking you, your partner, either of your caddies or any of your side's equipment will only be a one-stroke penalty in either stroke play or match play.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom