Exposed tree root removal

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
There is a tree (a neighbor says it's poplar, I have no idea) at the edge of the back yard that is becoming somewhat of a pain. The tree's roots have become exposed and are a hazard to the lawn mower blades and are already a trip hazard, and they're on a hill to boot. The tree was a "volunteer" when we first moved in and I regret not cutting it down then then. Oh well.

I don't care about harming the tree as it's days are numbered anyway. The trunk is partially rotted and will soon become a fall hazard to me while mowing. I'll probably hire out the removal of the tree because at 73, back, knee, and shoulder issues dictate that I show some sense and hire that out. Plus DW gets all anxious when I do stuff like that. Maybe I'll hire out the root removal too but the advice here is free and usually knowledgeable and experienced so I'll ask.

I've done a few cuts on the worst root with a reciprocating saw and it cuts through okay, but I guess there are roots underneath holding it to the ground. Complicating things is the rocky nature of the ground around here, with lots of shale rock. I've tried angling the blade of the reciprocating saw underneath the root but that didn't work - either the angle isn't enough or I hit rocks, which of course is hard on the blades.

I saw a youtube video in which a guy had success with an angle grinder and a concrete grinding wheel but I guess that was a different kind of wood because that didn't work here. It sort of ground away at the root but I could see it would take very long time at the rate it was going and it was clogging the grinding wheel. Clearly it was the wrong tool for that job.

So - any ideas of an easy way to get rid of surface tree roots, preferably involving the use of pixie dust or some such quick and easy method?

Photos of the tree and roots:

Attachments

• Tree root issue (1 of 6).jpg
    Tree root issue (1 of 6).jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Tree root issue (2 of 6).jpg
    Tree root issue (2 of 6).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Tree root issue (3 of 6).jpg
    Tree root issue (3 of 6).jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Tree root issue (4 of 6).jpg
    Tree root issue (4 of 6).jpg
    216 KB · Views: 54
  • Tree root issue (5 of 6).jpg
    Tree root issue (5 of 6).jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Tree root issue (6 of 6).jpg
    Tree root issue (6 of 6).jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 50
If you have a hose that will reach to it, you can wash away a lot of the dirt along side the root to make it easier to cut with a reciprocating saw then try a long 2x4 lever or use a jack and chain to lift it up from the dirt.

I can't think of an easy way.

Was going to suggest just what you did Walt. Went through the same game with a Maple root that decided to lift a panel of new sidewalk (*!@#). Same issues. Years ago I had an old 3/4 GMC truck with monster strong bumper. Chained 6' up on the Chinese Elm trunk and jerked away on it. Used an axe on the roots as they loosened and got exposed. Slow process. No neighbor with a backhoe or a cat?

those roots cut nice with a sharp full sized axe. The rocks will chip the axe up a bit, but you can sharpen it when you are done.
Note I say a full sized axe. Hatchets are dangerous.

I could not see the rocks, you can rent the smallest stump grinder from places like Home Depot and that would grind those down in short order if the rocks are not crazy and you want to mess with it.

On the other hand if your going to take the tree anyway maybe time to say timber.

Been taking 6 or so trees down each year for the past 5 years about the size of yours or bigger. Used the grinder to take down some roots too, easy enough.

I would try a different approach. Why not build up the lawn with some topsoil or lawn dressing? Make the ground higher than the roots.

Remove the tree to slightly above ground. Buy a gallon of concentrated Sulfuric Acid. With proper protective equipment, apply acid to center of roots. It took my tree about 10 days for the root system to disintegrate, with no further action on my part.

Remove the tree to slightly above ground. Buy a gallon of concentrated Sulfuric Acid. With proper protective equipment, apply acid to center of roots. It took my tree about 10 days for the root system to disintegrate, with no further action on my part.

Yes, emphasis on the protective equipment (full face shield over safety goggles, full coverage acid apron. Rubber gloves and plastic gauntlets. Source of water (lots of water.) etc. In short, if you are in doubt, don't. Not an expert, so YMMV.

I don't care about harming the tree as it's days are numbered anyway. The trunk is partially rotted and will soon become a fall hazard to me while mowing. I'll probably hire out the removal of the tree because at 73, back, knee, and shoulder issues dictate that I show some sense and hire that out. Plus DW gets all anxious when I do stuff like that.

So - any ideas of an easy way to get rid of surface tree roots, preferably involving the use of pixie dust or some such quick and easy method?

I agree with your wife. Time to blow that dough and hire a tree removal service.

From the picture I would dig down on both ends of those roots and cut them off. I then would cut down the tree and limb it and cut into firewood logs. I wouldn't have someone else do it at this point in my life.

Firewood someone would come and haul away for firewood.

Good luck Walt34.

I agree with your wife. Time to blow that dough and hire a tree removal service.

Alan and your DW are totally right. We had 2 river birch trees here when we moved in. One was about 5 ft. from house between it and sidewalk. I knew it would eventually cause problems so I cut it down and applied a stump remover to the stump. That was 10 years ago, we left the other one untul last year, stupidly.:facepalm: During that time it grew too big for me to handle, the roots ran under the sidewalk and raised one corner up and generally made a mess. DW said she wanted it gone but I couldn't touch it because It might fall on me or the house or I might cut my foot off!!! So we hired it out -- they came in cut it down ,chipped it all up, then ground up the trunk and all the roots up to to driveway and the sidewalk. Now she has a little flower garden in that corner I'm still whole and Mama is happy! :dance:

I’d start by taking the whole tree down. Then recip saw / chain saw the exposed roots. Dig around the tree so that there is no dirt /rocks where you are sawing. Get some dirt and cover up what is left.

If you can’t get rid of the logs and branches easily then hire someone to take the tree out.

I'd also say hire someone. That's a lot of tree to get rid of, never mind the roots.

We had a massive bamboo system taken out, which required complete root removal - our regular tree guy showed up with this that made quick and easy work. It's hard to see, but the front of the machine is a 24" circular blade. Cut up the system like butter.

I've re-planted that whole bed and found no roots left.

Attachments

• IMG_20220912_120443347.jpg
    IMG_20220912_120443347.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 29

+1

But if you do DIY, I wonder if you could drill a number of holes into the exposed roots and then apply the acid to the exposed roots to get only the exposed roots to disintegrate, leaving the unexposed roots to continue supporting the tree (whihc looks very healthy to me).

I did this recently by taking a digging iron and sharpening the business end with a bench grinder, then whack away at it using a slight angle like you would with an axe. The weight of the digging iron helped chip thorough it in no time at all.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll continue mulling things over and decide on a course of action. Maybe try craigslist for someone looking for free firewood (we can't use it).

I recommend getting a professional tree service to take down, dispose of the tree and grind up the stump. Yes, it won’t be cheap but these guys know what they are doing. A freebie “for firewood” can easily hurt themselves and do a poor job plus leave the stump. Grinding the stump is pretty important.

Let the tree removal people take care of it - you are paying them to do the rest anyway.

Here's a few pictures of my recent root removal project. Used a digging iron with a sharpened end, circular saw with an old blade, a reciprocating saw and a scissors jack. If you decide to use a circular saw, please place your body to the side of the saw, not behind it, because the saw WILL kick back and you don't want to be in its path. Took about 30 minutes and got a little exercise. The root was over 9 feet long and over 6 inches in diameter in some sections.

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have all of those tools except the scissors jack and can probably get by without one. Or that's the kind of thing Harbor Freight tools are for if I really want it. For now I'm just nibbling away at it from time to time with the reciprocating saw.

Finally, success! Yay!

Diablo makes really good saw blades. I'm amazed at how sharp that thing still is after all the abuse I put the poor thing through digging in the dirt. Well, it is a carbide blade. Anyway, I kept at it and eventually the root gave in and came out. That was the biggest one so I'm sure the smaller ones will be easier. Prying with a digging stick helped too.

Thank you all for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom