"Hold my beer and watch this" (The Darwin Thread)

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Man dies after lighting firework on his head

A San Antonio man died after a firework exploded on his head Tuesday morning.

The Bexar County Medical Examiner said 43-year-old [redacted] died from head injuries due to a fireworks explosion mishap on July 5.

[The deceased] and his friends were drinking and shooting off fireworks at a residence ... just after midnight when he decided to light a mortar-type firework from the top of his head, according to the San Antonio Police Department.

The firework exploded from the bottom of the tube, instantly piercing [his] head, officials said.

It may be time for a physics refresher.

I'll usually be entertained by any story starting with "Hold my beer and watch this".

I used to love firecrackers, and used them a lot as a kid.
Really despised how gov't banned them in places I lived as I felt they were not really dangerous.

A few decades ago, at the cabin, I had some old ones left over and brought them out.
Told the 3 other people to light and throw them far way quickly to explode.
I demonstrated how to do it.
Some of us throw some and enjoy the fun !
The last fellow about 35 yrs old, lights one and then just holds it in his fingers watching it, well it goes BANG and burns his fingers but no loss of digits.

I realized then, gov't has that rule because Darwin rules !

I no longer invite people to light firecrackers.

I used explosives underground for construction projects and making little bad rocks out of big bad rocks. Fire crackers are for pikers, and just as unsafe if used improperly.

The older I get the more I realize the lists of things that don't mix well with booze is extensive.

I realize hold my beer was probably literal in this case. I feel for his family.

That story looks familiar. What's the dateline on it?

Ok I have another one for you, watch till the end...

(sorry i only found it on twitter).

What gets me, is this is their own video from their own security cam, so they not only created this debacle, but decided to share it somewhere public.

Ok I have another one for you, watch till the end...

(sorry i only found it on twitter).

What gets me, is this is their own video from their own security cam, so they not only created this debacle, but decided to share it somewhere public.

I'm amazed the car didn't catch fire as well.

Can you imagine being the neighbor across the street, and looking forward to this every year from these folks, launching things towards your property.

In previous years, we used to find rockets on our roof and yard.

This is my favorite regarding fireworks. Fair warning, you will see bare butt cheeks. Otherwise hilarious! What’s most disturbing is the number of related videos on YouTube.

Most unfortunately, there appears to be no shortage of new candidates for Darwin Awards.

Michael,

I'm surprised you would bring politicians into this discussion. Doesn't seem like you! :rolleyes:

youbet

Last edited:
That was good. Reminds me of 35 years ago when a kid (maybe 12) approached me after I lit off a safe and sane "whistler"

He said I can show you how to make them explode. I said "not interested"

He then proceeds to take one out of his pocket, tear off the base, put it on the ground and stamp on it with his foot. Leaves it on the ground (flat) and lights it.

It started screaming, lit out into the street and exploded under a car.

Good thing the gas tank wasn't leaking eh?

Stupid is everywhere and stupid is as stupid does.

I certainly played with my share of fireworks as a kid, nothing bigger than an M-80. Fireworks were technically illegal in our state, but one just had to go to the nearest Chinatown neighborhood and they were being sold openly, without any issue (it was considered part of cultural celebrations).

Usually we would just lay them on the ground or in some container, light them, and run like heck. Once I held on too long to a firecracker before tossing it, it went off soon after I let go of it, and the force was enough to numb my pinky for a couple of days. That was a close call.

The most destructive thing my friends and I did, by accident, was setting a vacant lot on fire. I was about 11. We would tie a Brillo pad to a clothesline rope, light the Brillo pad, and run down the street spinning the rope in circles and hitting the ground with it. This would create a big circle of sparks flying every which way. We would have races with this. After one race past the vacant lot by about six of us, one of my friends noticed flames in the lot. Sure enough, we had throw enough sparks to set some of the bushes on fire. We spent the next 30 minutes throwing and water (fortunately a nearby fire hydrant was open) putting the flames out.

I never told our children my adventures with fireworks until they were adults, no need to tempt them before that :D.

We used to play rocket fights like a team sport when I was a teenager. 10 on each side, lighting rocket in a hand and then shooting it on to the other team. Think of the dodge ball! Man, that was stupid!

Last edited:
In 2003, I was working in a public clinic, and met a new family to the clinic, happy parents with a two year old. Two days later I read in the paper that the father had his head blown off by fireworks. Apparently they were lighting them and putting them in a makeshift cannon. When one didn't go off in the time he expected, he looked into the cannon the firework finally did its thing, killing him instantly.

Back
Top Bottom