Home EV charging

Does anyone have a setup for feeding power back to the home from the EV?

Or for those with solar, anyone look into battery power storage systems?

We have two Teslas, solar and Tesla Powerwalls (batteries).
The Teslas are not set up to feed power to the house. Some EVs can be set up to do that (Ford Lightning for example).

As others have mentioned, there is a setting in our Tesla to only charge off solar. We are both home most days, so we take advantage of that option.

We had a 6 hour power outage Sunday over a significant corner of our Island. I'm betting that many wished their EVs could have powered their homes but I've yet to hear a story of anyone doing that on Island. I think such a capability would have made the news. Here in our condo building, I don't think there would be any easy way to hook up an EV to power one's apartment, but SFHs should be easy with the right equipment and hook ups. I see more EVs almost every time I am out. Maybe this latest outage will encourage folks to buy whatever equipment is needed for the reversal of the power. I assume such equipment must include a lock-out to prevent energizing beyond one's own home.

We had a 6 hour power outage Sunday over a significant corner of our Island. I'm betting that many wished their EVs could have powered their homes but I've yet to hear a story of anyone doing that on Island. I think such a capability would have made the news. Here in our condo building, I don't think there would be any easy way to hook up an EV to power one's apartment, but SFHs should be easy with the right equipment and hook ups. I see more EVs almost every time I am out. Maybe this latest outage will encourage folks to buy whatever equipment is needed for the reversal of the power. I assume such equipment must include a lock-out to prevent energizing beyond one's own home.

Increasing numbers of EVs support V2L where the EV can have an extension cord into which you can plug regular appliances. It is aimed mostly at the camping community but if you had a power outage at home you could certainly plug in things like your fridge and freezer to stop food spoiling.

Here is one from Hyundai

https://www.hyundai.co.nz/v2l#:~:text=Vehicle to Load Adaptor,the vehicle is turned off.

“ Vehicle-To-Load” (V2L) allows you to use the stored energy from electric vehicles high-voltage to recharge an e-bike, or power electrical camping equipment, or some domestic appliances, and this is even possible when the vehicle is turned off. A V2L External Adaptor is required to use this function.

Though the Cybertruck is capable, it’s not simple…
Electrek said:
Powershare is Tesla’s new bidirectional charging feature, which seems to include vehicle-to-load, vehicle-to-home, and vehicle-to-vehicle capabilities (V2L, V2H, and V2V).

V2L refers to a vehicle’s capability to power equipment through five outlets – two 120 V 20 A outlets in the bed and cabin, each, and one 240 V 40 A outlet in the bed. This can be used for work equipment, camping, or other mobile power necessities (emergency response, for example). Tesla confirmed that the Cybertruck has 9.6 kW worth of continuous power combined through five outlets in the vehicle.

But Cybertruck does have 11.5 kW output capability from its V2H system, which allows it to power a home in the event of a power outage or grid instability.

Tesla’s solution is no different – to power your home, you will need additional equipment, seemingly in the form of Tesla’s Universal Wall Connector ($595) and Gateway ($1,800) products and, optionally, Tesla’s Backup Switch (though this may depend on your utility).

But the big difference here is the existence of the Tesla Powerwall. The company says that homes with Powerwall and Tesla’s Wall Connector installed will be ready to use Powershare without additional equipment (although it refers alternately to its Wall Connector and Universal Wall Connector, so we’re not sure which one is compatible, or both, or whether you need one made after a certain year, or what).

Last edited:
Our last home on the mainland, I had a grid isolater (not sure what you call that) installed so I could hook up my generator and energize the house without energizing the line to the house. I never actually had to use it, but tried it out and it w*rked. It was a couple hundred of hardware IIRC and maybe $300 electrician time. With a $500 B&S generator, I was good to go for maybe 24 hours (that B&S generator DRANK gasoline!) Heh, heh, my ICE car could run my house - if I sucked gas out of my car to put in the generator.:cool:

The Technology Connections kid did a poor man's version of this with his Ioniq 5, on his Connextras channel: Ioniq 5

Kinda cool. My set up was "whole house" but I could see running the fridge and maybe the microwave (a hungry boy can survive.)

In this cooler weather we’ve been enjoying, I have been charging during daylight hours too. We don’t get a break in price for non-peak hours.

However I’ll switch back to early morning wee hours charging when hotter weather is here.

I'm trying to just use the solar but if the sun goes behind a cloud it doesn't matter much since our electric rate is flat until summer. We have long days in the summer so I may try to do daytime charging but keeping it conservative enough to avoid the higher daytime rates.

I'm trying to just use the solar but if the sun goes behind a cloud it doesn't matter much since our electric rate is flat until summer. We have long days in the summer so I may try to do daytime charging but keeping it conservative enough to avoid the higher daytime rates.

No possibility for me to use solar at this time, but I've often wondered:

Most of us drive during the day when charging would be ideal. Does that w*rk out for most solar charging folks? Sounds a bit like a Catch 22 but I haven't heard how much solar time is needed for most EVs.

Our electric provider isn't capable of allowing very many people to net meter, so "off grid" seems the only choice and that would seem ideal for charging EVs - except that daytime is when most of us are "out and about" in our cars. YMMV

The Technology Connections kid did a poor man's version of this with his Ioniq 5, on his Connextras channel: ...

I watch a lot of his videos, but I wish he'd be more concise. He could have simulated all that with a few measurements, and got a good idea how long the car could power those loads. He really drags it out.

I wish he would have tested the statement he made near the end. He said the car was not as efficient at converting battery power to AC power, but is that a mostly constant loss as long as it is in power delivery mode, or is it more a percentage of power delivered? IOW, would you still waste much of that if all you were powering was an LED reading lamp? If that was the case, you could cycle power and only run the fridge and freezer for 1 hour on 2 hours off or something like that.

Either way, it's sufficient for an extended power out, if you limit your peak usage, so pretty useful.

-ERD50

Most of us drive during the day when charging would be ideal. Does that w*rk out for most solar charging folks? Sounds a bit like a Catch 22 but I haven't heard how much solar time is needed for most EVs.

Our electric provider isn't capable of allowing very many people to net meter, so "off grid" seems the only choice and that would seem ideal for charging EVs - except that daytime is when most of us are "out and about" in our cars. YMMV

net metering is going away most places but generally has been replaced by less generous programs. I think it would be difficult or impossible to get condo owners on board to add solar.

How much you need to charge depends on how much you drive, efficiency, and the amount of solar available. On most days I drive maybe 15 miles. I can recover that in a couple of hours of charging.

We have the option of feeding back from our EV but would need a new charger.

We do have solar battery storage so charge up every day and powers the house all day.

And this is in North Yorkshire, which is like the middle of England?

You can generate enough power from solar for the house and also charge the EV?

Is this all year round or mostly spring/summer/fall?

And this is in North Yorkshire, which is like the middle of England?

You can generate enough power from solar for the house and also charge the EV?

Is this all year round or mostly spring/summer/fall?

This is for the whole of the UK.

For about 8 months we generate enough solar that we have net zero consumption for the house, excluding the EV. We have no AC and the water is heated on demand from a gas boiler.

Over the course of a year we export about 40% of what we generate as the long summer months generate a lot.

Since we have an EV our overnight rates / kWh are less than what we get paid for export so we charge the solar batteries fully overnight even during the summer as it is cheaper overall.

net metering is going away most places but generally has been replaced by less generous programs. I think it would be difficult or impossible to get condo owners on board to add solar.

How much you need to charge depends on how much you drive, efficiency, and the amount of solar available. On most days I drive maybe 15 miles. I can recover that in a couple of hours of charging.

Thanks. That sounds very doable for anyone who can have their own solar system. If you have to miss a couple of days due to clouds, you could make it up on the next sunny day. Cool.

Works great for us. Each of our cars is generally at home for 4-6 hours of peak solar production.
Even on a cloudy day, we produce enough for our house plus a bit for the cars if needed.
It takes a downright stormy day to block the panels completely.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom