home security

nphx

Recycles dryer sheets
Arrggh … second nuisance property theft this year. This time they took a tailgate off a truck (geez it was beat up anyway and I need to apologize to the chap who lost his so I can buy a replacemnt one off ebay) in my back yard and a floor jack that leaked within a minute of lifting a load. My house has a few perimeter cameras and alarms… but on an acre lot it doesn’t cover then north 40. Now I’ll spend my weekend adding them to the “palace”/man cave/aka garage out back.
So a few days of thinking through a Joe Horn scenario (Castle law in TX) , razor wire on the block wall (and how would I feel seeing that as well as what is my insurance liability… and does the 8 foot standard mean from the bottom or top) .. and oh electric fence would be soooo cool and less intrusive to me than razor wire – back to thinking of liability … this sucks.
Ok – settled on another set of cameras (cool night vision ones) , another DVR (these are cool – they email you and post to an FTP when a scene changes) to feel like I’m a bit more secure.

Claymore mines. Oops, there's that liability thing again! Seriously, I've thought about placing some of those cameras that hunters use to see how big the deer are on a trail at night. Intruder comes into range and FLASH goes the camera, capturing his image and likely scaring the crap out of him.:D

Claymore mines. Oops, there's that liability thing again! Seriously, I've thought about placing some of those cameras that hunters use to see how big the deer are on a trail at night. Intruder comes into range and FLASH goes the camera, capturing his image and likely scaring the crap out of him.:D

I think that results in a smashed or stolen camera.

I still don't understand how you can be liable for something that happens while someone is committing a crime against you... boggles my mind.

Reminded of a story (Stella Award Winner) where a burglar sued a family who was away on vacation, because while robbing the house he locked himself in the garage, and had to live off of dog food for 2 days until the family got back. Sued them for psychological damages I think it was.

As someone who has had his house totally cleaned out before...my personal favorite would be a Tesla Coil mounted on the roof. zap!

I still don't understand how you can be liable for something that happens while someone is committing a crime against you... boggles my mind.

Reminded of a story (Stella Award Winner) where a burglar sued a family who was away on vacation, because while robbing the house he locked himself in the garage, and had to live off of dog food for 2 days until the family got back. Sued them for psychological damages I think it was.

As someone who has had his house totally cleaned out before...my personal favorite would be a Tesla Coil mounted on the roof. zap!

I think it has something to do with the punishment not fitting the crime. Like the guy whose business had been burglarized several times by thieves cutting through the roof. He set up a metal net under the area where they made the hole and connected it to an electric source. A thief broke in, fell in the net and was electrocuted. The business owner was prosecuted for murder because death was not an appropriate punishment for burglary, at least in the eyes of the D.A. The business owner had meted out the punishment of death in advance because death was a reasonable expectation if someone fell into his trap while burglarizing his place.

Back
Top Bottom